Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2003 8:39:21 PM EDT
The magnetized Firing pin thread got me thinking...

I put my barrel by my computer monitor, and the monitor reacted as though a big magnet were near. Anyone else notice this? Oh yea, its a Bushmaster.

In a shit Hit the Fan situation where you would need to make a compass, could you magnetize a needle on your rifles barrel?

Does anyone really care?

0.o

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know if you could magnetize a needle on a AR barrel...don't even know if they are magnetic!

But, you can magnetize a needle by rubbing it on silk.

HA! I knew my boxers had a SHTF use!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
My bushmaster does seem to have a magnetic barrle as well.  I noticed it the same way you did.  

Hmmm... how about AKs?  [holds Krebs AK-74 up to computer screen]  Nope, not magnetic.  

NATO technology?  
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:08:27 PM EDT
[#3]
could it be because of the barrels being magnetc particle inspected?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
what model927 said.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
My JT Distributing 16" carbine barrel is heavily magnetic; found out the same way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I just checked mine...

...and yep, slightly. BTW it is a Bushy. But something metal won't stick to it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#7]
is the magnetic field strong enough to affect a compass?

imagine trying to navigate in the wilderness with a compass only to find that the rifle slung to your back/chest is throwing off your true magnetic North.

that would suck
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:42:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I just held a knife, finger nail clippers, a Glock, some car keys, and a big ass bolt.  All of them made the monitor react like it was a magnet.

Perhaps all (ferrous) metals have some magnetic properties to them?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:49:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
is the magnetic field strong enough to affect a compass?

imagine trying to navigate in the wilderness with a compass only to find that the rifle slung to your back/chest is throwing off your true magnetic North.

that would suck
View Quote

Even if it wasn't magnetized, it's still metal, so keep it away if you want a good reading, keep the compass away from the rifle.
Also, don't hold your compass up next to your GPS. The GPS will throw the compass off.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 2:52:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well I just held a knife, finger nail clippers, a Glock, some car keys, and a big ass bolt.  All of them made the monitor react like it was a magnet.

Perhaps all (ferrous) metals have some magnetic properties to them?
View Quote

I think you all need to buy better monitors.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
It isn't the barrel that is magnetic - it is the monitor. The monitor generates a magnetic field. A large chunk of ferrous metal (barrel) will distort that magnetic field.

The Navy uses the same concepts to hunt for submarines in the ocean (the metal sub distorts the Earth's own magnetic field).
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It isn't the barrel that is magnetic - it is the monitor. The monitor generates a magnetic field. A large chunk of ferrous metal (barrel) will distort that magnetic field.

The Navy uses the same concepts to hunt for submarines in the ocean (the metal sub distorts the Earth's own magnetic field).
View Quote

Man talk about taking all the fun out of a discussion...

Bring science and crap into it...

LOL

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 7:59:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I know when I worked in a machine shop years ago, that running a piece of tubular steel on a lathe could sometimes induce magnetism, (and I assume pulling a rifleing broach through could do the same thing). Seems to depend a lot on type of steel, some alloys that were just a number off from another alloy would pick up a pretty good charge while the other one wouldn't. Just food for thought.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not gonna refute Bartholomew. . .I just wonder why my 6" 629 distorts my monitor terribly, but my 8" Anaconda doesn't. . .
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm not gonna refute Bartholomew. . .I just wonder why my 6" 629 distorts my monitor terribly, but my 8" Anaconda doesn't. . .
View Quote

I don't know enough about the science to begin to explain the variations. I had to have a passing familiarity with the concept as a former job-related thing.

My SWAG would be different steels with different amounts of iron.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Land navigation 101, compasses give inaccurate readings around ferrous metal objects.  (duh)  That includes: weapons, vehicles, wire fences, zippers, etc.  A compass is also strongly effected by electrical equipment that gives off magnetic fields like: motors, inductors, transformers or for that matter any electrical conductor that is carrying current.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Like they said in the magnetic firing pin thread, throw it on the ground real hard and it will lose the magnetism. :)
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#18]
From experiences with offshore pipeline locators, referred to as "proton magnetometers", (same things used from planes to locate subs) I learned that the earth is surrounded by a constantly fluctuating magnetic field.

As monitor generates it's own static field any metal of significant size will screw w/ it's display, don't think ya can pick up any metal shavings with your barrel, but give it a try, I could be wrong.

Let me know, please, if your barrel does,
Mike  
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#19]
i just tried my bushmaster and it doenst do anything
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
yea
shooting allot of rapid fire will cause the poles to align and therefore slightly magnetize the bbl.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Thats what I was thinking boom...

I remember hearing you can make any metal magnetic by rubbing it on something a whole lot. (1000s of passes)

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Thinking about basic electricity and magnets, any big chunk of metal will mess with a magnet field.  Monitors rely on magnet fields, you're messing with the field when you put that chunk of metal by it, whether it's magnetized or not.  Some of your reports that your monitors are unaffected??  Could that be a result of better shielding in the monitor itself?  I dunno!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Remember metal on metal friction often creates a magnetic field.
Ever have a rear differential in your vehical run low on fluid?  It probly creates a huge magnetic field.   I've known about metal on metal friction creates a magnetic field for a long time.  but I never knew the extent until we hauled some monitors in the back of my old boss's blazer one day.  5 brand spankin new monitors,  all toast.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thinking about basic electricity and magnets, any big chunk of metal will mess with a magnet field.  Monitors rely on magnet fields, you're messing with the field when you put that chunk of metal by it, whether it's magnetized or not.  Some of your reports that your monitors are unaffected??  Could that be a result of better shielding in the monitor itself?  I dunno!
View Quote

It's not that generalized.

The computer's H field does'nt care about your metal bbl if it is not magnitised.

Non ferrious metals will do nothing to effect the monitor.

The monitor's E-field would only be effected if the bbl is electrically charged.

SO, the metal must have it's OWN field to begin with. Just being a metal does not suffice.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Thats what I was thinking boom...

I remember hearing you can make any metal magnetic by rubbing it on something a whole lot. (1000s of passes)

View Quote

Acually hitting it. The mechanical (and acoustic) shock causes the lattice to be disrupted and it can realign the poles in the process.

Also, not any metal. Only ferrious metals and the results vary per metal and content.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#26]
the govt mag. everything so they can find your weapons in a gun grab
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:33:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Ok, no prob.
As i said before in the Magnatized firing pin tread, take your AR, and throw it AS HARD AS YOU CAN against the ground....that should demagnatize it.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=168778[/url]
btw, i'm kidding...[ROFL]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]
nuthin off my J&T kit gun
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I wonder if it could be caused by the Magnetic Particle Testing? I'm an Inspector for a major Oil Refinery on the Texas Gulf Coast and we routinely perform WFMT (Wet Flourescent Magnetic Particle Testing). This test leaves residual magnetism in steel parts which can be removed by de-magging/degaussing. We don't de-mag large pressure vessels, because it is not necessary, but when I was an Inspector in the aircraft industry we always de-magged the parts. I wonder if Bushmaster de-mags their barrels?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top