[#2]
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#3]
so whats special about it
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pic looks fake.

I cant remember where I found this pic...but I don't understand why it looks fake to you..I just never heard of a G mag..But if I remember correctly.. This is a AR is from a German company.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Oberland Arms

"The G-Mag is not a Magpul-Product, nor is it licensed by Magpul Ind. in any way or did Magpul Ind. provide any help and assistance in developing this magazine. The G-Mag will only be distributed to civilian customers in Germany and Europe. Worldwide distribution is limited as an OEM product, only together with an Oberland Arms rifle."

From the Oberland Arms website

This topic came up back in 2009 as well

AR15 Thread
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic looks fake.

I cant remember where I found this pic...but I don't understand why it looks fake to you..I just never heard of a G mag..But if I remember correctly.. This is a AR is from a German company.

Lighting I guess. I'm not saying it is fake, just saying it looks that way.
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#7]
well that's some patient infringement if I ever seen it..
Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Doubtful.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 10:07:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw these in Germany at IWA 2 years ago, Oberland Arms-its great they are trying the AR.  Their gd&t numbers for production were all reverse engineered and not completely correct in the beginning so their magazine wells were odd, a little tight.  I spoke with the owner and he told me that he thought that Cook-off was a myth.  I thought, well you just have never tried to do it.  I think some american companies have helped them get their target dims by now.  Those G-mags I heard were not good, but like anything I am sure the first ones were in need of some improvement.  Maybe they are working good now.  

When you leave the country you must remember that if it comes to the AR, we are very spoiled here with technology and manufacturing.  You see the small differences in manufacturers here, imagine what you could see across the world when they are not building from a TDP.

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Not patent infringement unless it's made out of the same formula polymer as the P-mag, at worst it's a possible trade dress issue.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not patent infringement unless it's made out of the same formula polymer as the P-mag, at worst it's a possible trade dress issue.

Only if they tried selling them where Magpul has intellectual property protection.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#12]
if I'm not mistaken and IIRC, Magpul gave Oberland the ok.

an old comparison can be found somewhere on weaponevolution.com
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 2:17:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The GMag is kind of a "tribute" to the PMag that Oberland Arms manufactures for the German civilian market.

We are OK with them doing this so long as the market is limited to German civilians/OEM and they publicly state that the G-Mag is not made by Magpul or with any Magpul derived technology.

Interesting. Especially when the Germans always praise their superior engineering and development.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#16]
so there is no way to get one of those in the states?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why would you want to go to a tribute concert when you can hear the real band live?
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you want to go to a tribute concert when you can hear the real band live?

i see your point it wouldn't be for use just to have as something i think of as "cool"
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Oberland Arms

"The G-Mag is not a Magpul-Product, nor is it licensed by Magpul Ind. in any way or did Magpul Ind. provide any help and assistance in developing this magazine. The G-Mag will only be distributed to civilian customers in Germany and Europe. Worldwide distribution is limited as an OEM product, only together with an Oberland Arms rifle."

From the Oberland Arms website

This topic came up back in 2009 as well

AR15 Thread

Yup, I remember that.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because with collector items people spend 2x what the real one costs to have a "rare" copy.

I'm sure if someone listed a few of them in the EE or gunbroker they would sell.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cerberus?

Interesting...

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

People with no clue about patents really need to stop talking about patents.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please elaborate.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would the patent be on?  A plastic magazine?  That patent has been expired for decades.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Design patents can have a number of features covered in the patent such as , material used, hole or slot size and location, internal and external dimensions, markings that are molded into the product, etc. If these features are new and unique, they can be covered in the patent. I went through this when we had a provisional patent on the AR45 lower receiver.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would the patent be on?  A plastic magazine?  That patent has been expired for decades.

1) Design patent on the PMAG
2) Patent on the self leveling follower
3) Patent on the floor plate
4) etc...

Resin is sourced.
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:19:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Patents or not, it is not nearly as reliable as the original. Me and several other shooter I know bought these when P-Mags were scarce. We all experienced problems with these not seating correctly if inserted 'in a hurry' and FTF's. Not recommended!
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 2:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Looks like everyone completely missed that part
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:00:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like everyone completely missed that part

The Cerberus on the magazine refers to a totally different Cerberus than the Freedom Group of companies that own Bushmaster, Remington etc.

Two completely different Cerberus companies in the firearms industry? What are the odds

Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Patents or not, it is not nearly as reliable as the original. Me and several other shooter I know bought these when P-Mags were scarce. We all experienced problems with these not seating correctly if inserted 'in a hurry' and FTF's. Not recommended!

True the Gmags have a different set of dimensions than the Pmags they're a little too big. They work but are a little snug in my German made Schmeisser AR 15, not always dropping free and being a little awkward to insert quickly while Pmags glide in and out.

Another case is that they (Gmags) don't even fit in the Czech made Proarms piston driven AR15 while Pmags and USGI work just fine.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top