Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2005 2:04:44 PM EDT
The new 2/3-point sling mounting system on the M93B is pretty slick.   I had been using a loop of paracord on the M93/A/A2's; this is way better.   In just a few seconds, the sling can be installed or removed as usage requires.

[ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]

Swivel attachments and the fore-end rail base are Knights.

ETA (also added to Page 2)
Fore-end options.

1. Knights (KAC) rail-mounted QD swivel mount, like we saw before.  This is probably the best option if you have a railed fore-end like the DD, LaRue, etc.  It's simple and well built.  Downsides: It puts the sling pretty far away from the rail due to its "height", and it has sharp edges.

I dehorned one of mine, then repainted--

[ link to LARGER image ]

2. PRI 4" rail segment with QD swivel base and bipod stud thread hole.  This directly replaces one of the standard rails on the PRI GenIII tube, and it a real nice compact solution.  It does not add much height off the tube, but is about twice the height of the standard 3" rails.

[ link to LARGER image ]

When mounted on the gun, it seemed way too long.  I'm not going to put anything else on the rail, and it kind of gets in the way when I grasp the end of the tube for maximum pointing control.  So I butchered one of them--

3. Hacked PRI rail segment ... I cut over half the length of the rail off from the end with the QD receptacle, then filed it smooth & tapered.

[ link to LARGER image ]

[ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#2]
diggin it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Is this something that MapPul is offering now?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The M93B is compatible with the KAC-style quick-release swivels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Zak,

Could you break down what colors you are using on the rifle?

Spooky
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know if I can remember all of them now.  

KG-Kote Dark Earth: barrel, gas block, brake, handguard retaining nut, upper.
AHII Desert Tan: Lower (I think)
Stock: natural new Magpul color
Tan Flat Norrells: BUIS
AHII Coyote: PRI tube
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Is this something that MapPul is offering now?

I believe so. The M93B does not COME with the QD swivel or adapter, but it is set up to accept it. As I was told, the QD attachment needs to be steel. To have it be ambidexterous, Magpul could have put two steel swivels on either side of the stock, but that would have made the stock prettyheavy. So, they set it up so you can ottach the steel attachment to either side of the stock if you like. Its an upgrade. I dont know how much the upgrade is though.

I also dont know if it comes with the QD swivel or not, but Zak's post indicates that it does not. I dont know who else has those nice style QD swivels, but I know Vltor just started selling them. Theirs are very nice, much like the KAC ones.

Any idea if you can modify the M93A2s?  I think the left side of the M93A2 has a large plastic area that has extra material for greater strength and probaly wouldn't work with this setup.  

Zak - thanks for the rundown - they all look pretty darn close.  You did a good job on it!  I think I'm going to try a sling set up similar to yours with KAC parts.

Spooky
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
On the M93A2..

For left-handed shooters, all they'd need to do is drill 3 holes (tap two of them) and use a 'B' swivel plate to replicate the 'B' setup.

For right-handed shooters, you'd probably need to drill out and then sleeve the bottom triangular portion.  Alternatively, you could machine a plate which accepts the KAC swivel and then use expanding gromets to screw it into the top portion of the body unit of the M93.
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome pics and beautiful blaster as usual Zak......I just installed almost the exact same set up (minus the the QD front swivel) on 3 guns this weekend....Looks like we are using the same or a very simular sling.....

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm really hoping to get just the foot to retrofit a 93A2-R.  I'd like to be able to swap slings between my VLTOR and the Magpul...
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 4:10:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Just another reason I need one of these stocks. I'm running QD swivels on two of my three 3-point slings. More versatility and mounting options.

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#14]
You got some of the brown sling mounts too, eh Zak?

I'm glad Magpul did this. I like having my receiver sling mounting point but for 3 point slings, I'm starting to prefer the tailpiece mount.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

so is that the magpul swivel base attatchment mounted on the tailpiece?

how did you get one? if thats a kac product too could you link me to it?

thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

Yes, the swivel mount is a Magpul product. If it's not on their website, you will have to call them directly. The first batch of them came in brown but I didn't care - I just wanted the mounts.

The KAC swivel can be had from Eagle Firearms. Just scroll down a page a wee bit and you'll find the swivel for $20.00 (KAC #97079). Uncle Mike's also makes a 1.25" sling swivel but it's not as heavy duty as the KAC. They can be had for around $22/pair. Here's a link. Just scroll to the bottom of the page.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

Yes, the swivel mount is a Magpul product. If it's not on their website, you will have to call them directly. The first batch of them came in brown but I didn't care - I just wanted the mounts.

The KAC swivel can be had from Eagle Firearms. Just scroll down a page a wee bit and you'll find the swivel for $20.00 (KAC #97079). Uncle Mike's also makes a 1.25" sling swivel but it's not as heavy duty as the KAC. They can be had for around $22/pair. Here's a link. Just scroll to the bottom of the page.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks good, and thanks for the photos.   What sling are you using?   Its nice to see one without all those ERB and TRB buckles to get in the way or break.    Also, did you swap out the little bolt for a lower-profile one on your front KAC mount?   Maybe its the photos but yours looks more flat.  Here's mine:

As for anyone else contemplating the swivels, go for the heavier duty ones.  Big difference:

Link Posted: 7/6/2005 9:14:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for posting pics of the sling swivels Kisara and, based upon those pics, note the size of the QD button on the heavy duty swivel compared to the other one. The larger button makes it much easier to release the swivel (intentionally) than the other.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Sweet!  IMHO, the M93b looks a lot better than the previous versions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Kisara,

It's a TheWilderness 3-point sling.  The basic CQBSolutions/Spectre ones are identical except for their material is less stiff - I've got some of those which are in use on other rifles.

The KAC mount is just as it came packaged from KAC via MSTN.

I'll be painting the mounts/brackets to match while the upper is at Gemtech getting a Bilock installed...

-z
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The KAC mount is just as it came packaged from KAC via MSTN.
-z

Huh. KAC has changed from a hex to flat head screw on this one. I just received an RAS sling mount today and it's a screw. The other two I have a hex head screws.
Link Posted: 7/6/2005 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Sinclair International sells a quick-release swivel for $9.75 which looks identical to the KAC from what I can see---
www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=34-2700&type=store
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#25]
PRI is offering a new short rail for their fore-ends which has a built-in QR Swivel receptacle.   I have a couple ordered for my 6.8 and 17" uppers and will post pics later this week.

-z
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
tag

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#27]
where is the best place to get the two swivels and the front attachment point?
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#28]
The front attachment point pictured is from Knights (KAC).  MSTN and others sell it.

The QD sling swivels are also from KAC, but it is not clear to me who is the original manufacturer of the part, since both PRI and Sinclair Int'l sell versions that look in pictures identical.  MSTN and others sell the "KAC" version.  Sinclair's price is about half the PRI/KAC price, but like I showed on Page 1, they look the same.

Somebody could bite the bullet and buy one from Sinclair to find out.  I won't get around to it for a while.

-z
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Fore-end options.

1. Knights (KAC) rail-mounted QD swivel mount, like we saw before.  This is probably the best option if you have a railed fore-end like the DD, LaRue, etc.  It's simple and well built.  Downsides: It puts the sling pretty far away from the rail due to its "height", and it has sharp edges.

[ link to LARGER image ]

I dehorned one of mine, then repainted--

[ link to LARGER image ]

2. PRI 4" rail segment with QD swivel base and bipod stud thread hole.  This directly replaces one of the standard rails on the PRI GenIII tube, and is a real nice compact solution.  It does not add much height off the tube, but is about twice the height of the standard 3" rails.

[ link to LARGER image ]
Height-
 [ link to LARGER image ]

When mounted on the gun, it seemed way too long.  I'm not going to put anything else on the rail, and it kind of gets in the way when I grasp the end of the tube for maximum pointing control.  So I butchered one of them--

3. Hacked PRI rail segment ... I cut over half the length of the rail off from the end with the QD receptacle, then filed it smooth & tapered.

[ link to LARGER image ]

Comparison of the original and cut segments:
 [ link to LARGER image ]

I also painted the M93B hardware to match--
 [ link to LARGER image ]

Voila
 [ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for posting more pics Zak. We all appreciate it.

Not to get OT but I have one quick question - are you still using Alumahyde? A quick yes or no would be fine. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Very nice!  Thanks Zak!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:01:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Gem-Tech Bi-Loc......Damn that was quick

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Where are you guys getting the Gem-Tech stuff?

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

www.gem-tech.com

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.gem-tech.com

Yea, but they don't sell it from there........

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I dunno, the Bilock came with the 'can  
 [ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 4:17:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Yea, but they don't sell it from there........

I have purchased all 3 of my bi-locs directly from Gem-Tech.  $85 + $25 install + shipping to and from Gem-Tech.......

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got a DD 12.0FSPM forend and a crane stock.  I want to use these types of QD sling mounts.  Problem is, I've got a BFG sling and it's not made to be taken apart.  I have taken a few parts of the misc. attachment points apart, so I guess anything is possible.  I like the KAC mount for the forend-end because as long as you have panels on either side, it doesn't protrude at all; when the sling is detached, it's pretty much flush with the rails, right?  

i've checked at midway and can't find them.  i've also checked brownell's and can't find them.

i guess i've still got a problem even if i do find the sling parts separately- how to attach to the crane...

thanks for any info you might have...

damn!  sinclair international is only about 2 hours from me...
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#41]
wow - I'm still on paracord.  Gives me a great way to keep the sling - top mounted, but I'm working on that rail on top of the stock and a MI sling mount.....  we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Knights ($18.75) on left, Sinclar on right ($9.75).

The appear identical with the exception of the loop width.  The KAC is approx 1 1/4", which is perfect for a TheWilderness sling.  The Sinclair is approx 1 1/2", which works for a M14 NM-style leather sling.

[ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
 [ link to LARGER image ]
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i've checked at midway and can't find them.  i've also checked brownell's and can't find them.

i guess i've still got a problem even if i do find the sling parts separately- how to attach to the crane...

re: KAC mounts, check MSTN.

For your Crane stock issue, examine the KAC parts listed here-- www.operationparts.com/knights-armament.html
There might be something that would work for you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Knights ($18.75) on left, Sinclar on right ($9.75).

Well I'll be danged. I'd be curious to hear what Coldblue has to say about this one.

I vaguely recall that Rich @ Magpul said something about offering a QD swivel in the near future but I don't recall an approximate price.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks nice, but for my use I'm waiting for them to design a qd single point receiver mount.  I'm used to running that with m4/lmt stocks and its the last thing keeping me from going m93...  I may give up and go to an HK hook system.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, the Bilock came with the 'can  
apollo.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/M4-96D/small/167_6784_img.jpg  [ link to LARGER image ]

Ooooohhhh, you evil bastard.

Quoted:
Looks nice, but for my use I'm waiting for them to design a qd single point receiver mount.  I'm used to running that with m4/lmt stocks and its the last thing keeping me from going m93...  I may give up and go to an HK hook system.

They have one (pretty sure Matt has a few), it just isn't a standard item (yet anyway).
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Corporal_Chaos

Quoted:

They have one (pretty sure Matt has a few), it just isn't a standard item (yet anyway).

Yup, I'm using them on 2 of my ARs and an FN shotgun right now. Richard was kind enough to send me 3 of the prototypes and I'm holding onto them for dear life.

But seriously, they are in the pipeline last I heard. I was going to send one back to them to use as a template for the production ones but they found one. I would call Magpul to check the status on them. Here's a crappy pic I took of the one on my shotgun:

As you might imagine, it replaces the plastic shim that indexes the locking claws
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Tag
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Can anyone advise where to get the adapter socket/attachment bracket that bolts/screws onto the Magpul M93B Buttstock's modified re-enforcement bracket that the Knight's Qd swivel fits/locks into?  I have seen pictures including Zak's but cannot find them anywhere.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:25:38 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Can anyone advise where to get the adapter socket/attachment bracket that bolts/screws onto the Magpul M93B Buttstock's modified re-enforcement bracket that the Knight's Qd swivel fits/locks into?  I have seen pictures including Zak's but cannot find them anywhere.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

MagPul will have them.  They are friendly folks, give 'em a call.  I'm sure they'll talk to you, figure out what you have, what you want, then sell you what you need...

Spooky
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top