Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 6:41:36 PM EDT
So I recently swapped out the Colt/Rogers super stoc for a Magpul STR. While I like the better cheek weld and storage, it does not feel anywhere near as solid as the super stock. When I engage the tension lock, the stock still moves whenever I shoulder it or put any pressure on it. I've heard other people complaining about this so I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I should go about returning it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any chance a commercial stock has been mixed with a mil spec tube?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#2]
It happens.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#3]
My ACS is pretty loose as well, just noticed a few days ago which was minimal then, now its a little ridiculous (just as bad as a standard M4 stock).Anyways, Ive been doing a little research on it, and the majority of the time a rep from Magpul will interdict and tell you to send it in to them. So if I were you Id contact Magpul.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:53:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I was thinking. Mine has no play.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My ACS had a little play so I put strips of electrical tape on the top and sides of the buffer tube until it was snug. No movement now and I don't have to send anything out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My ACS had a little play so I put strips of electrical tape on the top and sides of the buffer tube until it was snug. No movement now and I don't have to send anything out.
View Quote

That's a good idea, will give that a try. Mine isn't super-loose, just enough to notice when I shoulder it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:06:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I just called Magpul, they say it's supposed to move a little bit. Not sure why, but I'm not going to bother sending it in if that's the case.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
My STR moves a little bit when the friction lock is not on, but when the friction lock is on its nice and snug.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:29:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I came across this webpage when I was using a STR (have since swapped out for a B5 Enhanced SOPMOD). If you are up to adjusting the locking mechanism of your STR this is a worthy read.

Tighten up your Magpul CTR Stock
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto.. Mine is rock solid when locked down... Do you have a some calipers to measure the opening?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Just took measurements.

My Colt receiver extension is 1.155ish. The thousandths measurement varied based on position and how the calipers were rotated, but the range was 1.152-1.158.

The measurement I got from the stock was 1.16ish. Again, couldn't get an exact measurement with calipers, but close.

I was not able to do the above link to the STR because I couldn't get the pin out. The battery tubes were in the way, and I didn't feel like drilling the rivets out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have owned 4-5 STRs as I liked the cheek weld and the ability to access the battery compartments without taking the stock off. I purchased 2 new, and then 2-3 on EE. I also strung the purchases out over a period of 2 years.

All of them had a noticeable and annoying wobble on a variety of Mil-spec buffer extensions. I'm not saying that each STR was completely loose on every buffer extension, just that if I took a CTR or SOMPMOD and rotated it around to all of my buffer extensions, both would be much tighter, with much less (if any) wobble. Buffer extensions tried:

UTG Pro 6061

Larue 7075

BCM 7075

Damage Industries 7075

Spikes 7075

PSA 6061

PSA 7075

LMT 7075

The fact that these STRs were purchased over a course of 2 years lends weight to the argument that the looseness was not a "batch" issue, but rather "as designed".

Even though many tend to think it is ugly, If Magpul would alter it in order to get it to lock up as well as the CTR, It would probably be my favorite "non-clone" stock.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several.  Some wobble, some don't.  It doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#16]
When I first read about the STR having more play than the CTR I was leery about getting one.  My CTR is rock solid.  Anyhow when I got my STR and checked it out I did not have any play to it.  It is a milspec version on a milspec spikes buffer tube.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Went to the LGS today and they had two other STRs in my same color. They were nice enough to let me try them on my extension. One was a bit tighter than mine, the other looser. I bought the tighter one. Extension is a mil-spec from Colt.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two... One on a RRA commercial tubed rifle and a mil spec Spikes.  Both are snug.  Could have been a bad run maybe?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top