Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/25/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
I own a Bushmaster XM15ES with the "M4" upper.........the magazine that Bushmaster sold me with the rifle performs flawlessly.....loads to capacity, feeds well, holds the bolt open, and when I press the mag release, it drops right out, no pulling needed........The other magazine I have, I got from a relative in the National Guard....it's floor plate is marked Adventure Line Mfg. Co., Parsons, KS, U.S.A........this mag has a black follower, DOES NOT always hold my bolt open, has to be "smacked" up in the mag well to fully seat it, and when I hit the mag release, it has TO BE PULLED out.......should I just toss this piece of crap mag, and just buy some more Bushmaster ones?....or is there another brand of equally good mags out there for a reaonable price?.....Thanks in advance for the help......SemperFi!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Adventure line was an early manufacutrer of mags for the M16.  Eventually they were purchased by Center industries.  I would keep it and put a Magpul follower into it that will cure you bolt hold open problem.  If you magazine is not working easily there should be some wear marks indicating where it is hanging up.  Perhaps a gentle rework of that area will solve the problem.  Or it may be that you have a tight mag well on the rifle.  I would try other magazines first to see if any others have a tight fit.  

For good mags a place called 44mag (www.44mag.com) has good mags for about $10 each.  With Magpul followers about $12.00 each.  Get the Magpul followers these are the best followers out there.  I'd order some for myself, but living in New York state limits us to 20 or 30 round mags that are all pre-ban,  Somehow a 30 round pre ban magazine is not as deadly as the new 30 round magas.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I was having the same problems with several military surplus magazines I got from a friend.  One magazine would chamber any rounds.  The second one jamed every other reload and once cause round over bolt failure.

So when I ordered new magazines from 44mag.com, I also ordered a few used green followers.  

I replaced the black followers in the used magazines with the green followers.  If this works, my friend might give me his crap magazines to me to recycle.

later
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I own a Bushmaster XM15ES with the "M4" upper.........the magazine that Bushmaster sold me with the rifle performs flawlessly.....loads to capacity, feeds well, holds the bolt open, and when I press the mag release, it drops right out, no pulling needed........The other magazine I have, I got from a relative in the National Guard....it's floor plate is marked Adventure Line Mfg. Co., Parsons, KS, U.S.A........this mag has a black follower, DOES NOT always hold my bolt open, has to be "smacked" up in the mag well to fully seat it, and when I hit the mag release, it has TO BE PULLED out.......should I just toss this piece of crap mag, and just buy some more Bushmaster ones?....or is there another brand of equally good mags out there for a reaonable price?.....Thanks in advance for the help......SemperFi!

Bushmaster mags are made by D&H.  Just go to 44mag.com and get some D&H mags for under $10 a piece
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Green followers are good, but the MagPul followers are worth every penny in a new or old magazine.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm know this.  My new mags had grey followers.  But I didn't feel like throwing alot of money at the free mags because they were giving me lots of problems.

I put in the used green followers to see if they made the used mags more serviceable.  Of course I used one the yesterday with only one jam out of 200 rds.  Totally oppisite of what happened last monday.  Only thing to change was the brands of ammo I was using.  

I can't wait to test out the new and freshed up mags.

Quoted:
Green followers are good, but the MagPul followers are worth every penny in a new or old magazine.

Danny hr
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I went to a local gun show today and bought some gray magpul followers. I also picked up some new Bushie 30 rounders, with the green followers. I changed the follower in the mag that was giving me trouble, and now have a few extras, just in case of future problems. Another minor question.....Can I spray a touch of CLP into the mag, when I re-assemble them,  to make the spring a little quieter and reduce any chance of the spring getting rusty?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Can I spary a touch of CLP into the mag, when I re-assemble them,  to make the spring a little quieter and reduce any chance of the spring getting rusty?
 Don't do that, your springs will be fine.  If you really want to, you can lightly wipe down the springs, but don't leave anything remaining on them.  Any lube in the mag will just be a magnet for dirt/dust/debris/etc.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Can I spray a touch of CLP into the mag, when I re-assemble them,  to make the spring a little quieter and reduce any chance of the spring getting rusty?
 Don't do that, your springs will be fine.  If you really want to, you can lightly wipe down the springs, but don't leave anything remaining on them.  Any lube in the mag will just be a magnet for dirt/dust/debris/etc.  

10-4
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Danny

Damned right, I just installed the MagPul followers in half of my mags and they function flawlessly no matter where you push down on them....the spring right back to the top effortlessly.  I just placed an order for more to finish up all the rest of my mags. Well worth the money IMHO.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top