Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/18/2003 8:13:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 8:19:09 AM EDT by koldt]
Hi, a quick review of my time on range shooting approx 50 rounds of 40 through the 203 mounted on the M16A1 and Magpul MSS on the butt.

I am getting around 300-350 metres and minute of old car body accuracy out of my re-loads at 300m and can hit a B27 fairly consistantly at 100m. I am using cutting board plastic for the bullets/heads. They are reusable as many times as I can find em. So far about 6 shots. The load formula is for another post.

Shooting with this stock is, of course, outstanding. Very solid, and doesn't pull out any moustache hairs as with the Colt collapsible.his
The larger tube allows me to also have a more comfortable(not that big of an issue) and consistant hold. I use the quadrant sight mounted on the carry handle(I know it's not in the picture), while using my left eye to aim with.

So the quick summary; same as shooting rifle ammo,
a. more solid
b. better cheek hold
c. consistant sight picture
d. less felt recoil

Later guys,
Brad

Forgot to add, that some of the shooting was done in -20 below weather. No differences noticed in function. Felt a bit better than the aluminium stock, when the watery eyes and tears hit the stock.

http://www3.telus.net/hansonk/203m4magpul.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/hansonk/203group.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/hansonk/usacan.jpg
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:24:12 PM EDT
Damn, just looking at those pics makes me moist. :-o
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:02:29 PM EDT
Koldt- Are you using the stadia in the Elcan to aim the M203 or the forward mounted BUIS? I don't see a quadrant sight or ladder sight....... Thanks-Mike
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:17:49 AM EDT
Have you tried the new 9" barrel? I hear the accuracy is similar with less weight. Alex
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:50:03 AM EDT
Just curious, how much does that rig weigh? I gotta agree with shooter, just looking at that machine brings tears to my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:19:51 PM EDT
Mike, I've been using both the quadrant and the "battle sight". Just don't have them mounted in the pic. The lines in the Elcan don't do it other than for point of aim at 50m. There is too much elevation at further distances. I am having a new mount for the quadrant made that QDs onto the left RAS rail. Same guy that has been machining my rounds for me, just hafta be patient for my project to get done. Can't push too hard, we all know how hard it is to find a guy w/milling machine that doesn't mind doing this type of stuff. Most of the time I just keep lobbing them in by line of sight. When I do use the sights, it is pleasantly accurate. Alex, I had a 9" barrel as well, but someone offered me too much on a trade for me to keep it. I tried about 6 rounds out of it, and didn't notice too much difference in accuracy or distance. I didn't detect much difference in weight with the 9 anyway. May get this one cut later, but for now I don't want to screw with what is working. XM177, I dunno...... Obviously it's stripped when I shoot a match, but with it's Sunday go to church outfit on, I havn't weighed it. Shot some rounds today, and found em all[^]. Our range has some thick bush in places, and that is usually where I loose them. I painted them orange which helps a bit in the grass and snow in the winter. I am happy if I find 90%. The Magpul helps getting a better shoulder mount, gooooood piece of kit.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:58:24 PM EDT
Very nice setup.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:50:10 PM EDT
Koldt- When he mills the quad sight make sure you tell him to do so at an angle with more material up front. You need this to retain the ability to change windage on the rear peep- milling it flat may not give you enough adjustment to center the rounds. Also- if you replace the pivot screw with a longer screw it will give you two mounting points. I may have had this done before...BTW- there are a few people doing this conversion with a red dot sight now. Much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:03:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 6:05:50 PM EDT by koldt]
Thanks for the good words guys. For anybody interested, the cost of the bullets/heads is about the same to buy and make as a normal factory pratice round. $5.00-$7.00ea and the factory are a one shot deal. But, these are reloadable as many times as you find em. I have about 7-8 shots with some of them and they shoot just as well as new. Normal stuff applies ie. if they hit rocks they get chunks taken out etc. but they still shoot. Up here in Kanadastan the 203's are not considered a firearm (at least until we have our first drive-by m203 attack) as they shoot a projectile under 500fps. In my group of wierdo buddies, we have about 10 of them and are planning a 203 match for the first weekend in June. Mike, just saw your post. Ya, I saw the KAC done red dot, very nice. I never thought about the windage adjustment. I will keep that in mind, thanx a bunch. Brad
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:41:35 PM EDT
So let me get this straight, in the People's Republic of Canada, they let you: - own a M4 with a 14.5" barrel and flash suppressor - own a M203 with practice or dummy rounds (I assume no live ammo - have a M4 with a collapsible stock but, they won't let you.... - own full auto - have a magazine that holds more than 5 rounds (is there a preban clause at all??????) Is that M203 modified in anyway to prevent the launch of live ammo and are you a police guy or military? This is interesting........
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:51:52 PM EDT
themao- Yup Yup, live HE is controlled through our Explosives Act. But none in my or any other civilian hands. Yup Nope Nope Nope, it's as it came off the factory shelf(other than wear)and my painting in the logo. Actually we still have about 4000 full-auto guns registered to guys, but grandfathered in 1978. Don't forget, if it saves just one......... Before you start, everything you are thinking about saying has been said a kabillion times already. Don't ask, there is no reason.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:48:27 PM EDT
Hummmm, makes one consider the prospect of moving to the Great White North... You have some very nice toys Brad, when I scrolled down the page I made the same sound the news crew made covering the detonation of the MOAB in North Florida, Whoooo... :-O I want to grow up and be like you:-) 48 & not there yet, Mike
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:39:17 AM EDT
HI, my first post. Where can I buy one of those stocks??
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:54:54 AM EDT
Contact Richard at Magpul. If you check some of the other posts here on AR15, he has his contact info. Or check Magpul's web site. Sorry, I don't know it's address off the top of my brain. They are into production now with some improvements, as mine is one of the experimental marked stocks. I have seen the production ones and the differences are minor. Not that, that is a good or bad thing. Basically look the same, which I think is great. Better buttons etc. You won't go wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:30:53 AM EDT
Mike_KeyWest, I'll swap ya anytime.... A couple of -35 below mornings and your rear grinding on the vinyl truck seats will make you want to be in Fla. Actually, our laws bite, the very few nice things we have are far outweighed by the ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:19:32 PM EDT
Holy jeebus, $265-285.00 for one of those stocks... I'll stick to $20-30 4poss. car stocks thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:24:48 PM EDT
Great looking M4 man, I got to give you that! I have a question for us here in the USA. Can I mount a 40mm tube to a 37mm reciever?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:26:50 PM EDT
Also, How much powder does one put in those blue practice round cases?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:52:43 AM EDT
I don't think it is an easy conversion to put the 40mm tube onto one of the 37 receivers. I believe there are quite a few considerations, ie, frame pressure/integrity, actual mounting, legal stuff etc. The blue cup on the practise rounds are filled with the same basic stuff as carpenters line chalk. I dunno how much, just filled up I guess. The cup is held into place with metal weight (I think it is zinc) that replicates the mass of an HE load. That zinc is the driving band, and more, that is seen in the picture. I have actually reloaded just the weight. Also fun. I'll try to get a pic on the post of just the metal thingy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:18:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U: Great looking M4 man, I got to give you that! I have a question for us here in the USA. Can I mount a 40mm tube to a 37mm reciever?
View Quote
You can buy the 203 receiver and put a 37mm tube on it, it's apparently a title 1 firearm at that point rather than a DD. Check it out here: [url]http://mr40mm.com/page2.html[/url] :) I'm planning on doing this for my pre-ban... probably with my tax refund next year. Talk about an expensive fore-grip! [:D] Alex
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:35:24 PM EDT
Brad - now all we need to do is have you get rid of that ELCAN...
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:44:17 PM EDT
God damn! $2,700 for just the rec.????? It probably only cost $5 to make!!! I think i am going to stick to the 37mm and not to broke.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:22:31 PM EDT
[>(] I want one damnit!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:27:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U: God damn! $2,700 for just the rec.????? It probably only cost $5 to make!!! I think i am going to stick to the 37mm and not to broke.
View Quote
Yeah, you've got to pay to play. There's a local Class 3 dealer that has a M203 that needs heat treating... he's offered it to me for 1000 plus transfer tax. I just need to find someone who'll heat treat it and determine the cost of that.... Alex
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:39:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 5:42:28 PM EDT by koldt]
M4, man if you can make it for less than about $1,500-$2,000 you could make a bunch O money. I had a buddy get one made at a machine shop, had it engraved with the original AAI logo etc, a real piece of art. In 1989 dollars it was around $1,500.00 and the machinist threw him out (figuratively) as that was what he quoted my buddy and he lived up to it, very honourable. There is a lot of machining, especially internally. Then all the parts and barrel had to be put in, more money. I have had a few requests for a bit more loading data. I'll get bullet material, manufacture, and dimensions etc, posted within a couple of days. Kevin, gotta use what works with the kit.[:)] You above all else knows that. Lousy day at the range with GMac. I couldn't hit sheet. Alex, Sounds like a good price. I don't/didn't know that you could get aluminum tempered. Maybe try an aircraft refab shop.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:53:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By koldt: M4, man if you can make it for less than about $1,500-$2,000 you could make a bunch O money. I had a buddy get one made at a machine shop, had it engraved with the original AAI logo etc, a real piece of art. In 1989 dollars it was around $1,500.00 and the machinist threw him out (figuratively) as that was what he quoted my buddy and he lived up to it, very honourable. There is a lot of machining, especially internally. Then all the parts and barrel had to be put in, more money.
View Quote
I am not calling you a liar. But I do not think it costs that much to make one. Im sorry. If you can rent a CAD machine and the CAD data for one. There os noooooo way it would come out costing 1,500 to make them on a lage scale. Perhaps your friend told the machine sho[ how much they costs and the machine guy "made him a deal"?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:58:06 PM EDT
HOLY SHITTAKE MUSHROOMS THAT'S A SWEET THANG YOU GOT THERE. Go Canada!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:38:10 PM EDT
I had a Shivak unit with the 22LR BH unit. It was some cool shit. You wouldn't think 18 22s would kick so much! At 20' it would punch a 2.5" hole in the side of a steel drum. For it to be real fun though you needed multiple rounds, otherwise it took 5 min to reload the round with more 22s. The rounds are about $350 each! SorryOciffer
Top Top