Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 10:12:24 AM EST
I'm looking to mail-order a new complete upper (with or without bolt, I have a spare) for a new lower I just bought.

The only must-have is a 16" with threaded barrel (so I can use my AAC suppressor on it). Beyond that, I like the idea of a lightweight profile, unless the skinny barrel is much more affected by the suppressor's weight than a heavy barrel is.

I've found the three mail order houses in shotgun news, and prices all seem right in the same range; frankly one of them (Model 1?) has whole gun kits just missing stripped lower for only $80-$100 or so more than just the upper. This seems like a good idea, since for that $80 or $100, I'd get the bolt, charging handle, stock, recoil spring & buffer, and all the parts needed to rebuild a stripped lower.

Any word or advice on brands or suppliers to avoid or try first..?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:24:19 AM EST

Browse through here: jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/board.html?b=7

Lots of dealers who support the board sell all types of uppers and 99% of them stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:53:30 AM EST
JTAC Supply can hook you up with just about any kind of upper you want shipped to your door.... JTAC
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:21:28 PM EST
Thanks. I talked to the guy at JTAC; don't recall his name. His stuff was more "high-end" oriented than I was looking for, as I'm looking to build a pretty plain-jane CAR-15. Also, (strangely, to me anyway) all his uppers were 1-in-7, and I wanted a 1-in-9.

He suggested both Model One and JT (JP?) Enterprises, and on his suggestion, I ordered a plain CAR "kit" from Model One.

His help was very straightforward and very appreciated, especially considering that what I was looking for wasn't something he had on hand.

If I ever do start looking for a match-grade setup, I'll remember him. He seems like a true pro, and one of the good guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:39:05 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:54:22 AM EST

Originally Posted By New_guy:
Also, (strangely, to me anyway) all his uppers were 1-in-7, and I wanted a 1-in-9.

Just as a side note, you lose little to nothing going to a 1/7 vs. 1/9, but either will get the job done. Some here shoot everything from 40gr to 80gr in a 1/7 with little problems and others do the same with a 1/9.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:03:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By mongo001:

Just as a side note, you lose little to nothing going to a 1/7 vs. 1/9, but either will get the job done. Some here shoot everything from 40gr to 80gr in a 1/7 with little problems and others do the same with a 1/9.

Main reason for preferring a 'looser' twist was twofold. With the short CAR barrel, I primarily use light 55-60 grain bullets, and secondly I shoot a LOT of .22LR's out of my AR now, and this second one will probably be no exception. The 1-in-9's already pretty 'tight' for a .22lr; I was worried a 1-in-7 would be pushing it too much.

Thanks for the replies.
Top Top