BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2004 2:26:46 PM EDT
Been hearing a lot about the MEGA lowers. Anyone had any problems with them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I will be able to tell you tomorrow, I am in the middle of a little problem with them right now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered 2 of them. Thats why I asked.
Going to use them for my first try at building my own.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Mega lower and flat top upper. I put a RRA lower kit this past Saturday in about an hour.
Still need to put a stock on but  only problem I had was shooting the front pin retainer off the ceiling  
once.  Nice finish, no tools marks and everything seems nicely in spec.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I will be able to tell you tomorrow, I am in the middle of a little problem with them right now.

Please keep us informed.  I may have a finish related problem with an upper and a lower.  Contemplating if it is a problem and whether I should pursue it or not.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#5]
cant say

been waiting more than a week to get some info/ update on my order for 5 of em
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:14:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have two early Stinger Lowers from Mega and they are equal to anything out there.
I have no problems with them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have two early Stinger Lowers from Mega and they are equal to anything out there.
I have no problems with them.

I had a Stinger and the finish on it was much better than the Mega that I have right now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
What is the problem with your finish Mongo? Description?
I have seen MEGA Lowers at a Gun Show and was not impressed with their finish either Sort of grey and pebbled..... Is this what you are referring to?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What is the problem with your finish Mongo? Description?
I have seen MEGA Lowers at a Gun Show and was not impressed with their finish either Sort of grey and pebbled..... Is this what you are referring to?

An accidental hammer drop while testing a newly built receiver "chipped" the finish, like paint would chip if struck.  I wouldn't expect this from hard coat anodizing, but from lesser finishes, I've seen the same.  I also see other areas where the finish seems to be chipping off.  These areas aren't even contact areas.  The mega upper has the same finish "chip" on the brass deflector.

I was going to post a pic, but my digital camera decided it was time for a recharge.  I'll post one later.

I'm wondering if I want to go through the whole FFL transfer fee BS and try to remedy this with MEGA or just keep it and refinish it myself with some other means - it might end up as a perfect Duracoat or Norells candidate, to make the best out of the situation.

I won't be getting anymore MEGAs, but I may try their Stinger line again, as the Stinger I had looked exactly like my Bushmasters and PWAs I have, not the shiny, pebbly finish on the MEGA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#10]
tag for pics.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd have to place mine in the category of "out-freakin'-standing."
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine are great, I am working on a few as we speak.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
See in the interior of the receiver, where the hammer contacted the receiver.  The pic isn't very good, but the finish chipped off the aluminum when the hammer contacted the receiver.  See also the two small chips on the left side of the bolt release lever.  I have no idea how they got there, likely when I drove in the roll pin, but I certainly didn't hit the receiver there.

Maybe I'm being picky, but this is a new, unfired receiver, except for the little hammer drop incident, but I'm wondering how this reciever will hold up down the road.  I've dropped quite a few hammers on ARs in the past without this result.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
No complaints with mine as well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Cropped out the damn serial number.  Didn't see that at first.  The pic came out better that way anyway.  Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but the finish is definitely chipped off, I didn't dig down to bare aluminum with one hammer drop.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:31:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey,

First post though I've been Lurking for a while.   I am also looking at the MEGA lowers.  Who all has them in stock?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#17]
mongo001,

I'll see what I can dig up.  What you are saying jives with some other thoughts I had in my head.  There is more than one company anodizing through the guys who do Mega receivers, I'm seeing similar stuff.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Got mine from Georgia Precision. Look over in EE under new AR parts
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Agreed. I bought some, built them, bought more, built....etc.

Every single one went together with no problem, uppers always fit fine, function great and finish is...sheesh, im not that anal. Its a rifle not a classic car.

BTW, nothing personal, but I know better than to let the hammer fall on a lower receiver, and if I did, I wouldnt blame the receiver as being shitty because I fucked up. I have always understood major damage was possible from this negligent act. I am surprised there was as little damage as there is, and think those pics are a testimony of their stout composure, instead of a tale of their shitty quality.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:46:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed. I bought some, built them, bought more, built....etc.

Every single one went together with no problem, uppers always fit fine, function great and finish is...sheesh, im not that anal. Its a rifle not a classic car.

BTW, nothing personal, but I know better than to let the hammer fall on a lower receiver, and if I did, I wouldnt blame the receiver as being shitty because I fucked up. I have always understood major damage was possible from this negligent act. I am surprised there was as little damage as there is, and think those pics are a testimony of their stout composure, instead of a tale of their shitty quality.

I'm happy that noone else has any problems with their receivers.  Like I stated, I am betting this is part of a bad batch or something.

This was purely a stupid accident on my part, BUT I had it happen before on a true anodized receiver with NO damage to the receiver.  On this MEGA, no metal was deformed from the hammer strike, it maintains its original shape, but with no "finish".  The simple fact is that whatever coating is on this receiver chipped off.  It is not anodized, as far as I can tell.  Anodizing etches and dyes the surface of the aluminum, it does not coat it, like paint, and is does not chip off.  Anodizing wears off, but it doesn't chip off.  Ok, the inside of the receiver is my fault, I'll give you that. but how do you explain the two small chips near the bolt release?

ETA:  There are also chips near the forward takedown pin area.  Remember this hasn't had an upper on it that has been fired, only mounted.  Not knocking MEGA, just providing info on potential problems with their products.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
See in the interior of the receiver, where the hammer contacted the receiver.  The pic isn't very good, but the finish chipped off the aluminum when the hammer contacted the receiver.  See also the two small chips on the left side of the bolt release lever.  I have no idea how they got there, likely when I drove in the roll pin, but I certainly didn't hit the receiver there.

tinypic.com/ckj2a
tinypic.com/ckiux

Maybe I'm being picky, but this is a new, unfired receiver, except for the little hammer drop incident, but I'm wondering how this reciever will hold up down the road.  I've dropped quite a few hammers on ARs in the past without this result.

to quote you on this finish chipping problem, mine has the same marks and i think it is more of letting the hammer drop without an upper on it. i think that is the main reason cause i have bushie and ameetec lowers that have the same marks on them.

i have thought back about it and all of my lower builds were completed before they had uppers to be put on them so i would let the hammer drop onto the reciever.  so it could be the problem

and for everyone else, i think these lower are the shizznit!!

finish on them are dark and they hold up to strong chemicals too. ive had anything from clp to paint thinner sitting on the finish and nothing has changed. except for the thinner but it was because it cleaned all the oil off but one wipe with clp and the're dark again

all the parts went together perfect and the upper lower fit with bush, jt dist., rra, and model1 have been very snug!

also wanted to add that all lower parts kit used were from bushmaster except for a few 2stages from rra and one with the kns anti rotational pins

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a Mega Gator stripped lower last year. DPMS lower kit installed just fine. The mag well seems a bit tighter than my Colt and DPMS. Rubs a bit more finish off my GI mags but still drop free. After the ban, I put a Colt 7.62 upper on it because I like the fact that it say multi caliber instead of .223/5.56. The Western 7.62 mags are really tight in them, especially when loaded. Had to pound on it to insert and pull hard to remove. Guess I’ll have to get some USA Franken mags.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:57 AM EDT
[#23]
anodizing does NOT necesarilly dye aluminum...UNLESS dye is added to the chemical bath during the process.

What we are most likely seeing is a Clear anodizing (which hardens the aluminum, but does not color it) and then a Moly type finish over it.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Anodizing is just a coating.  It's aluminum oxide with dye.  Paint can chip when struck -- why wouldn't you expect damage to an anodized coating when it's abused as well?  The photos above do not depict a defect, only the result of something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#25]
A proper anodized finish doesn't chip - bottom line.  You can scratch it off, wear it off or sand blast it off but it doesn't chip off.

Why all the doubts??  Sure I dinged the finish with the hammer drop, but what about the rest of the chips??  They are unexplained by my misfortunate accident.

I'm just showing you a potential problem with the product, that is all.  I still haven't decided to pursue this or not.  It may cost as much to ship it back, receive it or another back with FFL fee, etc. as a new receiver would cost, so I may just take the lump and refinish it myself.

Or maybe I'm the first to discover a problem with these receivers.

Who knows or cares, it's my problem to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I didn't mean to attack your post, as it may have sounded (now that I reread what I wrote).  I see your point, but there are quite a few variables in play, not the least of which is the angle of the strike and the fact that it occurred on a 90° corner.  That may have exacerbated the ding.  Whether or not the rest of the receiver would be prone to similar marks under various handling conditions is anybody's guess, but I doubt very seriously that in the long run anybody will be criticizing Mega for their anodization.

Regarding the dings near the bolt catch, I caused identical dings in a Colt lower once.  It's one of those things that makes you smack your forehead and say "doh!", but it's no defect.

To make a conclusive determination, I think Mega should send me a dozen or so complete rifles so BlammO Jr. and I can put them through a long-term torture test.  Then we can see how the finish holds up.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A proper anodized finish doesn't chip - bottom line.  You can scratch it off, wear it off or sand blast it off but it doesn't chip off.

Why all the doubts??  Sure I dinged the finish with the hammer drop, but what about the rest of the chips??  They are unexplained by my misfortunate accident.

I'm just showing you a potential problem with the product, that is all.  I still haven't decided to pursue this or not.  It may cost as much to ship it back, receive it or another back with FFL fee, etc. as a new receiver would cost, so I may just take the lump and refinish it myself.

Or maybe I'm the first to discover a problem with these receivers.

Who knows or cares, it's my problem to deal with.

Surefire lights are Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized, I've dropped many and got exactly what you did, chipped to bare aluminum.  

Dude relax, it's wear on the interior that nobody can see.  It's gonna happen.  Are you gonna refinish your rifle everytime you get a little scratch?  

It seems like you're trying to drum up support to convince yourself it's the manufacturers fault when you caused the damage.  It's not worth the hassle to send it back.  Besides, Mega will probably tell you tough tits anyway.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#28]
"From the AAC (Aluminum Anodizing Council):

ANODIZING'S BENEFITS

The unique anodized finish is the only one in the metals industry that satisfies each of the factors that must be considered when selecting a high performance aluminum finish:

Durability. Most anodized products have an extremely long life span and offer significant economic advantages through maintenance and operating savings. Anodizing is a reacted finish that is integrated with the underlying aluminum for total bonding and unmatched adhesion.

Color Stability. Exterior anodic coatings provide good stability to ultraviolet rays, do not chip or peel, and are easily repeatable.

Ease of Maintenance. Scars and wear from fabrication, handling, installation, frequent surface dirt cleaning and usage are virtually non-existent.  Rinsing or mild soap and water cleaning usually will restore an anodized surface to its original appearance.  Mild abrasive cleaners can be used for more difficult deposits.

Aesthetics. Anodizing offers a large increasing number of gloss and color alternatives and minimizes or eliminates color variations. Unlike other finishes, anodizing allows the aluminum to maintain its metallic appearance.

Cost. A lower initial finishing cost combines with lower maintenance costs for greater long-term value.

Health and Safety. Anodizing is a safe process that is not harmful to human health.  An anodized finish is chemically stable, will not decompose; is non-toxic; and is heat-resistant to the melting point of aluminum (1,221 degrees F.)

Since the anodizing process is a reinforcement of a naturally occurring oxide process, it is non-hazardous and produces no harmful or dangerous by-products."

Link

I honestly believe there is a difference in the way MEGAs are finished and other Type III anodized receivers, like Bushmaster, PWA, Colt, RRA, etc.  This explains the slightly shiny, pebbly finish, vs. the dull flat black (or grey) finish of the others.

Like it or not, there is a potential problem here.  I'm just letting you know.  People are asking for opinions.  I gave mine.  I'll decide which route to take, if any, to get it resolved.  Obviously, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#29]
My MEGA lower was a tad tight on the inside around the hammer pin. As a result, the hammer rubbed a bit against the inside of the receiver and would not pivot all the way forwards. This happened with two different known-good hammers. I stoned a little material off the hammer and everything went together OK. Not a huge problem, but irritating and not something I would like on a serious rifle (this one is a .22LR plinker only).
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#30]
mongo, Surefire is considered the best in the industry.  Hard anodize WILL chip, I've seen it first hand over and over with Mil Spec Type III.  I don't give a crap what the aluminum council tells you.  They are trying to sell their products as the best and exaggerate.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Color Stability. Exterior anodic coatings provide good stability to ultraviolet rays, do not chip or peel and is impervious to nuclear strikes, and are easily repeatable.

Like it or not, there is a potential problem here.  I'm just letting you know.  People are asking for opinions.  I gave mine.  I'll decide which route to take, if any, to get it resolved.  Obviously, YMMV.

Sorry, I have to disagree with them and you. Are you trying to say if you take a punch and hammer and hit this lower the metal will not get a chip like this in it???? The paint doesnt normally chip unless the metal is forced to reform itself and make a divot for outside forces. Obviously the above isnt true or we would all be painting our cars with it, never to have the paint hurt again even by a Mack truck.

You admit you phucked up when you let the hammer strike. You also keep mentioning the mark on the side, a mark I have on one of mine from a punch strike during an early lower assembly.

Sorry, there is nothing wrong with these lowers past the point of operator error.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh, I forgot, I'm arguing with the experts here.  Is it not possible that I have a receiver from a bad anodizing batch?  Everybody else here is fine and I have one that is questionable.  Is that so hard to comprehend?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:56:22 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Oh, I forgot, I'm arguing with the experts here.  Is it not possible that I have a receiver from a bad anodizing batch?  Everybody else here is fine and I have one that is questionable.  Is that so hard to comprehend?

I have built up a few of them. Love them.

Your are totally correct though, you could have gotten a lemon?

Question for you Mongo, Could you drop the hammer on some of your other brand lowers, without the uppers on them, and post the pics as to what it looks like?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Its not about experts, its common sense and admitting fault and culpability. The real question is, do you actually believe this anodizing makes the lower impossible to damage??? Your position suggests you do. I will bet you a machine press it doesnt. Hammer strike can be used as a substitute.

My grandmother used to say, "Everyones crazy but me and thee and sometimes thee think that thou art".

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I like my Gator just as much as my Bushie.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not about experts, its common sense and admitting fault and culpability. The real question is, do you actually believe this anodizing makes the lower impossible to damage??? Your position suggests you do. I will bet you a machine press it doesnt. Hammer strike can be used as a substitute.

My grandmother used to say, "Everyones crazy but me and thee and sometimes thee think that thou art".

I'm wasting my time with this.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm wasting my time with this.

Only if you are going to pout and take your ball and run home.

Why cant you articulate a rational presentation of facts surrounding the issue?

If anodizing is indeed kevlar, a punch applied to a lower would leave no mark. The paint if fine trough normal wear & tear. However when the metal is deformed and broken through operator error, the paint cant holdon to air.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#38]
More wasted time but:  None of the dozen other anodized receivers that I have or had, being Bushmaster, RRA and PWA exhibit any of this.  Many have been dropped, bumped around, driven around in a truck or whatever.  None of them have the shiny, orange peel finish that the MEGA has.  At the risk of breaking a hammer, I'd be willing to do this to one of my PWAs for effect.  I'm betting the result is different.

If the people who basically define what anodizing is and contribute the the specs, etc., nothing that I can say will change your mind.  You obviously know more about the subject than the people that do it for a living.

Edited to add:  The AAC has nothing to sell.  It is a group of people who are in the industry.  Why not believe what they say.

Why is it so hard to believe that I may have a defective product?  That is all I am presenting here.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:33:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
More wasted time but:  None of the dozen other anodized receivers that I have or had, being Bushmaster, RRA and PWA exhibit any of this.  Many have been dropped, bumped around, driven around in a truck or whatever.  None of them have the shiny, orange peel finish that the MEGA has.  At the risk of breaking a hammer, I'd be willing to do this to one of my PWAs for effect.  I'm betting the result is different.

I have never dropped a hammer on any of mine, its advised against by any source and I think this incident is the exact reason why. I would like to see the result of your PWA post-hammer.

If the people who basically define what anodizing is and contribute the the specs, etc., nothing that I can say will change your mind.  You obviously know more about the subject than the people that do it for a living.

Thats to the surface application itself. If there is no metal for it to hold onto how do you expect it to stay in place? If you would spend less time attacking me, and more time addressing my point we may be able to get to the root of this.

ETA If you anodized cardboard would it too be resistant to chipping??? Again, the description is to the coating, which is rendered N/A after the base is gone. Which is exactly what happens when the happer makes the metal go away.

Edited to add:  The AAC has nothing to sell.  It is a group of people who are in the industry.  Why not believe what they say.

Why is it so hard to believe that I may have a defective product?  That is all I am presenting here.

Its so hard to believe because.....

1) Because nobody else has had any problems.

2) You admit to abusing the lower.

3) You refuse to admit that anodizing is not the end all protectant that will protect air after the metal it covers is gone.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#40]
You know very little about the anodizing process.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
If you would spend less time attacking me, and more time addressing my point we may be able to get to the root of this.

ETA If you anodized cardboard would it too be resistant to chipping??? Again, the description is to the coating, which is rendered N/A after the base is gone. Which is exactly what happens when the happer makes the metal go away.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You know very little about the anodizing process.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Hey Mongo, I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but would you mind checking the spot under magnification?  I'm wondering if perhaps you lost a thin sliver of metal under the concentrated impact of the hammer as opposed to losing just some of the anodizing.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Edited - waste of my time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#45]
I could be wrong, but I think the Mega lowers are more of a clear coat anodizeing with a teflon type coating?...If that is the case I can see the coating flake off if hit ( like aTeflon  cooking pan).

That being said, I have half a dozen from all number ranges over the last year, I love them!, I beat them! I have painted one. they are the best receiver for the money, and I honestly think these receivers are better than some of the ABCD companies...

Sorry to hear about your flake, but I have one just like it from a punch on my Bolt release, I have drop'd the hammer on my Megas before and have not had a prob, but I use DPMS hammers and they hit the Bolt catch not the receiver...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Mongo,

PM headed your way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Well I ordered directly from Carricoz and have been waiting 23 days now. I can't seem to get a reply fom them by either telephone or e-mail. Last I heard from them was over a week ago and they said they lost my order. Still waiting and will keep you informed
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:49:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Ordered mine from Georgia Precision. Will let you know how long it takes to get them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:05:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Question for you Mongo, Could you drop the hammer on some of your other brand lowers, without the uppers on them, and post the pics as to what it looks like?

LMAO!

Mongo, since your lower is so bad I'll give you $50 for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Did it to one of my Bushmasters yesterday, with the bolt catch removed.  Minimal damage to the receiver with no loss of anodizing - nothing even close to the MEGA.  Pic to be sent later this afternoon.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top