Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2005 3:04:33 AM EDT
I put new followers in my 2 mags hoping to fix the problem one them had. The one that came with my Bushmaster/Armalite sucks. It jams and fails to feed some rounds. It does not hold the bolt open after the last round if it even makes it to the last round without jamming.

I bought new Magpul brown followers and installed them in both mags that I have. The one mag I bought after I got the rifle already worked flawlessly. It had the green follower in it. The other had the black follower. Anyway I thought that this would fix the problem but it seems as if it is worse now.

It never jammed this much when it had the black follower. It could have been that I was using Winchester varmint rounds in the mag and the little dimples at the nose where catching the mag before being inserted into the chamber.

I lost several rounds after they were slammed into the mag and the noses where pushed back into the case. My question is what can I do to repair this mag. Or would it just be cheaper to buy a new one.

I heard that you can replace the spring in the mag with extra power ones. Would this fix the problem. Please give your opinions.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#1]
At 1st sign of trouble including new mags always had good luck replacing the mag springs. I've had good luck with USGI green followers and good springs such as Wolf extra power and more recently Brownells C/S springs. Some stock Ar 15 magazine springs just seem inconsistent out of the gate or after they are used some. I once bought two new in the plastic wrapper Colt magazines that would not work till I replaced the springs with Wolf spring than they worked flawless for many years.

The brown Magpul followers don't seem to get along with more than a few of my tighter magazines there is an area on the side of them that sometimes drags to much on the raised parts of the mag. Usually relieving this area slightly with a Dremel tool along with a good deburr helps a bunch also.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top