Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2008 9:00:49 PM EDT
This company claims their upper kits are made by LMT.  Anyone know anything about them?  What is the catch?  They have a sales rep at the local gun show selling "LMT Upper kits" for $500 or so.

http://www.mapartsinc.com/faq.asp#count_16

From the above link:

Why are your prices higher than some others that I have seen advertised?

It is because of quality factors. We buy all of our parts from current manufacturer USGI and Government Contractors. We make nothing on premises nor from any foreign country.

Everything
is US manufactured that goes into your AR15 rifle. Our upper receivers
are manufactured by Lewis Machine and Tool, and LMT cuts and chambers
the uppers using Wilson or Mike Rock Premium Barrel Blanks, which they
then headspace and test fire. We do have some Rock River Barreled
Uppers as noted. [The few foreign parts that are shown on this website
are so noted in the descriptions – they do not come in any rifle/carbine kit, period.]

Link Posted: 10/26/2008 10:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
LMT has made things for many different companies over the years. The things sold there will not have the LMT name on them. It could mean that they are high quality LMT parts sold to that company, or parts LMT didn't want to put their name on. There was a big thread on this a while ago and the general consensus was that without them being marked who knows who actually made the product. If you went that route, I wouldn't go around saying "I have an LMT rifle," because while technically true, not quite. As I said, LMT has made products for many other companies.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]

I have looked at MA parts uppers in person at gunshows while in IL.  They look fine in general, however they are not the same as LMT uppers.  They do not use F front sight bases- I realize LMT does not mark theirs F either but they are .40 taller.   MA has all 1/9 barrels and most are not chrome lined- again not the same as LMT which uses 1/7 and are chrome lined.  The bolts are not MP tested nor do they even have any markings at all- not the same as LMT.  Are MA uppers junk?  No, but they are not the same as LMT.

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have built 3 rifles on M&A kits and 1 with an M&A upper.  One of the 16" car kits I built the upper came with an LMT tag attached to the upper with the test fire box checked off.  Even though the BCG included was not an LMT BCG it was a superb upper.  If you get an upper that is chambered and assembled by LMT you will get a quality upper that has been checked over.  One of the uppers was a RRA upper and I don't know who did the other 2.  Either way all four worked as advertised.  Also, all of the LPK's have been excellent quality.  I would trust M&A if I was going to do another build.
Link Posted: 10/27/2008 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I have looked at MA parts uppers in person at gunshows while in IL.  They look fine in general, however they are not the same as LMT uppers.  They do not use F front sight bases- I realize LMT does not mark theirs F either but they are .40 taller.   MA has all 1/9 barrels and most are not chrome lined- again not the same as LMT which uses 1/7 and are chrome lined.  The bolts are not MP tested nor do they even have any markings at all- not the same as LMT.  Are MA uppers junk?  No, but they are not the same as LMT.

They may still use LMT uppers, the barrel is only part of a "complete upper" The say they use wilson barrels.

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They may still use LMT uppers, the barrel is only part of a "complete upper" The say they use wilson barrels.

LMT uppers ar like any other Cmt, Colt, etc. except LMT puts dry lube in them- MA does not.....   Not that that matters.  They are not LMT and for only $50 less than an LMT you don't get much......

Link Posted: 10/27/2008 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an MA parts assembled midlength upper, with an Eagle arms lower.It's my favorite AR. It will hold the 10 ring at 600yds on a NRA highpower target. I wouldn't count on that, but mine does and I'm thrilled with it. I ordered it with a flat top and free float quad rail. I shot it with a 32 power scope and sierra 69gn match loads.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top