Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 10:30:51 AM EDT
I got some brown Magpul followers prior to deployment.  I had one that wouldn't always lock the bolt back on the last round, so I left it at home.  The others were reliable, so I brought them.  Today,  I had two mags fail to lock back on the last round, a little disconcerting here in Iraq.  What is causing this, and are  there any quick fixes?  Should I just switch back to green followers?

On a side note, I fired the Browning High Power, British L85A2, and Aussie Steyr, as well as the M240, and my M4A1and Sig 226 today.  I'll expand on that if any one is interested.

Thanks for all the help,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If the Magpuls won't lock the bolt, I doubt the green ones will. Weak mag springs? Someone needs to send ya some of the Gen 2's.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Could be weak springs, also seen a few people put the spring in upside down/backward and that causes a slight tilt to the rear.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick responses.  I hadn't considered the springs.  I am leaving them loaded, but that wasn't a problem on my duty pistol back home.  I'm a reservist and cop there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Should I just switch back to green followers?

Yes!  I'm doubtful that all of the sudden more than one of your mag springs got weak.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I hadn't considered the springs.  I am leaving them loaded, but that wasn't a problem on my duty pistol back home.  I'm a reservist and cop there.

Leaving mags loaded won't impact spring strength.  Put your good followers back in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
If your in the armed forces, why not use what they issue you?

Mil-Spec Mags are great......
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Exactly.  If my life were depending on my equipment, I wouldn't be puting novelty gadgets into the mix!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.  If my life were depending on my equipment, I wouldn't be puting novelty gadgets into the mix!

The MP follower is an improvement over the issue follower, allot troops replace the stock green follower with the improved one.  

In training I have given I have noticed some lots of NIW Okay magazines giving failures to feed off the right lip, what was occurring was the follower (Green) had a slight cant with the right side being a little lower than the left.  This caused many failures, that when the follower was replaced with the MP the problem went away.  

If I were not issued HKs I would replace all my followers with the MPs.  For my personel weapons I have made the conversion.  99 percent of the time, the green is sufficient and works fine, but the MP just does a little better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
TNever had problems with my greens.

The whole point is: That is what the armory is for.....they fix your problems.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Put the green ones in so you can report back that they don't lock back either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The armory's fix for a bad magazine is either 1) put it in a box and take a different magazine from that box and send you on your way, that bad magazine will be later issued to someone else meaning you may have gotten a bad magazine or a NIW one 2) Give you another magazine and get ride of magazine.

Option 1 is most common because in many troops eyes a magazine is a magazine, is a magazine.  Option 2 often means trading the magazine with some other unit that is short magazines, again passing the problem to another unit.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:11:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The armory's fix for a bad magazine is either 1) put it in a box and take a different magazine from that box and send you on your way, that bad magazine will be later issued to someone else meaning you may have gotten a bad magazine or a NIW one 2) Give you another magazine and get ride of magazine.

Option 1 is most common because in many troops eyes a magazine is a magazine, is a magazine.  Option 2 often means trading the magazine with some other unit that is short magazines, again passing the problem to another unit.  

Yep.   We used to stomp our bad mags so the armorer couldn't reissue them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top