AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/7/2014 3:30:39 PM EDT
I'd like to hear about it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Your question may have received more answers under the New Products tab.  However, I am curious about this as well.  I am not sure I like the idea of losing the front sling swivel.  Pis there enough clearance to mount a bayonet??
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I just bought the grip and it is perfect for my SBR.  I replaced the MOE for the SL and it feels a lot better to me.  I noticed it has a grippier texture to it.  Can't speak for the other furniture
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:03:38 AM EDT
[#3]
interested.  i'm looking at the SL stock for my SBR
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 3:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The handguard supposedly does not interfere with the installation of a bayonet
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Just installed mine the other day...the handguard is very comfortable and provides a bit of protection from the hot FSB. Also they are M-lok compatible.

I find the SL stock also to be very comfortable, more so than the CTR I have been using...the toe-in at the bottom helps it roll right up into position.

I did not upgrade the grip as the SL is a bit thinner than the MOE... I have big hands so that wasn't even a consideration.

Thats my $.02.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Still putting things together and I'll have to wait on some parts until Christmas.  But...

I used a railed gas block and it did interfere with the handguard.  I just marked the guard, used the small sanding drum on the Dremel, and finished with a small file.  Just a bit to take off, but it's worth noting.  As you can see in this mock up pic (without the handguard cap installed) it pushed the front end up slightly.  Did the mod last night, installed the cap, and all mates up properly now.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm using this design as a template for my first build. Nice looking rifle.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Still putting things together and I'll have to wait on some parts until Christmas.  But...

I used a railed gas block and it did interfere with the handguard.  I just marked the guard, used the small sanding drum on the Dremel, and finished with a small file.  Just a bit to take off, but it's worth noting.  As you can see in this mock up pic (without the handguard cap installed) it pushed the front end up slightly.  Did the mod last night, installed the cap, and all mates up properly now.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GbAj6_usDxg/VI-MXhDykQI/AAAAAAAAWv8/GW76TNZzbso/w960-h540-no/received_859179390770266.jpeg

View Quote

Cotter Pin?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#9]
They really need longer length SL handguards... midlength and rifle size.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#10]
We'll likely see the longer SL handguards after SHOT in Q1.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the SL handguard on my pistol and one of my 16" rifles. I really like this handguard, much better than the MOE. Very slim and very rugged. Losing the front swivel isn't optimal, but I didn't use the front sling attachment on the pistol anyway, and there are other options for a front sling mount.

Waiting anxiously for the mid-length version.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the SL handguard on my rifle. As others have mentioned, I think it is a big upgrade over the MOE. Feels better in the hand and looks a lot sleeker IMO.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Cotter Pin?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GbAj6_usDxg/VI-MXhDykQI/AAAAAAAAWv8/GW76TNZzbso/w960-h540-no/received_859179390770266.jpeg

Cotter Pin?

Yup.  It's the pins from my lower vise block.   Parts kit is waiting under the Christmas tree.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I just installed mine a couple days ago on my m&p 15 sport. I had a "tacticool" railed metal heavy handguard and it was just weighing the front down and was too thick for my small hands. The moe sl is very slim, and easy to grip and aim.  

The sl stock is very tight, no wiggle or movement AT ALL.  Nice and light, the rubberized butt plate is really comfortable and the tube is wider at the top for a good cheek wield.

The sl grip is better than the factory a2 and the hogue grip I had on there.  It's more vertical and gives a better lop to keep the rifle closer to me.

I also picked up the m-lok stubby vg and the m-lok is really secure and easy to install.

Since I lost my front sling mount, I just ordered an m-lok qd mount and an end plate qd mount along with a magpul ms4, I've heard good things about that sling.  Will update once I get the new gear.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 9:04:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the stock.

I like it better than the CTR.  Leaner, very simple controls and very good lockup - basically no wiggle.
I'm impressed with it and would buy another.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the SL on one of my carbines.  Just be sure to install the top half first.  It's a much tighter fit than the std moe. I agree with the others posting here. Very slim, great feel and just looks much better. Can't go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just installed mine a couple days ago on my m&p 15 sport. I had a "tacticool" railed metal heavy handguard and it was just weighing the front down and was too thick for my small hands. The moe sl is very slim, and easy to grip and aim.  

The sl stock is very tight, no wiggle or movement AT ALL.  Nice and light, the rubberized butt plate is really comfortable and the tube is wider at the top for a good cheek wield.

The sl grip is better than the factory a2 and the hogue grip I had on there.  It's more vertical and gives a better lop to keep the rifle closer to me.

I also picked up the m-lok stubby vg and the m-lok is really secure and easy to install.

Since I lost my front sling mount, I just ordered an m-lok qd mount and an end plate qd mount along with a magpul ms4, I've heard good things about that sling.  Will update once I get the new gear.

View Quote

Thanks for posting those. Great looking rifle.

Was in PSA store today fondling some of that SL stuff but they didn't have the color I want.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd like to hear about it.
View Quote

I like it.     Looking forward to the middy....

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 5:03:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Was in PSA store today fondling some of that SL stuff but they didn't have the color I want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got my kit from Midway, came out to ~$120 shipped for all 4 pieces.  The stealth gray looks better in person, what color are you going with?  I think it looks really modern in black, but I wanted to change it up a bit.  Only disapointment is no PMags in gray!
PSA has some great pricing also, I ordered a bushnell trs-32 for $45 shipped!  It is still processing, so I don't know when it'll get here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I got my kit from Midway, came out to ~$120 shipped for all 4 pieces.  The stealth gray looks better in person, what color are you going with?  I think it looks really modern in black, but I wanted to change it up a bit.  Only disapointment is no PMags in gray!
PSA has some great pricing also, I ordered a bushnell trs-32 for $45 shipped!  It is still processing, so I don't know when it'll get here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone looks better in black
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I put the SL stock and handguard on my 6920. I have the CTR stock on my 15-22 and the SL is every bit as nice and has no wiggle. I've only shot once since putting it on, but it's comfortable for sure. I really like the new SL handguard. I'm using an AFG2 on my 15-22 but I am going to wait on putting one on this rifle as I really like it bare. Haven't tried the grip, I like the MOE+.

[

Link Posted: 12/27/2014 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I like it. I plan on changing over all my furniture to it over time.

It also works with the IWC qd sling mount.

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/botach_2270_1134748660__84261140958792212801280_zpsda324c87.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/botach_2270_1134748660__84261140958792212801280_zpsda324c87.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/1511482_10155143656675413_3832034898554624941_n_zps95e71a35.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/1511482_10155143656675413_3832034898554624941_n_zps95e71a35.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/10481870_10155143656535413_3795086136036606886_n_zps889d7464.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/10481870_10155143656535413_3795086136036606886_n_zps889d7464.jpg</a>
View Quote

The SL stuff looks dope on your M&P. I dig the shit out of that new stock. I may have to pick one up
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The SL stuff looks dope on your M&P. I dig the shit out of that new stock. I may have to pick one up
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, and you should, I can't believe how good the stock is for the price! Super solid, when it's locked it feels like a non-adjustable stock! I'm digging the Stealth gray, can't wait to take it out and try out the ergonomics when shooting and moving.  I just got the m-lok qd mount, and am still waiting for the magpul ms4 sling to come in.  Also picked up a M3 20rd pmag, I really like the 20rders, decent capacity but it's shorter than the pistol grip and makes the rifle much more balanced.  Will lug out my slr and take some good shots when all the stuff comes in.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the SL forend on my .300blk.

BTW, I tweaked a leftover Troy/Vtac rail section to fit the MLOK slots and used MLOK nuts.
That gets me a light mount and QD socket.

Link Posted: 12/30/2014 2:40:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I like'm a lot.

I just received and OD green and grey SL hand guards today. Great design. Especially for the short carbine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I recently switched over my MOE Foliage Green stuff (gotta keep 'em mint since the color is discontinued ) to stealth grey, and went with the SL handguard and M-Lok AFG. I didn't think I would notice a difference in the handguards, but the SL is significantly smaller than the MOE stuff, and I like the extra length vs the MOE as well. I ended up staying with the MOE+ grip however, as I like the rubberized texture better. Here's how my M&P Sport sits now:

EDIT-

Sorry for the link, I can't figure out how to embed pics. Is it a post count thing or do I just have teh dumb?
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Your pic shows up, it's just a new guy thing until you've been around a while.
Cuts down on advertiser / shill spam.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I noticed that PSA has started offering MOE SL Lower Parts Kits and MOE SL Lower Build Kits.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#30]
My buds 11.5" BCM(Anderson lower). He loves the new hand guards.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:16:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Finally got the qd mount and sling, along with a front sight light/laser mount, I prefer to keep the rifle as "slim" as possible, didn't like side mounted lights.  I tried putting a pistol light on there, it was kind of bulky.  While it didn't bother the sight picture, having the bottom of the sight wider distracted me. I ordered a bayonet lug rail mount, planning to mount a tlr light w/ pressure switch to that, and a laser to the front sight mount with pressure switch.   Does anyone make a switch that can turn both on or separately?

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Finally got the qd mount and sling, along with a front sight light/laser mount, I prefer to keep the rifle as "slim" as possible, didn't like side mounted lights.  I tried putting a pistol light on there, it was kind of bulky.  While it didn't bother the sight picture, having the bottom of the sight wider distracted me. I ordered a bayonet lug rail mount, planning to mount a tlr light w/ pressure switch to that, and a laser to the front sight mount with pressure switch.   Does anyone make a switch that can turn both on or separately?

View Quote

Let us know how that lug mount goes. I've eyeballed mine only, but it looks like I'd have to do some surgery to the SL. I have 2 diff styles.

Both work great. Simple, streamlined, relatively light, and out of the way. Alas..

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:01:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I think that second style might fit barely, the first one probably not.  How is the second one tightened, are the bolts near the middle?  If so I would just cut off the rear part and you shouldn't need to mod the handguard.  You'd lose the qd mount, but just get the m-lok qd mount
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think that second style might fit barely, the first one probably not.  How is the second one tightened, are the bolts near the middle?  If so I would just cut off the rear part and you shouldn't need to mod the handguard.  You'd lose the qd mount, but just get the m-lok qd mount
View Quote

Unfortunately, the rear is what holds it in place. It locks on to the front lug at the same time the rr lines up with the sling swivel holes. Then you drive in their supplied roll pin. The first larger style pic'd works the same way, but uses a threaded long thin Allen head bolt instead of a roll pin. I may try myself, since I'm going to use the SLs on that very rifle soon. I have a rail M lock for the std side mount if I have too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:53:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the rear is what holds it in place. It locks on to the front lug at the same time the rr lines up with the sling swivel holes. Then you drive in their supplied roll pin. The first larger style pic'd works the same way, but uses a threaded long thin Allen head bolt instead of a roll pin. I may try myself, since I'm going to use the SLs on that very rifle soon. I have a rail M lock for the std side mount if I have too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the one I ordered. You can install it either way, but I will have the longer part facing forward, and I'm hoping (but doubtful) that it'll clear the round opening on the SL.  Worse case, I can grind off the first couple rails below the bayonet lug to fit it, as the securing bolt goes up vertically.  For $15 w/ free shipping it's worth a try!

http://www.botach.com/kley-zion-952488-bayonet-lug-mount/

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I like that one. Looks the smallest, least bulk. And the cheapest. The 2nd one I have, was around $45.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I like that one. Looks the smallest, least bulk. And the cheapest. The 2nd one I have, was around $45.
View Quote

Yeah, some of those mounts can get up there, have you seen what a surefire light mount costs? Botach.com also has the front sight mount I have, for $15 also.  I'm planning to put a laser there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:08:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm seriously considering going the SL handguard route when I do my SBR coming up in the near future. Hmmm
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a long time MOE handguard and PG user, but I decided to try the new MOE SL handguard and PG on my new pistol build:

I've always liked the MOE HG shape, but I think I like the SL shape better.  I'll consider switching my main midlength over to SLs once they are released, but not having Foliage Green is going to suck.  (I change my midlength's furniture between FDE and FG depending on season.)

The MOE SL grip is different.  I like the more upright angle, but decided I didn't like the smaller size on the above pistol.  I replaced it with a MOE K2 and moved the SL over to pistol #2:

I'm liking it better here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06638_zpsacb0f4d1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06638_zpsacb0f4d1.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06646_zpsc84118eb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06646_zpsc84118eb.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06647_zpsc62d569b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06647_zpsc62d569b.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06643_zpse92043db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06643_zpse92043db.jpg</a><a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06642_zps3666bf74.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06642_zps3666bf74.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06661_zps096b1d84.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06661_zps096b1d84.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06665_zpse29af7cb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06665_zpse29af7cb.jpg</a>
View Quote

What light mount is that?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Botach I think.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#43]
I like them a lot! Very slim (as the name says) and gives me just enough in front to get a good grip on the gun. It took me a bit to get used to the look but I'm happy with my purchase. I've only done the hand guard so far.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I like them a lot! Very slim (as the name says) and gives me just enough in front to get a good grip on the gun. It took me a bit to get used to the look but I'm happy with my purchase. I've only done the hand guard so far.
http://i60.tinypic.com/2v0n1a9.jpg
View Quote

CaptShiess, I think that setup looks awesome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i60.tinypic.com/2v0n1a9.jpg

Thanks! It is a great shooter!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#46]
The handguards are comfortable
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06638_zpsacb0f4d1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06638_zpsacb0f4d1.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06646_zpsc84118eb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06646_zpsc84118eb.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06647_zpsc62d569b.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06647_zpsc62d569b.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06643_zpse92043db.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06643_zpse92043db.jpg</a><a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06642_zps3666bf74.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06642_zps3666bf74.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06661_zps096b1d84.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06661_zps096b1d84.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/fingalwang86/media/DSC06665_zpse29af7cb.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r578/fingalwang86/DSC06665_zpse29af7cb.jpg</a>
View Quote

I do like the grey color. Might have to swap out the FDE on my old beater/KISS Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#48]
They need to come out with mid length SL handguards for the middy master race.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Botach I think.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#50]
will these handgaurds work with the osprey416 piston rod system ?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top