Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 2:40:40 PM EDT
I am going to go through my entire stock of AR mags, take them apart, inspect them and replace the 30 rounders with the GF. Can I clean the inside of the mag bodies with CLP or is there a proper method to cleaning them?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Run them through the dishwasher, works good. Just might not want to do if you know who is home ! Do not use any lube it will just gum things up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I use an old toothbrush and Dawn soap in the kitchen sink.

Definitely no "wet" lubes like CLP, because it will attract dust and other crud.

Use a dry Teflon-based lube like Remington Rem-DriLube.

Use a ruler to compress/relax the green follower and spring several times to ensure the follower doesn't bind in the mag body.

HTH,
Gabe
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#4]
CLEAN AND LUBE
[u]Wipe[/u] dirt from tube, spring, and follower; then lightly lube spring.  TM9-1005-319-10.
View Quote

Note no mention of dishwashers, Dawn or other detergent, magazine or tooth brushes, hot water, cold water, hair driers, dry lube, or KY Jelly (just seeing if you're paying attention) [;)].

[b]Wiping[/b] entails the use of a clean soft dry rag.  Lube for the spring is, of course, CLP or LSA.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, what do you have against K-Y Jelly!  That's my favorite... oh, never mind [;)]

You're right, the -10 says "wipe dirt off", but I've gotten mags that were so encrusted with dirt, oil, and other crap inside the mag that only prolonged soaking in hot water and Dawn could get it clean.

The -10 also says to turn the mag in to the unit armorer if the follower comes off the spring - "Do not replace".  WTF?  It's not like we're rebarreling the rifle, fer Chrissake's.

[Edit] Here's the quote from the -10:

"NOTE:  If the spring comes loose from the follower, turn in the pieces.  DO NOT try to fix it yourself."

Gabe
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Seriously:   do NOT remove the follower unless you have another magazine you know the follower is on the spring correctly to use as a reference.  Simple to put it on the spring 180° out of whack and cause stoppages.

As a bit of history (and you can play along at home):  reverse the follower on the spring in the olde USGI 20 round magazine.  Reassemble and load 20 rounds.  

If you can actually get 20 in without a press you'll routinely get stoppages until you start loading them with only 18 rounds.

Too bad Dr. Bill can't tell that story sometime on the History when he spouts M16 nonsense.

It's very easy to dick up a magazine by something as simple as putting the spring on the follower the wrong way.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Is there anywhere online or can anyone here tell me how to replace the spring in a 30 round magazine?

Thanks!
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top