Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2013 12:24:56 PM EDT
Good Afternoon:

I built an AE Engineering lower with a DPMS parts kit, an A2 stock and a Model 1 Sales DCM legal upper.

My issue is this....  It seems that the mag release button seems inordinately sticky.  I greased it up with some Lubriplate, and took an older scrap magazine and popped it in and out a bunch of times, hitting the mag release button.  This seems to have loosened it up a bit, but pushing in the button to release a magazine  still is not as buttery smooth as my RRA or Colt are.

The good thing is that the magazine whether it is a GI, Colt Civilian or P-Mag locks in smartly each time and the follower causes the bolt to lock to the rear each and every time.

So, do I just keep working the mag button in an effort to wear it in, is there any stoning that I ought to consider, or do I have an issue with DPMS's mag release button and lever?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Wally.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Try pressing the button in and backing the arm around one rotation.  You may have it too far in and the spring is binding.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Hello there.

I just did that, and it got as loose as a goose, particularly when the push button is pushed flat to the right side of the receiver.

It didnt seem to have enough threads on the screw to keep it captured, and a another couple of thousandths of an inch the mag release would have fallen down to the 6 O'Clock position..

I screwed it back.

I recalled it was 5 turns for proper installation in the bushmaster video.

Regards,

Wally.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Takes about 8 turns to screw a mag release in untill the catch rod end flushes out with the face of the button. Sounds like you did not screw it in far enough and it is pushing to far out of the lower when you push it in. To screw a mag catch in to where it needs to be you have to push the button in deeper with something to allow the catch to be turned a couple or three more turns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 12:49:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi Mr J3:

OK< I screwed it in another three turns, so that ought to be 8.

It seems better.  I think you hit it on the head.

I don't understand why I was told 5 turns when it ought to be 8 turns.  Perhaps the Bushmaster parts require less turns...(?) Not sure.

I will sit here and work the button some more until my arthritis starts to bother me.

Thank you for your advice.

Regards,

Wally
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The thread protion end should be close to flush with the face of the button but not screwwed in so far it sticks past the button face to hit your finger.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I typically put mine where the threads are almost even with the end of the release button.  I even tightened up a Colt to do this, only 1 turn over factory.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top