Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 6:05:11 PM EDT
I was reading about the AN-94 the other day and was wondering if anyone has actually shot it or if just people want to post how they think it stacks up to the M-4.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Technical marvel that weighs a lil too much and has an inferior round.  All new assault rifle manufacturers should be pursuing this kind technology.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I belive you could loose this one.. The AN-94 is on the cutting edge of AW tech.  Think about it, two rounds impacting the taget in the same hole.. The AN-94 in 2 round burst sounds like a single gunshot.. Kinda cool..

As to the "inferior round" comment.. I highly doubt that.. I belive it is the m16/ar15 family that is plagued with a inferior round.. If not why would they be devoloping the 6.8 watever it is round..
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Technical marvel that weighs a lil too much and has an inferior round. All new assault rifle manufacturers should be pursuing this kind technology.

Wouldn't that be two inferior rounds? I imagine the second round impacting the first round inside someones body would create an awful mess.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
And the Nikonov rifle is finicky and way too heavy.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Just read up on it and I don't think it would stack up one bit.  The ergonomics of it are ghastly and the author that I read began pointing our a variety of issues with the stock, grip, grenade launcher, sights, magazine...

Basically the only good thing is the two round burst ability...

I would love to handle one myself, but I think it would be more appropriate to compare it to the AK74, not the M4.

Worlds apart....

- BG
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
the fact is, 5.56 x 45mm is not inferior. the round kicks ass and has incridible wounding capabilities. if it sucked so bad our military wouldn't have been using it for the last  35 or so years.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the fact is, 5.56 x 45mm is not inferior. the round kicks ass and has incridible wounding capabilities. if it sucked so bad our military wouldn't have been using it for the last  35 or so years.

The question is what is it supposedly inferior to?

When you compare the stopping power of a .308 to 5.56, the contest is over before it begins.  Any change up in the military has to be weighed based on cost of replacement, retraining, and new rifle design itself when looking at a new cartidge.

I'm not saying I don't like the 5.56 or that it would only cause a bruise, but it certainly isnt the best thing since sliced bread.

- BG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top