Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/9/2018 9:21:38 PM
Posted: 11/6/2018 11:26:11 AM EST
So I know these are 2 sides to the same coin, and both are used to essentially do the same thing.

Before I buy my Vortex PST II I was curious to see if there was something I missed when it comes to reticles.

I was going to go with a PST II 1-6x on my 14.5” and a 2-10x on my 18”.

I just don’t know if I should go with MRAD or MOA. I’m leaning towards MRAD across the board but I want to make sure I didn’t overlook something.

So my question is:

Which did you choose (if at all) and why? MRAD or MOA?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:33:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/6/2018 12:31:16 PM EST by StraightMiataMan]
As long as your reticle matches your turret, you should be good to go.

Past that, does you/your spotter range things in yards or meters? MRAD is metric and MOA is imperial. If neither/don't care, then go with whichever. MRAD seems to hold a bit more popularity among precision shooting while MOA is more normal for everything else in the US since we're off the imperial system.

Most things you're going to be dealing with are going to be in reference to your sighting system if you're using it to range and size targets, your spotter isn't going to say "come 2.5 feet up" and make you convert that through to metric and then to mils, they'll just tell you "come 4 clicks up." So it's largely not going to matter. If you're not getting into serious precision, then as long as you have the right information punched into strelok it won't matter either.
edit: see comment below

TL;DR - it doesn't really matter much so long as your adjustments match your reticle markings.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:52:10 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]TL;DR - it doesn't really matter much so long as your adjustments match your reticle markings.
View Quote
That’s about what I thought. I just didn’t know if there were inherent differences that’s made one preferable over the other.

Since I’m new to both, I wanted to see what people with experience are predominantly using.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:05:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Donster_125:

That’s about what I thought. I just didn’t know if there were inherent differences that’s made one preferable over the other.

Since I’m new to both, I wanted to see what people with experience are predominantly using.
View Quote
You'll probably want this moved over to the Precision Rifles forum, you'll get a lot more experience on this topic over there, it's not really an AR-specific topic.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:21:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:

You'll probably want this moved over to the Precision Rifles forum, you'll get a lot more experience on this topic over there, it's not really an AR-specific topic.
View Quote
Probably so.

Also, MRAD is not metric. One mil at 1000 meters is one meter. One mil at 1000 yards is one yard. One mil at 1000 donuts is one donut. It's just another angular measurement. I'd go MRAD, as it's not too fine for shooter's math. As for the reticle matching adjustments, it's a "nice to have", but not at all a show stopper. You'll do fine work with the MRAD reticle and MOA adjustments, but matching things up is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:30:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By RictusGrin:

Probably so.

Also, MRAD is not metric. One mil at 1000 meters is one meter. One mil at 1000 yards is one yard. One mil at 1000 donuts is one donut. It's just another angular measurement. I'd go MRAD, as it's not too fine for shooter's math. As for the reticle matching adjustments, it's a "nice to have", but not at all a show stopper. You'll do fine work with the MRAD reticle and MOA adjustments, but matching things up is the right thing to do.
View Quote
My b, thanks for the correction.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:48:37 PM EST
Originally Posted By StraightMiataMan:

My b, thanks for the correction.
View Quote
Determining distance in yards or meters through the MRAD reticle using the mil-relation formula is just a matter of using a constant of 27.77 or 25.4, respectively. It's not an imperial/metric thing, though thinking in inches with regard to MOA is close enough.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:59:51 PM EST
I like MRAD.

1.3Mils up, .3 left?

13 clicks, 3 clicks.

MOA

4.5 MOA up, 1 MOA left?

18 clicks, 4 clicks.

Either is fine, Mils is better.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:11:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:13:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By samuse:
I like MRAD.

1.3Mils up, .3 left?

13 clicks, 3 clicks.

MOA

4.5 MOA up, 1 MOA left?

18 clicks, 4 clicks.

View Quote
#METOO
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:19:54 PM EST
Nothing but MRAD FFP for me. I like things to be simple, counting in metric (by tens) is simple.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:21:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
Nothing but MRAD FFP for me. I like things to be simple, counting in metric (by tens) is simple.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:19:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By samuse:
I like MRAD.

1.3Mils up, .3 left?

13 clicks, 3 clicks.

MOA

4.5 MOA up, 1 MOA left?

18 clicks, 4 clicks.

View Quote
Yup.. Right there with ya... I got my first Mils scope this year after being a MOA guy for a long time...

Mils was the right choice... easy to zero... easy math... I did not have any problems making the switch, and I'm getting to be an old crabby dude....
Top Top