Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 2/21/2007 11:55:26 PM EST
I've been planning to put together something like an SDM-R.

I like the idea of the MGI for the flexibility to change configurations.

Will the MGI offer the same level of accuracy with a good heavy stainless match barrel as a quality forged reciever like a CMT or LMT?

How about compared to a Larue or Vltor Billeted Upper?

Are there any "ideal" fitting dimensions for the barrel extension on a barrel to be used with the MGI upper?

Who would be a good source for an SDM-R configuration barrel set up to be used in an MGI upper (no barrel nut, etc.)?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:10:35 AM EST
Well, twl has stated that Advanced Barrel Systems uses an MGI QCB upper to accuracy test their barrels, and sub-MOA groups seem to be the norm for them, so I suppose there's little to no practical difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:36:36 PM EST
It should have the potential for more accuracy-it's free-floated. I'm using one of the older MGI models as a basis for a RECCE. Make sure the barrels you buy for it come without the barrel nut and delta ring-you want them totally stripped behind the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:43:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By whoanelly:
It should have the potential for more accuracy-it's free-floated. I'm using one of the older MGI models as a basis for a RECCE. Make sure the barrels you buy for it come without the barrel nut and delta ring-you want them totally stripped behind the gas block.

Don't most barrels come standard with a barrel nut, and why would it be a problem? Can't you just slip it off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 1:34:39 PM EST
You can, but for me it was a pain to remove the gas block.
Top Top