Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
Hi fellas I'm new to AR rifles and want to put an M-4 together.  I have purchased a Stag M-4 lower and now am looking for a good upper.  I have been considering a Stag, Bravo or Bush upper.  Please let me know which one is the best: 1/7 twist, 1/9 twist, carry handle, no carry handle and what type of sites to get if the no carry handle is the option of choice.  Thanks alot guys, I really need the advice cause I do not know the difference but want this to be a great rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#1]
1/7 or 1/9? take a look here Ammo Oracle

I think a flat top upper is better than a standard A2: if you like iron sights just mount the carry handle..if you like optics just remove the carry handle and mount an optic.

IIRC also CMMG sell M4 style uppers

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#2]
1/7 for heavier/ longer rounds 68 gr and above (designed around tracer and 75-77gr spec ops rounds). Otherwise if shooting mostly surplus 55-62 gr then I would go 1/9 which is majority.

I have both can't really tell to much a difference.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a flat top. Even if you say you don't like optics now (me back in Feb. when I got my first Ar) you will probably get to the point where you'll want some sort of optic(me now). When I bought my M4gery in Sept. I got an A2, then I build a flat top carbine. Now I either want to switch the uppers or buy a flat top for the M4gery.

The buis on my flattop is a Midwest Industries (I think). It came with the upper receiver assembly when I bought it. It works fine but I have no idea how their quality is, mine is just fine though. It's a flip up model which I like but it stays out of the way when using an optic but flips up easily if needed.

All of mine are 1:9, but I don't shoot anything but 62gr or less.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I just ordered a DPMS M4 upper from R Guns for $399 with B/BC/CH. It's the cheapest I could find and DPMS is OK. Cheap way to get into a M4.

I wanted an A2 upper, but I'm not going to pay $100 for the carry handle (they didn't have A2 uppers, just flat top) so I'm going to run a red dot and get a BUIS later.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Definately get a flat top whatever you do.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies guys.  I will get a Stag flat top with back up site.  Later I will try to find a good site  system for the weapon.  Any adive in  terms of sites would be appreciated.  Take care.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top