Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 8:44:43 AM EDT
I recently purchased and installed a set of Midwest Industries non-FF railed handguards on my Bushie AR-15 Carbine.  I really like the build quality of the guards but the darned things have just a little bit of wiggle which is really annoying me.  hinking.gif The old basic plastic guards that came from the factory locked in nice and tight.

I contacted MI and they suggested that my handguard cap might be "out of round" but upon investigation this does not seem to be the case.  The handguards are loose at both the cap end and at the barrel nut where the handguards have little pins that are supposed to lock into place.

Since it is well known that, collectively, AR-15.commers know everything there is to possibly know about AR-15s I was wondering if anyone had run into this problem before and if there's a possible solution to the wiggle: adjustments, shims, etc.?

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:59:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine wiggles a little up and down when holding my VFG.  I got rid of some of the play by taping on the handguard cap, but there is still some play.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:00:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup. Initially mine were loose until I seated the delta ring properly. They don't move at all now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two sets of the MI two piece modular ones and they are rock solid. Check your delta ring.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help.  I'll give the delta ring a good wack (tap really) when I get home and see how that does. h.gif
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Well it's definitely not the delta ring.  That's where it should be.  I tried gently sqeezing the top and bottom halves of the guard together. With just a little pressure from my thumb and finger they lock in nice and tight and do not move at all.  However with out the squeeze the top half rotates about a 1/16" of an inch side to side around the axis of the barrel.  The bottom half moves slightly, but more like 1/32" if that. There is no muzzle to stock movement at all.  

Perhaps it's the handguard cap afterall.  I did attempt to tap it tighter onto the handguards but that didn't seem to do much.  However, I wasn't particularly aggessive in my attempt because I really don't have the best tools available (yet) and was afraid of damaging things.

Troy, if possible I'll give you a call but I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that while at work.  I have no doubt that you guys will help me get this thing perfect. hail2.gif

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine are tighter than hell.  And that is after I had to beat a TG viertical grip all the way down on them!   Of course I had them installed with my new upper so they were installed right.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#8]
On my set, the upper half doesn't move at all, and the lower only slides back and forth front to back the tiniest amount, but only if I yank the foregrip back and forth.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I had an issue where my bottom piece locked in tight but the top would wiggle from side to side a little.  It was really annoying.  Since it relys on the handguard cap and the notches in the cap to lock it in, I squished my cap with a set of channel lock pliers until they locked up tight.

I have a Bushmaster M4 that I put these on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice.  I talked to Troy from MI over the phone and he had a similar suggestion.  I'll give that a try and see how it works.  From all the glowing reports I've heard about these guards I'm pretty sure now that it's my rifle that's the problem and not the guards themselves.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, wacking the handguard cap didn't work so went with Jackal's suggestion and squished the cap with a "c" clamp.  Took a few tries to get it right, but when I had trouble getting the handguards past the delta ring I knew I was on the right track.  Sho'nuf they in there nice and tight now and don't move at all.

Thanks for all the help! hail.gif
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, wacking the handguard cap didn't work so went with Jackal's suggestion and squished the cap with a "c" clamp.  Took a few tries to get it right, but when I had trouble getting the handguards past the delta ring I knew I was on the right track.  Sho'nuf they in there nice and tight now and don't move at all.

Thanks for all the help!

I have a MI mid-length set coming for the "triangular" handguard cap, which is what I do have. Should I expect to have to perform the same "adjustment"? Yes, I know this probably is a case by case issue, but I worry when I have nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I doubt you'll have any problems.  From all the reports I've read/heard my problem was definitely the exception to the rule.  It may just be that I somehow managed to bend the cap when I removed the original handguards.

On the very odd chance there is something a little off, from my dealings with Troy at MI, I know they'll do what it takes to get things working for you. Gotta love excellent customer service!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a set of the rifle length - that I got to review - they are very snug, and the rifle length uses the triangular cap.

Remember there are two models for carbines, one for Colt handguard rings, and one for all others.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Can you explain exactly what you did with the channel locks/c-clamp please? I have a bit foward-to-back movement on my MI handguards. It does it on both of my uppers (J&T and Stag).

Thanks,
Matt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top