Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 11:41:19 AM EDT
Does anyone else think it would be trivial to mount a HKM4/KKF style gas piston system on an MRP barrel?

I don't think it would require any changes to the MRP receiver.  There is a lot of clearance for the gas tube to go through, and the gas tube on existing MRP barrels is already retained by that MRP-specific rear retaining ring.  That could be replaced with a rear mount for a piston.  Then all you'd need is a piston-adapted carrier key.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I was discussing this with someone just the other day. It doesn't seem like it'd be too complicated of a matter, does it?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The beauty of it would be that the big chunk of expensive aluminum wouldn't change -- you'd just need different hardware on the drop-in barrel, and a different bolt carrier.

Take out an MRP barrel and look through the action.  There's a lot of room in there.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't the hole where the gas tube passes through the receiver need to be enlarged?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wouldn't the hole where the gas tube passes through the receiver need to be enlarged?

Have you taken apart an MRP and looked through it?

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you taken apart an MRP and looked through it?

-z

No, that's why I asked the question, or did you miss the "?" at the end of my sentence?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#6]
It's at least 0.250" in diameter, maybe wider.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I would buy one, probably. If it didnt hurt accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Wouldn’t the entire barrel assembly have to be removed in order to gain access to the piston/rod assembly for simple cleaning
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The first "monolithic upper" that I ever saw for the AR rifle (back about 86) used a gas piston system and bolt from the Leader T2 Mk5... I donated my T2 for the measurements. The rifle was very reliable and accuracy was on par with any of the family (AR-180, T2, G36, et al).

I have seen designs for at least one other AR rifle that used a one-piece receiver/handguard upper with a gas piston upper, but it was plagued with the original bolt design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top