My weapons:
--------------
Weapon1: RRA M4-gery
Sights: Aimpoint CompML2 co-witnessed w/ BUIS
Ammo: Q3131A 55gr fmj
Zero: 50/250yards IBZ

Weapon2: Savage 10FP-LE2B McMillan stock .308Win, adjusted 2# Accu-trigger
Scope: Simmons Aetec Illuminated Reticles
Ammo: Hornady 150gr SST (Super Shock Tip)
Zero: 100yards

Backup sidearm: Sig P226 Sport Stock loaded w/ fmj
Field Optics: Bushnell Laser Range Finder & compact binocs.
Camera: Canon SLR Digital D30

My friend and I finally got some time last week to do another hunt/hog control on his relative's  
chicken ranch. As we rode ATVs to search for hogs on open terrain, we spotted a feral hog about  
200yards away downhill. By the time we dismounted our ATVs, I grabbed my bolt action .308Win,
my partner lasered in the hog and called out the distance "146yards". Click-Click, bi-pods
engaged, I am flat on the ground, I told my friend to "focus on the head", as he looked thru the
binocs.
  Cross-hairs on the hog's head, I thumbed the safety off, and gently squeezed the 2# Accu-
trigger. Boom, the 150gr SST bullet flew @ ~ 2850fps, impacted the right side of  the head just
below the eye. Angle of entry was about 75deg, exited between the jaw & neck area. The ground
was sprayed with massive blood splatter. Instant death was delivered, the SST bullet did its job
well on this ~180# boar, though the bullet was not found, I assumed it mushroomed well to have
created a 3" exit wound.
  While we walked the brushes, my M4gery strapped to my chest, I saw a sow, ~150# about 40
yards away with two youngins, about 60 & 70# in tow. As they trotted along, my Aimpoint's
red-dot was on the sow's neck. Boom, sow went down, red-dot re-targeted on the first youngin's
shoulder within a second, Boom, first youngin downed, 2nd youngin took off out of sight in the
brushes. Oooh, the excitement of fast sight acquisitions, and multiple targets. The 2nd youngin
returned into sight, gave my friend the AR, Boom, 2nd youngin downed. Lord, red-dot & an AR
is so much fun for multiple targets. We're done for the day. Hope we have this much luck on
our next hunt/hog control.

~180# boar

~150# sow

Two youngins ~50 & 65#
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like u had a lotta fun!  Good shootin'!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice gun, can't comment on the hunting though, i'm the type who buys pork in bacon/store bought form.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Bacon, baby!  BACON!!!!!!!!!!  Awsome hunting.  It looks like you guys had a great time.  I need to go boar hunting here, but never seem to get around to it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:03:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice. Mmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:32:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like fun
Immage not fd   (180#)
Need any help ? Sounds like a pistol hunt would be fun also. I am kinda far away, darn .
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comps, image 180# is back up, and lots of bacon to smoke up
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:20:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah baby! Get Some!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#9]
looks like fun

from now on you should refer to hogs as tangos... just so you have the joy of saying "tango dow" to your partner

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
looks like fun

from now on you should refer to hogs as tangos... just so you have the joy of saying "tango dow" to your partner

That would be fun saying "tango down", but didn't want to dis-respect true operators out there when my 4-legged tangos never shoot back
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like you are in the Hill country. I'm in East Texas, and don't see that many in daylight. You and I seem to carry the same battery (except my AR is a Colt and my 308 is a Remington)- good to know it's working for you.
I hear what you are saying about the joys of multiple target engagement... I used to be an avid armadillo hunter until they got scarce. I especially congratulate you on distancing yourself from armchair commandos.
I've been using a scope on my AR; you've given me a reason to move forward on a different type of sight.
I bet you've dealt with the problem of trying to scope in on a water moccasin or rattler at about 3 feet, too.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I can only imagine what the liberals would say.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Looks like you are in the Hill country. I'm in East Texas, and don't see that many in daylight. You and I seem to carry the same battery (except my AR is a Colt and my 308 is a Remington)- good to know it's working for you.
I hear what you are saying about the joys of multiple target engagement... I used to be an avid armadillo hunter until they got scarce. I especially congratulate you on distancing yourself from armchair commandos.
I've been using a scope on my AR; you've given me a reason to move forward on a different type of sight.
I bet you've dealt with the problem of trying to scope in on a water moccasin or rattler at about 3 feet, too.

Thx MaxBob, I've dealt w/ snakes & varmints on some of my hunts, and red-dot sight on any weapon  & a backup handgun are great for any close encounters. I only mount scopes on any weapon that are intended for 100+yards use. My wife saw a big grin on my face, and understood disposing multiple targets is a great stress release from my 9-5 coding in my office.  
I've been a bolt action & handgun hunter for the past 12yrs, this forum got me addicted to AR hunting
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice animals in deed, I my self would have left the little one's for future hunting and only take a large kill as the strullge of handling a large boar would make it worth the kill, almost like you had to work for the meat..
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Very nice animals in deed, I my self would have left the little one's for future hunting and only take a large kill as the strullge of handling a large boar would make it worth the kill, almost like you had to work for the meat..

The chicken ranch owner have 100K+ chickens he raise & sell, this is his family's lifelihood.  He told a while back "a sighted hog must be a dead hog, no exceptions" ... many ranchers in Texas who's had hog problems would agree w/ that remark, and I am pleased to comply w/ his wishes as long as I am a guest on his land  
These feral hogs breed like rabbits, they destroy land and kill livestocks. I know many counties in Texas pay contractors/agents a fee for every hog ears they brought in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn do I wanna go hog huntin...

Them pics are making me hungry too.  Haven't had breakfast or lunch.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These feral hogs breed like rabbits, they destroy land and kill livestocks. I know many counties in Texas pay contractors/agents a fee for every hog ears they brought in.

Ah I did not know that was the case, I would have taken them all as well.   Nice shooting ...
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
nice shooting tex.  Hey, aaaah, is that the factory stock on that savage?  I see you got quite a recoil pad on there.  Does that help with extended shooting sessions?  seems like you had quite a day.  Most deer I ever shot was two in a row.  But it was with .35 rem lever gun, iron sights.  25 and 75 yards.  You don't need a red dot for it to be fun but I can see where you're coming from.  I've yet to shoot a deer with my ar. But I plan to.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]
That looks like a BLAST.  I'm going to have to do it sometime.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:47:50 PM EDT
[#20]
How good is the 55 grain FMJ on  a hog?

I hear their front shoulders are tough.

Thanks

CRC
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:48:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Gut em and blanch them in boiling water to clean em and such and then roast em slow...best piece of pork you ever hadoh good shootin
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:11:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I'd love to have the back straps of the young ones over coals right now!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Can I get a "Hell Yea"?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:16:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Your hog hunting AAR's are always excellent!  Keep it up!

I've been looking to get the exact same Savage for awhile now, hopefully next week if I see any at the local gun show
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#25]
JJRea:
Savage 10FP-LE2B comes w/ McMillan A5 stock, but I've added the Pachmayr F990 Magnum recoil pad @ home, & blended to stock. Very comfortable, and I've shot as much 40rds in a session before w/o feeling recoil shoulder pains

CRC:
I've hunted about 6 hogs w/ my new AR using Q3131A, all were shot in head, neck & heart/lung area w/ 100% success, I would avoid aiming large hogs in the shoulder. I am pretty sure the Q3131A would penetrate a large hog's thick shoulder, but deep penetration to vitals after that may be questionable.

Links to previous hunt w/ Q3131A:
Trophy sized boar
Sow & deer

Thanks Yellow5 & everyone for the compliments, glad you gents enjoyed it, I know I enjoy reading hunts stories from others

As for the Savage 10FP-LE2B, this rifle is so sweet, great bang for the money too, mine is .3" group w/ Hornady 150gr SST, I bet it could do better w/ 175gr match ammo. Trigger adjustable within 5 minutes from safe 1.5# - 6#. what else could one ask for
Review on my Savage 10FP-LE2B

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice hunting! I plan on taking my AR out for a hunt or two this year as well.
As for what the "liberals" would say, I would hope that there environmently aware enough to know that feral hogs are a pest and they need to be eraticated completely. Go get 'em Kat!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Now that's.... " From Tactical to Practical"!!

Good shootin' , Nice Rigs, Nice Pics and Good Eatin' !
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Now that's.... " From Tactical to Practical"!!

Good shootin' , Nice Rigs, Nice Pics and Good Eatin' !

Thx Strick909 & Slakline.

Now, if I sat around watched Black-Hawk Down for the 30th times in my theater room, my wife would call me a geeky programmer who wants to be a SpecOps wannbe, so have to prove her wrong and put my gears to realistic use, even though my hogs have no weapons to shoot back
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Good photos ...  Missouri has some feral hog population spread out throughout the state.  I've hunted them once before in Barry County, MO but came up empty.  The day before, the guy that owned the land we hunted on killed one down by a creek that he had baited with corn (baiting feral hogs is legal in MO).  I've recently been researching the subject a little further preparing to take my Bushmaster M4 along for a hunt so it's cool to know other people are having some success.  Dang things are ugly as sin though ... Don't know if I could eat one ...  Anyway, about the best bet I have in Missouri it seems is hunting them on public land in the southern part of the state.  I've read the things like to wallow enough so I figured I'd check along creek beds/ponds for signs before I drag everything out there.  Should be a blast.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the Savage 110LE in .308, with the Choate "ultimate sniper" stock.(A John Plaster design thing) Accuracy for these "lower priced"(WHAT??!?) rifles is nothing short of amazing. There are people who don't like them because of that. *shrug* For "business" purposes I've found it to be completely satisfying. No need for the Remington 700 unless you just want one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have the Savage 110LE in .308, with the Choate "ultimate sniper" stock.(A John Plaster design thing) Accuracy for these "lower priced"(WHAT??!?) rifles is nothing short of amazing. There are people who don't like them because of that. *shrug* For "business" purposes I've found it to be completely satisfying. No need for the Remington 700 unless you just want one.

I agree, Savages' are known for their great accuracy out of the box. In the past, they have less desired triggers, and stocks. Now, they have awesome user-adjustable triggers, and available McMillan stocks, and still priced for the working man... Just sweet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top