Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 10:41:19 AM EST
Does anyone else think it would be trivial to mount a HKM4/KKF style gas piston system on an MRP barrel?

I don't think it would require any changes to the MRP receiver. There is a lot of clearance for the gas tube to go through, and the gas tube on existing MRP barrels is already retained by that MRP-specific rear retaining ring. That could be replaced with a rear mount for a piston. Then all you'd need is a piston-adapted carrier key.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:58:26 AM EST
I was discussing this with someone just the other day. It doesn't seem like it'd be too complicated of a matter, does it?

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:00:30 AM EST
The beauty of it would be that the big chunk of expensive aluminum wouldn't change -- you'd just need different hardware on the drop-in barrel, and a different bolt carrier.

Take out an MRP barrel and look through the action. There's a lot of room in there.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:35:25 PM EST
Wouldn't the hole where the gas tube passes through the receiver need to be enlarged?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:36:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By ian187:
Wouldn't the hole where the gas tube passes through the receiver need to be enlarged?

Have you taken apart an MRP and looked through it?

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:41:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zak-Smith:

Originally Posted By ian187:

Have you taken apart an MRP and looked through it?

-z

No, that's why I asked the question, or did you miss the "?" at the end of my sentence?

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:55:19 PM EST
It's at least 0.250" in diameter, maybe wider.

-z
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:24:03 PM EST
I would buy one, probably. If it didnt hurt accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:34:12 PM EST
Wouldn’t the entire barrel assembly have to be removed in order to gain access to the piston/rod assembly for simple cleaning
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:44:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 4:46:00 PM EST by Gunzilla]
The first "monolithic upper" that I ever saw for the AR rifle (back about 86) used a gas piston system and bolt from the Leader T2 Mk5... I donated my T2 for the measurements. The rifle was very reliable and accuracy was on par with any of the family (AR-180, T2, G36, et al).

I have seen designs for at least one other AR rifle that used a one-piece receiver/handguard upper with a gas piston upper, but it was plagued with the original bolt design.
Top Top