Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/11/2006 2:36:04 PM EDT
I remember back around 99 that the Reflex seemed to be the choice of the SOCOM boys on M4s, why did that not continue and let see some pictures while we are at it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a model with a NSN number
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont think that the reflex is all that bad!

But I do have a ML2/551
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the Reflex, EOTech, and a TA-31.

The Reflex is an "ok" optik... but I prefer the brighter reticles available in the other models.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
The lack of needing batteries is always a plus IMO.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one on my Colt forgery. I'll post a pic later when I find them.

I like my reflex and got a really good deal on it. Had one since 2000 or so.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
bump
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the NSN model Reflex sight on my very first AR15. I liked it but got rid of it for the Aimpoint several years later.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There was a model with a NSN number

Lot's of things get NSN numbers.  The Aimpoint (aka M68), the EOTech and the ACOG all have NSN numbers too and they are still being purchased.  The Reflex is not a bad optic, but the others are better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I remember back around 99 that the Reflex seemed to be the choice of the SOCOM boys on M4s, why did that not continue and let see some pictures while we are at it.

They wash out fairly bad in really bright sunlight, also when your using a white light. It was great in theory, but sort of not so hot in pratice.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't the IDF still use them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
It fogs up, debris such as mud can keep it from working, it just plain sucks at dusk or twilight and worst of all if washes out when used with flashlights or when aiming from inside a structure out into bright sun.

Fine for a range toy for when you go shooting on nice sunny days, but not for anything else.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't the IDF still use them?

Don't think so.  They have a domestic product that is similar in appearance but is electronic and has a light sensor that automatically adjusts the brightness of the dot.  Similar to the older sight they had, the falcon I think it was called.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The metro light or something right?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a reflex, and I now have an EOTech. The Reflex is not terrible, but it's not in nearly the same class as an EOTech/Aimpoint.

You remember your ammo, right? Remember your water and food? Remember batteries, too. It's not hard.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had a reflex, and I now have an EOTech. The Reflex is not terrible, but it's not in nearly the same class as an EOTech/Aimpoint.

You remember your ammo, right? Remember your water and food? Remember batteries, too. It's not hard.

Very true, but Murphy is a mutha fucka
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very true, but Murphy is a mutha fucka

There are several options available for keeping a set of spare batteries available on the weapon.  Tango Down front and rear grips and the Magpul MIAD grip can all carry spares for the EOTech.  Some Aimpoint mounts have a spare battery compartment built into the mount.  There's no reason to have dead batteries for more than a minute or two unless you're in the field without resupply for months on end.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Why aren't the HSLD guys using Reflexes anymore???

Because better stuff came along, simple as that.  The Reflex was a good sight...but it's been surpassed.  Great that it doesn't use batt's, but it omitts batt use for an inferior reticle (brightness/controll).
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Reflex was great for its time until the Aimpoint came along.  Red has always been easier for me to see than amber.

My old setup which I liked very much:

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I like mine, no dead batteries and I don't have to remember to turn it on or off, I also have an ML2 but the reflex is primary for me. That said, I'm NOT a professional:)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Can anyone give any background who used it in the military and for how long?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I have an OKO/SP-4QD set up on my "indoor" M4 and some pretty CavArms furniture. But, I have an Aimpoint for my "outdoor" M4 and a KAC M4 RAS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Can anyone give any background who used it in the military and for how long?

It was part of the 'standard' SOCOM M4 package, but only people with experience in those units could tell how much those were actually used versus other optics purchased with individual unit funds.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Would it be possible to improve the Reflex? Make it more like an ACOG's illumination? I have neither and have always wondered why it was not product improved.

96Ag
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Would it be possible to improve the Reflex? Make it more like an ACOG's illumination? I have neither and have always wondered why it was not product improved.

96Ag

I would imagine that an etched reticle would improve the washout. I got rid of mine only for that reason. On the ACOG you still have a reticle if you lose the illumination.
That being said I'm now an Aimpoint and ACOG user. I like the adjustable brightness level the Aimpoint offers. I also had an EOTech but found the Aimpoint worked better for me with the easier(for me) controls.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

96Ag

They seem to have put the effort into the tri-power.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#28]
There is a reflex model that you can insert a small cyalume lightstick into to make the chevron brighter.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top