Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 5:18:08 AM EDT
For those that have used them, why?  I've got Magpuls on my mags, but it looks like the tabs might be better.  Should I switch?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#1]
i use the magpuls but the plates look like they would serve its purpose better, it would probably depend on how you pull/load the mags

buy a few and see how they work out for you
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
That's probably what I'll do.  The tabs weren't out when I started using the magpuls, but I'm not going to be clipping them into a biner and it seems like the tabs would be just as easy to pull the mags with.  Plus I don't have to worry about them fitting in various pouches and rigs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I've staying with the Magpuls.  The extra surface is useful when doing clearance work and reloads.  I've had things get crapped up through dust/ dirt in the magwell, and there are more times than I can count where my cold, wet, numb,nonfeeling fingers have not wanted to play nice.  Throw in bloody hands combined with massive amounts of adrenalin and my worst fears start to come into play.  I'll use every small advantage I can get, but I've been told I'm a little paranoid......

Whats that?   You say I haven't posted a picture in awhile...... ok, insert mandatory picture here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#4]
It wouldn't be a Sticky post without pics.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I was pretty sure that deep in your heart, you were looking for pictures.....

Hopefully my reasons make sense on the Magpul sleeves.  My gear is setup so the Magpuls don't interfere, but I don't usually carry more than 6 mags on my LBV.  Truth be told, the Magpul on the primary magazine is what I consider to be most important.  The ability to rip that mag free under any condition is just too important to me.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Through the darkness the light was revealed by the Prohet of the First Church of the Painful Truth, Stickman, who had put the truth into visual form, and it was good.
Can a brutha get a "Hell Yeah?"
Your reasons do look good, and are partly why I've clung to the magpuls.  I actually don't keep a magpul on my hotmag, but after seeing your reasoning I think I'll change that.
My gear doesn't really interfere with the magpuls but it does limit the number of mags I can put in some types of pouches.  Not that that's a big bitch, and I'm actually looking at getting some single mag shingles for a rig anyway.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
....and I'm actually looking at getting some single mag shingles for a rig anyway.

Tactical Tailor was closing out a bunch of gear, including single and 3 panel mag pouches.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#8]
That was the wrong thing to tell me one week before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Stick, shouldnt your mag fall free on its own without being "yanked"?  Mine do.

BTW, I have both.  I like the look of the ranger tabs better, but if I load 30 in the mag with the tabs I cannot insert into closed bolt.  With regular pulls and 30 just fine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:09:10 AM EDT
[#10]
He's talking about when things go to zero-point-shit in the middle of a real estate disagreement or family outing that puts the fun in dysfunctional.  Things that SHOULD happen do not neccessarily actually happen that way at that point.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:17:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Stick, shouldnt your mag fall free on its own without being "yanked"?  Mine do.

No, while they usually do, training that your magazine will always drop free is a recipe for disaster.  A real world double feed locks up your magazine pretty tight, so does sand and grit in your magazine well.  Hitting the magazine into something can tweak the aluminum and cause it to stick, as well as many other things like a simple slightly out of spec magazine.

I train, and train others that you are punching the mag release catch while ripping the magazine out with your support hand.  

You also need to remember that I am talking about real world worse case scenarios.  I've had to clear real world malfunctions, and it isn't enjoyable.  The benefit to constant training is that in this case, I had cleared the malfunction before it consciously registered what had happened.  I hit the magazine hard enough to split skin while doing my clearance drill.  I had no idea until I later looked down and saw I was smearing blood on things.

This is the point when someone will come along as say that their magazines always drop free, and that they don't train that way, or didn't learn to do things my ripping the magazine free.  I'll make my comment to these people ahead of time....... I don't care what you do, how you train, or what you think.  YSIW
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This is the point when someone will come along as say that their magazines always drop free, and that they don't train that way, or didn't learn to do things my ripping the magazine free.  I'll make my comment to these people ahead of time....... I don't care what you do, how you train, or what you think.  YSIW

Stick, it almost seems like there's something irritating you.
Anyway, I get a warm fuzzy from "YSIW."
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Szurgot had a good question, I just hate to see some jackalope internet commando come along and make up some BS answer.  

In this case, I'll just call them out before they post so there is no question about things.

ETA- My coffee intake appears to be proper (finally), however, I missed UPS while in the shower.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#14]
That sucks.  Brown Santa is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The ability to rip that mag free under any condition is just too important to me.

I've had to do that with my Ranger plates. I don't rip my mags out of the mag well unless they stick though. Instructor would slap you on the head if you went for the mag in the gun before the fresh one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've had to do that with my Ranger plates. I don't rip my mags out of the mag well unless they stick though. Instructor would slap you on the head if you went for the mag in the gun before the fresh one.

Your training is flawed, once again you miss the point entirely, and I don't really care enough today to correct you.  

Read my sig line.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I have both but I prefer the ranger plates because they work best for me in my application.  I'm not doing any shooting in a cold wet environment with bloody hands and trying to yank a magazine out of the gun.

I can fit more mags in a confined space (like an ammo can) with the ranger plates.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your training is flawed, once again you miss the point entirely, and I don't really care enough today to correct you.  

Read my sig line.

My training is different. I never said my way was better than yours, I just told you how I was trained. There is more than one right way to do things

I never pretended to know everything. I just say how I do things and why, and I am actually quite open to new ideas.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#19]
try a couple of each for your self, then get down and dirty see what ya like. I have a little of every thing. cant help but spending $ on new shit. have fun
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I cant believe no one else saw the perfect opportunity to say:

GET BOTH
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I gotta say.. I like the orignals mag puls. Never thought much of them as I was a 550 par cord and 90MPH tape kinda guy for a long time.  once i got some to try, I never looked back I guess the thing I like is their soft. When turned 90 degrees they cover the whole floorplate and protect it from being dropped/Hitting the deck. and they fit in any mag pouch I own without being oversize.

Stickman brings up a good point about yankin mags. I have been letting them drop, but like he said and I agree, I've been just lucky and have not yet ran into the scenario where I hit the mag release while my left hand is bringing up a fresh mag to find their is not an empty mag well, but a stuck mag....... and you know Murphy......
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#22]
The biggest advantage the Ranger plate has over Magpuls is the fact that the Rangers are more streamline.  The outside diameter of the magazine does not change with the Ranger.  This allows you to fit mags equipt with the Rangers easily into a bi or quad mag rig without having to squeeze the mags in as you would have to do in some tight pouches with Magpul equipted mags.  Magpuls increse the diameter around 2-3 mm on each side of the mag as they slip on the outside of the mag.  Rangers add no width to the mag whatsoever.  Both add height so you still have to deal with that.  

That in mind I prefer the Rangers because I use a quad thigh rig that has tight tolerances.  Bottom line is it's up to the user, whatever works for you.

For the record......folks, please start training for the worst of situations and rip out your empty mags on mag changes.  Nothing bad can come from this pratice.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

For the record......folks, please start training for the worst of situations and rip out your empty mags on mag changes.  Nothing bad can come from this pratice.

Easy for us lefties.  I use my right thumb to hit the eject button (the Norgon doesn't have enough leverage in my opinion.)  Since it is just as easy to grasp the mag when the thumb is hitting the release, I do and yank that sucker out of there.  That also makes mag retention easy.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the record......folks, please start training for the worst of situations and rip out your empty mags on mag changes.hing

Easy for us lefties.  I use my right thumb to hit the eject button (the Norgon doesn't have enough leverage in my opinion.)  Since it is just as easy to grasp the mag when the thumb is hitting the release, I do and yank that sucker out of there.  That also makes mag retention easy.

Maybe I'm missing the point here but I always thought that the purpose of a Magpul (or even the old-school paracord loops) was to pull the magazine out of your mag pouch NOT out of the magwell.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#25]
JUNG1999,

I can't speak for others, but I am not using the loop when I rip a magazine out of the magwell.  

My above comments are not meant in that context.  When the magazine is wet, I'm cold, tired, bleeding or fill in the blank, the Magpul portion that wraps around the mag provides additional surface sticking out when I run my hand down it.  If my hand slips off the portion of the mag that I usually grab, there is still a portion that my hand will grab and latch onto.  Hopefully this makes a little sense when written out, when demonstrating it is pretty obvious and clear.  This is the main benefit over 550 cord to me.  I ran 550 for years in the service.

I know that there are instructors and places that advocate using the loop for tactical reloads and retaining the magazine, but I find that to be extended use of fine motor skills, and I am not a big fan of teaching that way.

I hope this helps clear it up, if my above rambling doesn't make sense, reply, PM or email me and I'll be happy to go into greater detail.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
JUNG1999,

I can't speak for others, but I am not using the loop when I rip a magazine out of the magwell.  

My above comments are not meant in that context.  When the magazine is wet, I'm cold, tired, bleeding or fill in the blank, the Magpul portion that wraps around the mag provides additional surface sticking out when I run my hand down it.  If my hand slips off the portion of the mag that I usually grab, there is still a portion that my hand will grab and latch onto.  Hopefully this makes a little sense when written out, when demonstrating it is pretty obvious and clear.  This is the main benefit over 550 cord to me.  I ran 550 for years in the service.

I know that there are instructors and places that advocate using the loop for tactical reloads and retaining the magazine, but I find that to be extended use of fine motor skills, and I am not a big fan of teaching that way.

I hope this helps clear it up, if my above rambling doesn't make sense, reply, PM or email me and I'll be happy to go into greater detail.  

I agree w/ Stick completely.  That's why I use regular Magpuls.  I don't actually even use the loop for pulling them out of their pouches.  I just appreciate the extra grip the "band" portion provides.  I find that trying to shove a finger through the loop requires too much of my fine motor skills and my time energy had better be directed else where in a situation where I need to reload.  But hey, different strokes for different folks-I just prefer to grab.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#27]
I didn't see anyone mention another advantage to the original mag puls.  Since they don't rely on your magazine's aluminum tabs to stay in place, they provide a little more protection to the mag.  I have found it to be a hassle when I 've had to throw away a mag because one tab has broke and I don't trust it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
I have both (pulls and plates), and I prefer the Magpuls.
The mags that I have plates on only accept 28 rounds. To some folks a 30 round mag should only have 28 to begin with, but that is another topic all together and best left out of this thread.

Thumbs up for magpuls. They work well for getting mags with my "handi-capable" left hand.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Magpuls for me...
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top