Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:51:39 AM EDT
What's a typical "maintenance schedule" for an AR?

In other words....how frequently should I clean certain parts and/or replace parts?

I clean the barrel after every trip to the range, but what about stuff like cleaning the gas tube...and replacing the gas ring? Any advice would be great....this is my first AR
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:54:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By imq707s:

In other words....how frequently should I clean certain parts and/or replace parts?

I clean the barrel after every trip to the range, but what about stuff like cleaning the gas tube...and replacing the gas ring? Any advice would be great....this is my first AR

The gas tube is self cleaning. Every single time you fire a shot, the tube gets cleaned. Do NOT waste your time and money on those long pipe cleaners. All they do is remove more money from your wallet and possibly get stuck in the gas tube.

Replace the gas rings when they are worn out. Here is how you check. Remove the bolt from the carrier. Place the bolt back in the carrier without placing the cam back in. Hold the carrier upside down with the bolt facing downward. If the bolt slides out of the carrier under its own weight, it's time to replace the rings.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:37:25 AM EDT
if the gas tube is at the point where it cause problems then its time to replace it, along with the gas rings.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:52:13 AM EDT
I got 10 extra firing pin retaining pins because I didnt want the frusteration of getting the bastard back in. They seem to last me about 10 cleanings until they are bent and fugly. Some people recommend the perma pin but I will stick to the little pins for under a buck at bushmaster.com
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:18:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:59:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rebel_rifle:

Originally Posted By imq707s:

I clean the barrel after every trip to the range, but what about stuff like cleaning the gas tube...and replacing the gas ring? Any advice would be great....this is my first AR hr

The gas tube is self cleaning. Every single time you fire a shot, the tube gets cleaned. Do NOT waste your time and money on those long pipe cleaners. All they do is remove more money from your wallet and possibly get stuck in the gas tube.

Replace the gas rings when they are worn out. Here is how you check. Remove the bolt from the carrier. Place the bolt back in the carrier without placing the cam back in. Hold the carrier upside down with the bolt facing downward. If the bolt slides out of the carrier under its own weight, it's time to replace the rings.

Ditto. The AR/M16 rifle is not a complicated equipment to clean. Just pay attention to what rebel_rifle said, and your rifle will be worry free.
Top Top