Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2015 12:20:35 PM EDT
I just got a Magpul STR Mil-Spec stock. I got it on the buffer tube but it is super tight! I had a Rogers Superstock on there before and it was perfect. I have a PSA Mil-Spec buffer tube, I know I don't have a commercial buffer tube because I have one on my RRA to compare it to.

This is my first Magpul stock and I'm  pretty disappointed with how tight it is. Certainly this is not normal, so where does the problem lie? What has been your experiences with Magpul stocks on PSA tubes, or others? Maybe the tube is out of spec? I don't have any way to measure it at this point, nor do I have another Mil-Spec tube to compare to.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll loosen up, some dry lube on the buffer helps a bit too for awhile.  Mine was really snug but it worked itself out pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll loosen up, some dry lube on the buffer helps a bit too for awhile.  Mine was really snug but it worked itself out pretty quickly.
View Quote

Thanks, I'be been messing with it this morning, still pretty tight but it does seem to be loosening up quite a bit.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:23:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My STR fits very snug on my mil spec tube, but that's what I was hoping for, my previous commercial CTR setup pulled my beard hair out a lot with its loose fit
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I had your problem. Mine is too loose.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
My STR on the mil-spec 7075-T6 Brownell's buffer tube on my bedside rifle is smooth, but more snug than a Magpul MOE I have on another rifle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Appreciate the input. After moving it back and fourth on the buffer tube many many times I can say it is now to the point I feel I can use it, no longer have to use two hands and all my body weight to move it! There are distinct marks on the top of tube and both sides caused by little ridges inside the stock  Funny how some are looser and some tighter but I have to agree tight it good.  I'm assuming it doesn't take much error on the tube or stock sizes to make a noticeable difference.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I suspect they err'd on the side of snug, and you can only mold plastic but so precise maybe.
I'll throw a caliper on my tube and check it later if anyone wants to compare.
It's a Spikes I think.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I also noticed with mine that different brand buffer tubes were slightly different diameters even though both were milspec. One was a PSA, the other I don't remember (got them off EE). The STR had the slightest wiggle on one so I used the tighter one on my last build, didn't want to get beard pulled anymore!
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#10]
On a BCM mil-spec tube my ACS-L stock (for mil tubes) was/is tight. I asked this same question awhile back, it seems that they generally run tighter on mil tubes and no so much on commercial tubes (like my Bush AR MOE). Thankfully I found a "just right" spot that I don't really have a need to adjust the stock, but we will see how long that lasts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top