Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2012 9:36:44 AM EDT
I just picked up a colt 6920 with the Magpul furtiture on it.  I'm wanting to mount a Grip Pod GPS-02 on it, so I am going to need to mount a picatinny rail on the underside.

I have seen that Magpul offers some polymer bolt on rails, but I not to thrilled with the sound of plastic bolt on rails.

So does anyone know if anyone makes aluminum picatinny rails that are a direct bolt on and what length I need to get for the setup I plan on running?

And finally, will this be a solid set up with the MOE handguard and vertical grip/bipod, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
The magpul polymers rails are good to go. They are very stout and will not break if thats what your asking. I have some on one of my AR's and I have never experienced a problem with them. If you are so worried about it, Why don't you just get a Daniel Defense drop in rail and call it a day?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the Magpul rails, they are gtg.  I use a pair on my A2 build, and can testify it's rock solid.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:43:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the Magpul MOE grips and you should feel more than confident using the plastic rails.  I have a VFG and light attached to mine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran a MOE vertical grip on mine for awhile and it was very solid. I have almost bought nice railed hand guards on more than one occasion, but the value the MOE offers stops me every time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just picked up a colt 6920 with the Magpul furtiture on it.  I'm wanting to mount a Grip Pod GPS-02 on it, so I am going to need to mount a picatinny rail on the underside.

I have seen that Magpul offers some polymer bolt on rails, but I not to thrilled with the sound of plastic bolt on rails.

So does anyone know if anyone makes aluminum picatinny rails that are a direct bolt on and what length I need to get for the setup I plan on running?

And finally, will this be a solid set up with the MOE handguard and vertical grip/bipod, or am I wasting my time?

Thanks

i dont have the tools nor know how to install the DD rail...plus all my other ar's have rails and i wanted something a lil different.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The magpul rail sections are fine. I've mounted a grip pod to my AR using them before. I've also put some weight behind it with the bipod deployed. It will be ok.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

i dont have the tools nor know how to install the DD rail...plus all my other ar's have rails and i wanted something a lil different.

You could search and probably find a rail system that WILL mount to the MOE hand guards, but the polymer Magpul rail sections were made for it, and several people here (myself included) have used them with no problems, durability related or otherwise.

On another note, if you're just looking to mount a vertical grip, the Magpul MOE vertical foregrip mounts directly to the MOE hand guards, no rail needed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ran a MOE vertical grip on mine for awhile and it was very solid. I have almost bought nice railed hand guards on more than one occasion, but the value the MOE offers stops me every time.

im trying to build something real lightweight, so thats why its appealing to me.

i think the MOE vert grip attaches a lil differently.  If you go with  Grip Pod or other aftermarket grip, you will need a rail.

another thing i didnt think abotu is that i have a larue FUG and i dont know if it would eat up the plastic rail?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

You could search and probably find a rail system that WILL mount to the MOE hand guards, but the polymer Magpul rail sections were made for it, and several people here (myself included) have used them with no problems, durability related or otherwise.

On another note, if you're just looking to mount a vertical grip, the Magpul MOE vertical foregrip mounts directly to the MOE hand guards, no rail needed.

yup..i believe the gun ever comes with the MOE vert grip...but i want a bipod and i think the grip pod would give me the lightest combo.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The FUG should not eat up the MOE rail sections if it is mounted properly. If it is installed loose, most likely.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Magpul polymer sections are definitely GTG. had them on my first build with no issues. The actual mounting hardware for them is metal, if you're worried about 'melting'.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:33:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Magpul polymer sections are definitely GTG. had them on my first build with no issues. The actual mounting hardware for them is metal, if you're worried about 'melting'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/tedzilla/finishedrifle07.jpg

i assume that is the carbine length guard...what is the length of that rail section?  they come in different lengths and that looks about the length of rail i want.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#13]
rjpar,IM me I have a like new 5 inch magpul rail section for you for FREE if you want it. Looking for the mounting screws and nuts right now but I am sure I have em somewhere..They need to put a Pay it Forward section here for stuff like this. The plastic rails are really solid in my opinion. Have used em with a Bipod before with no problems...Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#14]
The handguard is plastic, the grip pod is plastic, so a plastic rail section is not going to be any kind of weak point. Odds are, the handguard will break before the rail section anyways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:22:30 AM EDT
[#15]
[edit] Oh man, I didn't even read your FIRST line carefully. Reading other posts I thought you were talking about the MOE grip. I'll leave this for some noob  to read. For what it is worth I find the MOE grip very comfortable for some reason. I mean it doesn't have any finger grips or nothing but it just "fits" great. I also have all separate bipods as the combo products always looked like they would be weak. I'm not saying they are and would be interested in trying on someday.

There are two different VFG for the MOE furniture. First is the MOE MVG.

It attaches directly to your handguard with supplied screw and "nut".

Second is the MOE RVG (railed vert. grip)

It comes with a very short rail (only the width of the grip) that attaches to the handguards then the grip attaches to that.

FYI, all my components on my AR's with handguards (not FF rails) are attached on polymer rails, including all bi-pods.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top