Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 5:30:41 PM EDT
Just ordered a BA 12.5" barrel and looking for an M-LOK handguard that will cover most of the barrel but leave me enough room to run an ASR/Saker K.

Do handguards usually run long or short? I'm looking at the Guntec 12" model and the SLR Solo 11.7" model. I'm not a big fan of the ALG rails but it's purely for cosmetic reasons, not quality related at all.

If you're running something similar I'd love to see some pix.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a great video on how SLR measures their handguards and how specific length rails fit with certain barrel lengths.  It really helped me when I was choosing an SLR handguard for a specific application.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYfxg5LzGc8
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Your handguard needs to be about .8in shorter than the advertised barrel length (pistol calibers do not apply to this) if you don't want any of the threads on the barrel covered.  A 12.5in barrel would need a 11.5-11.7in rail to cover all the barrel minus the threads.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I went with a Troy M-Loc and liked the length.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
SLR makes a a rail just under 12". I run their ion lite 10.73" on my BA 11.5" Barrel and the suppressor would be about 1/16" of a inch from the end of the rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Different manufacturers classify their rails differently then what it actually measures. For example, Midwest Industries 10" rail actually measures 10.5", their 9" measures 9.25". They will usually list it in the specs of the rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The last 12.5" upper I had I used a Wilson 6.8 stainless barrel and a VTAC 11" handguard.  I had a YHM FH 30cal mount on it and the clearance was right around 1/2" to the barrel's shoulder from the end of the rail.

No pictures unfortunately.  That was many years ago.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. I ended up going with a KDG MREX 11.5" rail. It was on clearance at DSG.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 2:17:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your handguard needs to be about .8in shorter than the advertised barrel length (pistol calibers do not apply to this) if you don't want any of the threads on the barrel covered.  A 12.5in barrel would need a 11.5-11.7in rail to cover all the barrel minus the threads.
View Quote
Suppressor mount and how far back your can actually indexes on the mount factors in as well.

I've got a 12" ALG EMR on my 12.5" barreled upper with a SiCo Saker mounted on the end of it.  Both the MAAD and Dead Air Keymount systems index their cans far enough forward on the mount that it'll clear a rail that slightly overhangs the thread shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Suppressor mount and how far back your can actually indexes on the mount factors in as well.

I've got a 12" ALG EMR on my 12.5" barreled upper with a SiCo Saker mounted on the end of it.  Both the MAAD and Dead Air Keymount systems index their cans far enough forward on the mount that it'll clear a rail that slightly overhangs the thread shoulder.
View Quote
Not sure if you were trying to correct me or ad additional info.  I never said you could not still mount some suppressors because of how they mount.  I was only referring to rail location in relation to barrel threads.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks. I ended up going with a KDG MREX 11.5" rail. It was on clearance at DSG.
View Quote
I had that rail. The biggest flaw with it is the barrel nut wrench. The material of it is extremely soft. Along with shimming and having to time the nut, it will warp the wrench. 

I ended up having to get another wrench. Hopefully they went to a stronger material. I was highly disappointed with this. I got rid of it and went with a Lantac rail.

Also the KDG rail is really 11.625. It was first advertised as 11in. Come to find out it was and still is 11.625
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had that rail. The biggest flaw with it is the barrel nut wrench. The material of it is extremely soft. Along with shimming and having to time the nut, it will warp the wrench. 

I ended up having to get another wrench. Hopefully they went to a stronger material. I was highly disappointed with this. I got rid of it and went with a Lantac rail.

Also the KDG rail is really 11.625. It was first advertised as 11in. Come to find out it was and still is 11.625
View Quote
I tend to just leave it alone once mounted, as long as the wrench lasts for one mounting session its fine. Do you happen to know if it's a proprietary wrench by any chance? 11.625" should fit will with a 12.5" barrel and ASR mount but I know for sure soon enough.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:36:22 AM EDT
[#13]
This is a 12.5" barrel with the 11.7" SLR rail if it helps.

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I tend to just leave it alone once mounted, as long as the wrench lasts for one mounting session its fine. Do you happen to know if it's a proprietary wrench by any chance? 11.625" should fit will with a 12.5" barrel and ASR mount but I know for sure soon enough.
View Quote
It's a proprietary wrench. It hooks around where the gas tube slides in. When i had my issue with the wrench I offered suggestions to improve the material or make it a closed wrench.
The directions weren't really clear on what shims to use. So with playing with different combos, talking the nut on/off, it really wore out the wrench. I needed two wrenches for the first install. I ended up getting a new upper and the wrenches were so warped I couldn't get the nut off without hammering it.

You should have .200 +/- of clearance from the threads 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's a proprietary wrench. It hooks around where the gas tube slides in. When i had my issue with the wrench I offered suggestions to improve the material or make it a closed wrench.
The directions weren't really clear on what shims to use. So with playing with different combos, talking the nut on/off, it really wore out the wrench. I needed two wrenches for the first install. I ended up getting a new upper and the wrenches were so warped I couldn't get the nut off without hammering it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the wrench work out??
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How did the wrench work out??
View Quote
Got it together, wrench worked well. The timing was a bit of a PITA but aside from that it went together nicely. I'm very happy with the product.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go SLR as mentioned
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top