Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 4:17:28 PM EST
9mm Oly Arms/ Sten mag/ Soccom block

What prevents the Sten Magazines from rising and stopping the bolt when pressure is applied to the bottom. I know there are two small bumps on the side of the sten magazine to limit the amount inserted into a Sten, but does that also work with the AR Mag Well?

I don't use my magazine as a rest for firing the rifle, but something could end up pushing on the magazine while firing.

I couldn't find this in any of the previous posts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:10:14 PM EST
The overinsertion lips are supposed to prevent that - although on some mags the lips have been mashed all the way flat and they don't function anymore. Without the overinsertion lips, it's just contact with the bottom of the bolt carrier and gravity keeping it where it's supposed to be. You could conceivably push it up too far to let the rifle cycle, or have it get in the way of the bolt or carrier and jam it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 9:41:25 AM EST
Circuits, What do these over insertions lips look like? Are they on the mags themselves or the SOCOM block? Could you post a pic? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 10:47:06 AM EST
They're on the sides of the magazine "hood" - they look like "half-blisters". tfod identified them as "two small bumps on the side". In some AR's, these bumps or blisters extend too far out from the sides, and hit on the bottom of the magwell bevel instead of closer and higher on the inside of the bevel. As a result, these mags need the bumps squeezed in more to seat fully and allow the magblock catch to engage the sten mag properly. If the bumps are squeezed in too much, especially if squeezed completely flat, then the mag can be forced in too far.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 11:51:03 AM EST
Thanks. So I gather I can fine tune the seating depth of the magazine by adjusting the bumps. I will probably put a Rock River Arms "short" entry stock on the rifle.
Top Top