Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 1:25:57 PM EDT
I have an MGI CQB upper with a .223 barrel. Pretty standard. But I would like to buy a .500 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM barrel and bolt for it. My question is: Has anybody encountered any problems with this configuration? Will the upper clamp/lever mechanism be compromised due to the enormous amount of recoil? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Also, which is cheaper to shoot considering I don't reload?
Where can I buy a stand-alone barrel and bolt?

thanks...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1737:
I have an MGI CQB upper with a .223 barrel. Pretty standard. But I would like to buy a .500 Beowulf or .458 SOCOM barrel and bolt for it. My question is: Has anybody encountered any problems with this configuration? Will the upper clamp/lever mechanism be compromised due to the enormous amount of recoil? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Also, which is cheaper to shoot considering I don't reload?
Where can I buy a stand-alone barrel and bolt?

thanks...

I have not had any issues with my CBQ upper. I have shot 458 Socom, 338 Specter, 300 Whisper, 5.56, and 7.62x39 out of mine.
Biggest issue with the 7.62 and the 338 is getting good mags. Some of the steel mags when loaded will not fit in the well of the lower(not the upper's fault). No issues with 300 Whisper, 556, or 458.
On the recoil, best to ask Marty, he works with CBQ and invented the 458 Socom:
I will look up his email and post it.
Do not know which would be cheaper, I reload.
You cannot to my knowledge by a 50 barrel alone, Alexander only sells complete uppers. Marty at Teppo Jetsu will make you anything you want. He will also invent stuff you do not really need, but is really cool. You end up with 4 or 5 or his uppers....
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:27:34 PM EDT
teppojutsu@ev1.net

http://www.teppojutsu.com/
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:53:18 PM EDT

There is one more issue with the MGI upper, it's ejection port. The 458 upper comes with a milled port and no dust cover (at least when I got mine). I was able to open my port with a Dremmel tool, and it does function. It is right on the edge of functioning, and enough material on the port and spring, so your mileage may vary. I have not tried it full auto, and it seems to function best with Magpul followers. If you have no problems losing the dust cover, than it is a non-issue.

As to the recoil and the MGI, I can only relate that the designer performed a particular test that I was asked not to repeat, and he found almost zero recoil forces at the lever point. So, I am taking their word that it will hold up for the long haul. If you want more detail than this, you will need to contact TWL and see if he will relate it to you.

As to the barrel and bolt for the 458, give Marty a ring/ping. I bet he can get you fixed up. As to the 50 barrel and bolt, good luck, as I suspect that might need it talking to AA.

Craig
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 6:18:54 PM EDT by usma89]

Originally Posted By Bearbait1:

There is one more issue with the MGI upper, it's ejection port. The 458 upper comes with a milled port and no dust cover (at least when I got mine). I was able to open my port with a Dremmel tool, and it does function. It is right on the edge of functioning, and enough material on the port and spring, so your mileage may vary. I have not tried it full auto, and it seems to function best with Magpul followers. If you have no problems losing the dust cover, than it is a non-issue.

Craig

Good point, I forgot that. I helped with my 338 Specter also.
Top Top