Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2010 3:57:52 AM EDT
How well do the railed handgaurds on the A4's hold their zero when mounting optics or laser's on them?
I know the A2 hangaurds are unreliable.
also how reliable are the railed hangaurds compared to free float barrel systems
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How well do the railed handgaurds on the A4's hold their zero when mounting optics or laser's on them?
I know the A2 hangaurds are unreliable.
also how reliable are the railed hangaurds compared to free float barrel systems

Wouldn't this be a function of fit and mounting of the individual handguards? For example, the Magpul MOE handguards I bought had significant slack in them after mounting, but the rails mounted in the same position are rock solid. I'd expect FF rails to be much more stable than non-FF.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:12:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Your right this would come down to the type and fit of each indivdual handguard/rail system. But unless if your using an IR lasering system I wouldn't bother using a laser, thats like screaming HERE I AM to your enemy.

BUT back to the question. Your most stable solution would be an FF forend or a monolithic rail/flattop receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
the standard gi issue knight's armament rail systems are more than rock solid enough to retain zero -the thousands in use in the middle east and central asia seem to be doing the job pretty well
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
the standard gi issue knight's armament rail systems are more than rock solid enough to retain zero -the thousands in use in the middle east and central asia seem to be doing the job pretty well

I knew the KAC ones were very good what about YHM

I obviously know that freefrloat is the best i want to know how well the two pieces hold zero.

Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#5]
buy a quality rail and movement wont be a problem. I have a Troy DI rail that is rock solid. I  just ordered a M-4 RAS so I  can't comment, but they have great reviews as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I obviously know that freefrloat is the best i want to know how well the two pieces hold zero.

Don't get into the FF vs non FF thing. You wouldn't be able to notice any accuracy difference anyway. This is what I have found with my own rifles, YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get into the FF vs non FF thing. You wouldn't be able to notice any accuracy difference anyway. This is what I have found with my own rifles, YMMV.

This is true.

Also a red laser shouldn't be your main method of aiming no matter  what.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:47:04 AM EDT
[#8]
People do and have mounted Aimpoints and EoTechs to KAC M4 and M5 RASs. A solid FF rail would definitely be a better choice for this application though.
Dustin
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:19:00 AM EDT
[#9]
i am looking for a mounting platform for an aiming device on the handgaurd that will maintain zero. i understand that a laser should not therefore is not the primary aiming device. the question is what is a good cheap option for a railed handgaurd that will maintain zero
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:19:35 AM EDT
[#10]
just want the laser to supplement optic
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I agree. Mine have performed really well with my limited experience at the basic school. they definitely get abused here, and my zero is still good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top