Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:10:04 PM EDT
Question(s) for you Optics guru's, as I'm still learning all things AR.  Particularly, the MOA ratings of Red Dot type sights. Name your favorite specific model or type, they all have some sort of advertised MOA rating for the actual dot. I've read up on some available resources, but I'm still a little unclear about what that rating is actually saying, and what is the more preferred?

So if I understand, the advertised MOA is not only talking about the actual size of the dot within the optics sight, but also how it correlates to the area in inches the spot "overlays" a target @ 100yds, correct?

For Ex:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/spdr8cer/6MOA.jpg

So for target shooting/varmint hunting/longer range shooting you'd want a a smaller MOA rating. For closer/CQB type activities you want a larger MOA rating for faster target acquisition.

Am I close, or just WAY off base with this?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
moa is roughly i inch at 100yds. It stand for minute of angle or minute of arc depending on who you speak with. Generally in small arms we speak in minutes of angle, artillery would be minutes of arc. A one moa dot would cover 1 inch of the target at 100yds. It would be 1/2 inch at 50yds and 1/4 inch at 25. You mutiply the moa times the distance in yards. So that same dot would cover 2 inches at 200yds, 5 inches at 500yds, and 10 inches at 1000yds, The main thing to consider when picking an optic in reference to the dot size is the usage of the firearm. If all of your work will be within 200 or 300 yards, you would want a larger dot. Larger still if most of it would be in cqb type situations. The larger dot will be easier to pick up on and should be faster. My personal preference is the standard eotech reticle because the dot size is imoa, allowing for precise and longer range shooting, while having a circle around it that makes it quick to pick up with the eye and get on target at closer ranges. It , the 65 moa circle ,can also be used as a range estimator.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
you are correct a 6 and 8 moa is for cqb, since viewed at 200 yards its 12" or 16" the size of a mans torso, while 2moa is 4" at 200yards which always finer targeting....esp when it turns into 400 yards.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, OK. That's what I needed to know. I had a hunch it it was a multiplication factor of the 1" MOA aspect. Just wanted to make sure I really had my mind wrapped around the concept correctly. Nothing like buying an optic expecting 1 thing, only to find out the choice made was not correct.

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#4]
You are wise in seeking counsel here young padawan. I'm just an apprentice here as well, and there is much to learn. But if I can impart some of the knowledge that I have obtained, I will be eager to pass it on.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top