Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2012 6:42:26 PM EDT
I finally got hands on with the new PMags today... I was going to post a detailed comparison, but plouffedaddy beat me to it. So I'll add my one observation that I haven't seen mentioned: The PMag GenM3 is completely incompatible with Patriot Ordnance Factory 5.56 guns. The trigger guard conflicts with the rear overtravel stop. I suspect this may be true with some other billet lowers.

Fortunately the older PMag is supposedly sticking around as the MOE mag.

That said, I am otherwise impressed by the new mag. I can confirm it works with Colt 6920s, SIGs, PSAs, S&W, H&K, FN SCAR, Rock River and several others.

Just thought POF owners should be aware before they buy a crateload.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics?
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pics?

New on the left (black) older on the right (tan).

Will take and upload pics of the conflict tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I suspect this may be true with other billet lowers.

Fortunately the older PMmag is supposedly sticking around as the MOE mag.

That said, I am otherwise impressed by the new mag. I can confirm it works with Colt 6920s, SIGs, PSAs, S&W, H&K, FN SCAR, Rock River and several others.

They fit just fine on LaRue Lowers

I'm not saying it won't work on all billet lowers... Just ones with crazy oversized trigger guards, like POF. I think some other makers have similar crazy trigger guards, and might have the same issue.

It's like 0.1% of the market... Just posting this so POF owners don't buy a truckload of PMags that won't work for them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a mega billet lower, hence my curiosity.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Considering I want a Mega Arms gun, I'm curious too. PM me your address.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I suspect this may be true with other billet lowers.

Fortunately the older PMmag is supposedly sticking around as the MOE mag.

They fit just fine on LaRue Lowers

I'm not saying it won't work on all billet lowers... Just ones with crazy oversized trigger guards, like POF. I think some other makers have similar crazy trigger guards, and might have the same issue.

It's like 0.1% of the market... Just posting this so POF owners don't buy a truckload of PMags that won't work for them.

See highlighted part, I just post to inform that they fit in LaRue Lowers

Understood then. Glad to hear it, LaRue is excellent gear.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm, nothing a bench grinder cant fix...
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 11:47:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Ehhh... That overtravel stop on the PMag is there for a reason. It now does the job the one on the front used to do. I wouldn't remove it.

Removing a good chunk of a trigger guard isn't a great idea either.

If you own a gun that doesn't like these mags, I'd just suggest using the previous style PMags, which will still be made (now as MOE mags).
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehhh... That overtravel stop on the PMag is there for a reason. It now does the job the one on the front used to do. I wouldn't remove it.

I would in a heartbeat. We had mags without overtravel stops for decades without issues. Older P mags didn't have one either.

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Will do.

I also have a mega billet lower.  Hope these will work.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would in a heartbeat. We had mags without overtravel stops for decades without issues. Older P mags didn't have one either.

Older PMags indeed have them, on the front. The shoulder acts as an overtravel stop.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I finally got hands on with the new PMags today... I was going to post a detailed comparison, but plouffedaddy beat me to it. So I'll add my one observation that I haven't seen mentioned: The PMag GenM3 is completely incompatible with Patriot Ordnance Factory 5.56 guns. The trigger guard conflicts with the rear overtravel stop. I suspect this may be true with some other billet lowers.

Is this the lower receiver type that you had the compatibility issue with?

The following is a picture of my Mega Lower.  By the looks of the trigger guard I think I'm going to have the same problem.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this the lower receiver type that you had the compatibility issue with?

http://www.ugimports.com/shop/images/products/POF_415_GEN_III.jpg

The following is a picture of my Mega Lower.  By the looks of the trigger guard I think I'm going to have the same problem.
http://megaarms.com/wp-content/gallery/ar-15_lowerreceivers_billetlowers_gtr-3s/a_gtr-3s-front.jpg

We'll know before too long.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got my mag today.  Funny enough, it fits into my Quentin Defense lower (almost a copy of the POF) perfect, but damn it's close

It fits the T15BDX too without a problem

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:52:37 PM EDT
[#18]
The promised pics of POF/GenM3 incompatibility:

There isn't a whole lot of material causing the design conflict, but it will not work as is.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got my mag today.  Funny enough, it fits into my Quentin Defense lower (almost a copy of the POF) perfect, but damn it's close

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tct1000/armp2.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tct1000/155.jpg

It fits the T15BDX too without a problem

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tct1000/156.jpg

This adds a bit of hope.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#20]
can you file it down?

EDIT:  the mag, not the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
can you file it down?

EDIT:  the mag, not the trigger guard.

It might be possible to remove material from the mag such that it will seat, without losing the functionality of the overtravel stop.

None the less, POF and other billet lower owners need to be aware of this and consider their options. It's important to know a stock GenM3 mag will not function in these guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I hear they have the same issue on Noveske billet guns, but this is unconfirmed.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a few on order. Wonder if they'll have the same issue with my Seekins billet lower. If so, glad I only ordered 5 of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I got my gen3's today I can check to see if thay fit my mega billet lower when I get off in the morning.

Thay dropped free and fit well in my standard m4 lower. A very well made mag IMO.

Looking forward to testing them out Sunday!
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got my gen3's today I can check to see if thay fit my mega billet lower when I get off in the morning.

Thay dropped free and fit well in my standard m4 lower. A very well made mag IMO.

Thank you.  I'll be waiting to here back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 8:06:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Got a reply from stickman to my post on the magpul forum.  Looks like Mega Biller Lower is good to go.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/226419_PMAG_M3_Billet_Lower_Compatibility.html
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I hear they have the same issue on Noveske billet guns, but this is unconfirmed.

Have you called Magpul?

I have emailed them about it.

Quoted:
Got a reply from stickman to my post on the magpul forum.  Looks like Mega Biller Lower is good to go.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/226419_PMAG_M3_Billet_Lower_Compatibility.html

That's good news. Dan Gray should get the mag I mailed him in a few days for further confirmation.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  I'll be waiting to here back.

I can confirm that the M3's work fine with the Mega billet lowers.

Eta; I see you got the answer you were looking for already. Sorry it took so long.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Rats!!! I have a POF gen3 billet lower and I have 6 M3 Pmags en route. I need to see if these will also fit my Spike's Biohazard billet lower. Doesn't look like much material to be taken off anyways. Just extra work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Got it in, it clicks in just finewith about a millimeter, maybe 1.5 to spare. I did several cycles of slamming the mag in and taking it back out, it never failed to seat the first time. I can't get cell phone pics to turn out.

Magpul Ambi Billet lower, first run, serial under 30.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 10:01:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I just got my M3 mags in yesterday. It doesn't fit both my POF gen3 billet lower and my Spike's Biohazard billet lower. I just went slow with the dremel. Problem fixed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]
To oops, that was supposed to be a text to my wife.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. I just ordered 25 of these mags for me and four other fellow AR owners. I'm the only one with a POF AR but am sure my Colt will be able to use them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#35]
How does the strength of the non-window compare to the windowed mag (due out Jan 2013).
That is to say, does the window make the mag weaker?
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:53:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#37]
It seems like a simple drill fix.  Just a hair off but now I'm glad I have a ton of m2s
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#38]
1st Gen Arfcom billet lower had no issues, other than due to thinner profile it wobbles slightly more in the magwell.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top