Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2005 4:08:11 AM EDT
I subscribe to many magazines (publications) and would appreciate any suggestions from the group on weekly/monthly/quarterly issued gun magazines.

I would prefer those that give semi-regular coverage to the AR of course, but realize that may or may not be available.

any ideas? and words of caution (stay away from's)?

TIA

ETA: Do I need to move this to GD/TM forum?...it is intended to be AR related
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
swat

Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:15:04 AM EDT
[#2]
i like Small Arms Review.  they always seem to have something that i like.  a section that i find interesting now is their regular firearm law column.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i like Small Arms Review.  they always seem to have something that i like.  a section that i find interesting now is their regular firearm law column.

+1 and no advertiser buy in in the articles. Plus no stupid, glaring errors like most of the gun rags (like "Book of the AR15" depicting an XM177E1 as having an A2 stock )
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#4]
S.W.A.T. is by far the best and come November they go monthly
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
SWAT
Small Arms Review

any +1's for:

Guns and Ammo?

I am going to pony up for the first two

BTW anyone know who (ARFCOM  Member)- gunwritr works for?

You would think he would cover the AR family fairly.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#6]
special weapons for law enforcement and military.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#7]
i may be wrong IIRC gunwritr is Dave Fortier and is freelance.  i have seen his stuff in just about avery gun mag out there.  i generally find his articles accurate, informative, and well written.  alot of guys bad mouth him (i am not one), i like AKs.  if it weren't for him and Peter Kokalis there wouldn't be anywhere near the amount of accurate info on AKs in main-stream print that we have now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I subscribe to many magazines (publications) and would appreciate any suggestions from the group on weekly/monthly/quarterly issued gun magazines.

I would prefer those that give semi-regular coverage to the AR of course, but realize that may or may not be available.

any ideas? and words of caution (stay away from's)?

TIA

ETA: Do I need to move this to GD/TM forum?...it is intended to be AR related

It almost goes without saying that you should most definately join the NRA and get the american rifleman (or another magazine of your choice) from them. That way you can read up on guns and protect our second amendment rights at the same time. Win / Win situation!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
special weapons for law enforcement and military.

+1/2

SWAT
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#10]
No ones said SOF, Soldier of Fortune is pretty good I also like guns and weapons for law enforcement.

Justin
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#11]
American Handgunner.  I wish they did one on Black Rifles....Ichiro's pics would be stunningly beautiful.

HH
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#12]
SWAT, of course, and American Rifleman.  Surefire also has an annual magazine which I like, but the name escapes me right now.  Combat Handguns is also not bad, esp. because of the case studies of actual street attacks, and Massad Ayoob's articles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Redfisher

I'm David Fortier...nice to meet yah!

I work for Primedia Outdoors (not a freelancer) and am the Optics Editor at Shooting Times and a Field Editor for RifleShooter, Shotgun News and Handguns.  In what little spare time I have, I try to do occasional pieces for Small Arms Review and SWAT.

I write quite a bit about the AR, both for NRA High Power competition and tactical use.

For useful magazines to have a subscription too....

Shotgun News would be at the top of my list, simply because of the amount of stuff (both articles and advertisers) we have on AR's.  While not a traditional magazine (it's really a trade publication) lots of good info....Peter Kokalis does a great job...

SWAT would be next. Denny has done a kick butt job on this magazine and it has some great no BS writers.  Lots of good info and the direction of the magazine is like a breath of fresh air....

Small Arms Review.  Another must have due to the type of technical writing available in it.

after that you really have to pic and choose, as you won't find dedicated AR stuff in each issue of most magazines...

one's to consider

RifleShooter  David Tubb's column is bitch'N if you are into precision shooting or improving your marksmanship skills, a couple pages down I have a Tactical Rifle column.  Some like my stuff some don't, do the best I can......

GUNS magazine now has Glenn Zedicker on board, should see some good AR stuff from him.  Pics are first rate, Clint Smith is no BS but some like and some don't....(this is the sister magazine to the previously mentioned American Handgunner)

Soldier of Fortune  while not in the position it was 20 years ago you can still find good info in SoF

magazines like Guns&Ammo, Shooting Times and many others do occasional articles, but AR's are outside their main editorial focus........

one thing to keep in mind for ALL the members here....letters from readers have a HUGE impact, much larger than you would expect.  If you want to see an article on something, write in or email and ask for it.  Get 5 or 10 of your buddies to do the same.  Things happen when you do that.  Ask for articles on Mk262 ammo, AR accessories, stocks, flash suppresssors, calibers, reloading, match shooting, building, whatever.......if an editor gets a few requests he will usually have a writer make it happen....

don't like an article?  think a writer is full of BS?  Find a mistake in an article?  Write in and tell them.....  some things are just in-house errors (like photos getting flipped or captions mixed up) which the writer has no control over.  Occasionally an editor or minion will frig with an article in an attempt to 'correct' or 'improve' it.......irratating......But most any feedback (unless you are being a real bozo) is good feedback....just remember though, just because a writer makes a mistake doesn't make him a total idiot......we all make mistakes.  The idea is to learn from them.....

and American Rifleman is a must have........support the cause........

best

Dave Fortier

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I like GUNS and American Handgunner.  They have really cool picts.  However, they sometimes keep selling off old articals as new.

Guns and Weapons for Law Enf.   Usually a pretty good read.

GUN TESTS  ...... the only no bullshit mag.  No articles, just primarily firearm comparisons.  They do not make money from any advertisers because there are none.  So they can afford to call someones stuff shit or overpriced or excellent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
SWAT & SAR.   American Rifleman has very detailed technical info, but unfortunately 95+% of their reviews are on weapons that I have no interest in.  

Some of my favorite stuff is going through old stacks of magazines at gun show booths.   Seeing articles and ads from the 60's - 80's is pretty interesting.   Did you know that a 55gr .223 can penetrate a V8 engine block?   I read it, so its true!  

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Great responses all.

and thanks Dave Fortier- also a pleasure!

I will follow through on some of the recommendations for sure.

Interestingly enough, you mention David Tubbs re: Precision shooting. I 'spoke to' a representative from a major shooting club today re: long-range shooting.

He told me that a David Tubbs was the first shooter to score a perfect 450 in the 1000 yard shooting discipline (in 2004). So, Mr Tubbs surely has credentials to write on such subject matter, huh?

I look forward to some of these suggestions, and considering that I am a bit if a history buff as well, I will also make sure to devote some time to those 'other' booths at my next fun show!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#17]
redfisher,

Glad to be of some help.

Yes, David Tubb has spanked all comers for a number of years now in National Competition.  He writes as a champion who has won the Nationals on numerous occasions.  A hardcore competitor, he is also an excellent teacher......I've learned a lot reading his books and articles.

read as much as you can, good info is where you find it!

best

Dave Fortier
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top