Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2018 10:31:27 AM EDT
I see that Trijicon is coming out with an MRO green dot. Anyone have any interest in this over a red dot?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Significantly reduced battery life which is one of the MRO selling points. Haven’t seen much traction on it
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#2]
same price?
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 11:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Significantly reduced battery life which is one of the MRO selling points. Haven’t seen much traction on it
View Quote
That’s going to be its main sticking point, and rightly came up when this was first announced. Green is cool, enough so that I’d be willing to pay a small premium in either price or battery life, but this model has FAR less battery life.

As in like 20% the battery life of the red model.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
How long does the red dot battery last? If it’s like 5 years I could care less that the green dot is 20% worse.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes something like 1 year vs 5 years
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes something like 1 year vs 5 years
View Quote
Well that’s a huge difference then but still. I’m ok with a 1 year battery life.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get it.  Is green for people who live in the desert?

I had an ACOG with a green reticle once and it sucked, because all the foliage outside (you know, where shooting is usually done) is also green.

Red reticle is much easier to pick up IMO.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#8]
They say green is easier for the human eye.  I'm so used to red I'd got that route even if battery life was equal.  Green at 20% makes it very unattractive
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had an ACOG with a green reticle once and it sucked, because all the foliage outside (you know, where shooting is usually done) is also green.

View Quote
True. Red MRO or Eotech EXPS it is then.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless it’s an environmental difference, like shooting in the rainforest vs a rainforest, I don’t think there is a ‘best’. Green ACOGs came out right as green lasers became commercially viable and proliferated. I think the green reticles were really only released to piggyback off that hype. I’ve had multiple Trijicon products in all 3 colors, can’t tell much difference, and use them interchangeably. It is all individual preference. Green is the more desirable color though, at as reflected by slightly higher prices on the used market.

The above ignores that their green tritium specifically is rated to be bright longer. That is an objective benefit, though their tritium is also both a minor selling point and illumination source.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see that Trijicon is coming out with an MRO green dot. Anyone have any interest in this over a red dot?
View Quote
Don't tell me this, I just received a red. UGH! Anyone know when these are going to hit the street, Trijicon states late summer? I see the pricing may be significantly more than the red version.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You get 5x the battery life. You chose wisely
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did get a smoking deal. I would love to see a US made optic with eotech style circle dot reticle in green. I am not buying a holosun!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did get a smoking deal. I would love to see a US made optic with eotech style circle dot reticle in green. I am not buying a holosun!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Holosuns can take a beating. The factory mounts just suck. So that adds about $70-80 to it.

Trijicon needs to make a MRO with ACSS reticle or something.

If a product works, I'll use it. US made is just a bonus.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#15]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079W92NWC/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B079W92NWC&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1713835751726239774&pf_rd_r=SRKCN91GATHTB1KSVFZ2&pd_rd_wg=Lyy3K&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=FF5md&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=d512c339-8357-11e8-914f-9f4b0c666b45&smid=A2E8Z8GY9F9F63

Designed for day and night use, New advanced technology LED allows up to 50,000 hours of operation on one CR2032 battery.

The Holosun green dot. If you want green, maybe the GU elite is what you're looking for. It's what I got.

The HS503GU-ELITE features a green circle dot reticle. G signifies that the battery is in a round, screw-on turret on the outside of the optic. U signifies a housing design that shrouds the windage and elevation turrets on two sides. Employing new LED technology, the life time for one CR2032 battery can reach 2 years if left on constantly on setting 10 of 12.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Holosuns can take a beating. The factory mounts just suck. So that adds about $70-80 to it.

Trijicon needs to make a MRO with ACSS reticle or something.

If a product works, I'll use it. US made is just a bonus.
View Quote
I am sure they can, I have no doubt. Having said that I just can't put a chinese made optic on top of all that USA made goodness of my hand built AR-15, I can't! Yes, the computer, tv, etc all made overseas I know. Silly as it may seem it is my line in the sand. I do appreciate the input though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I see trijicon states late summer. Anyone have a firm date yet and a best price?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top