Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2010 4:23:59 AM EDT
Good morning,

I am soon to receive my first AR!  I've wanted one for quite some time and my great friend Jamie made it happen. A Stag Arms model 2. I'm very excited about it and have been looking at some accessories for it.   As it's my first I am new to the rifle and have a question for you all.   One of them is changing out the handguard, buttstock and grip.  I've been looking at the Magpul MOE kit.  The complete kit comes with a replacement mil-spec buffer tube, etc. but I am unsure if I need these items?  According to the Stag Arms site it says the upper is mil-spec but not sure if that applies to the buffer tube and parts?   I'm don't know what constitutes a "commercial" vs mil-spec replacement part and who would need the buffer tube parts or not.  It's really not less expensive to skip the buffer tube parts kit though.........

Thanks a lot and happy holidays.

Christian
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:27:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Your buffer tube should be Mil-spec on a Stag. Have only owned one and it was.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the site.

Quoted:
Good morning,

I am soon to receive my first AR!  I've wanted one for quite some time and my great friend Jamie made it happen. A Stag Arms model 2. I'm very excited about it and have been looking at some accessories for it.   As it's my first I am new to the rifle and have a question for you all.

Congrats.  Welcome to the world of BRD.

One of them is changing out the handguard, buttstock and grip.  I've been looking at the Magpul MOE kit.  The complete kit comes with a replacement mil-spec buffer tube, etc. but I am unsure if I need these items?  According to the Stag Arms site it says the upper is mil-spec but not sure if that applies to the buffer tube and parts?   I'm don't know what constitutes a "commercial" vs mil-spec replacement part and who would need the buffer tube parts or not.  It's really not less expensive to skip the buffer tube parts kit though.........

The Stag buffer tube (i.e. receiver extension) is mil-spec.  If you're still curious, use the search function to find out the difference between mil-spec and commercial.  It's been discussed a lot.

This is probably the best price you'll find on the kit new: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOEKITBLK.aspx

I say, get the whole kit.  You can sell the parts you don't need.  Email me if you want to sell the extra buffer tube.  I've been looking for one.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for the replies, help and welcome. I will search on the difference between the buffer parts. I should have searched that topic. I just searched Magpul MOE.  

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi again Dustin1911- I did take your advice and changed my query a bit- found plenty on mil-spec v commerical.  Thanks. I will get in touch w. you when I get the kit. I did find the kit at DSG.  That's where I'll go.

Quoted:
Welcome to the site.

Quoted:
Good morning,

I am soon to receive my first AR!  I've wanted one for quite some time and my great friend Jamie made it happen. A Stag Arms model 2. I'm very excited about it and have been looking at some accessories for it.   As it's my first I am new to the rifle and have a question for you all.

Congrats.  Welcome to the world of BRD.

One of them is changing out the handguard, buttstock and grip.  I've been looking at the Magpul MOE kit.  The complete kit comes with a replacement mil-spec buffer tube, etc. but I am unsure if I need these items?  According to the Stag Arms site it says the upper is mil-spec but not sure if that applies to the buffer tube and parts?   I'm don't know what constitutes a "commercial" vs mil-spec replacement part and who would need the buffer tube parts or not.  It's really not less expensive to skip the buffer tube parts kit though.........

The Stag buffer tube (i.e. receiver extension) is mil-spec.  If you're still curious, use the search function to find out the difference between mil-spec and commercial.  It's been discussed a lot.

This is probably the best price you'll find on the kit new: http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGMOEKITBLK.aspx

I say, get the whole kit.  You can sell the parts you don't need.  Email me if you want to sell the extra buffer tube.  I've been looking for one.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The whole kit is the way to go and cheaper, If the butt stock  fit is a little loose the MP one in the kit will fit nice for sure. You can always sell off  the other stuff if don't need it.  FWIW I own a couple kits and DSG is great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you Rocker for the advice. Yes, I've read in the reviews that DSG is a great place to buy.

Quoted:
The whole kit is the way to go and cheaper, If the butt stock  fit is a little loose the MP one in the kit will fit nice for sure. You can always sell off  the other stuff if don't need it.  FWIW I own a couple kits and DSG is great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top