Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/25/2002 3:17:01 PM EDT
What makes these things so much more desireable than a standard style 16" barreled AR? The only differances I can tell are the bigger handguards, the gernade launcher step down and the price.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, if you can get one in a pre-ban set-up, it makes for a very compact package.

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=M4Madness&album_id=70796&image_id=6&show=image¶m=8454[/img]
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Cause they are what the SF guys have. Badass, gotta have one.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
keeping up with the Jones's.

i love it when the "Jones's" are US Special Forces.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#4]
What makes them more desirable?

They make beautiful women swoon with passion, and strong men flee from you in terror. [:D]

Actually, I'm in the process of making an M-4 type carbine, and the regular carbine handguards fit my hands better.

Never underestimate the attractions of "kewlness."

Here are a couple of links regarding the AR-15 for "social purposes":

"AR-15s For Serious Use"

[url]http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/ar15sforserious.htm[/url]

"Ideal Rifle"

[url]http://old.ar15.com/docs/idealRifle/[/url]

Gabe
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They make beautiful women swoon with passion [:D]
View Quote

Where are my beautiful women?
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
What makes them more desirable to me is what you cant see. Forget who has them or how cool some people think they look. So what? Why I buy them for is the weight savings. Underneath those fat handguards, the barrel is machined down thin. This saves a NOTICABLE amount of weight. HBARs are, simply put... heavy! Needlessly heavy in fact. M4 barrels are significantly lighter and more handy.
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What makes them more desirable to me is what you cant see. Forget who has them or how cool some people think they look. So what? Why I buy them for is the weight savings. Underneath those fat handguards, the barrel is machined down thin. This saves a NOTICABLE amount of weight. HBARs are, simply put... heavy! Needlessly heavy in fact. M4 barrels are significantly lighter and more handy.
View Quote

Which is why my Colt 16" HBAR upper is off to "fat camp" aka Kurt's Kustom Firearms to get slimmed down to an M4 profile.  Then I can add all the weight back on (and more) with a Surefire M500A light.

But it's a [i]good[/i] kind of weight [:D]

Gabe
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 9:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesnt the 'lightweight' non M4 barrels also have the skinny back half?

I dont see the point in only making half of the barrel skinny to save weight. What makes that way better than the old pencil barrels of the SP1's?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Doesnt the 'lightweight' non M4 barrels also have the skinny back half?

I dont see the point in only making half of the barrel skinny to save weight. What makes that way better than the old pencil barrels of the SP1's?
View Quote

I have often wondered that myself. When my HBAR craps out on me, three or four cases from now, I am going to get lightweight.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 2:11:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#11]
My question is why take a heavy barrel and have it turned down? Isn't it about the same price has just buying a M4 Barrel from Bushmaster.
Patrolmans 16"----$185.00
Superlight 16"----$185.00

What happens if you change your mind and decide you like a Heavy Barre? You can't add the material back, so you have to buy a barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 7:49:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the reason most people get their barrels turned down is because when they got the HBAR, they didnt know the M4 barrel was thinner and lighter. And didnt know what a waste of weight an HBAR is. So instead of getting a new barrel and then having to rebarrel their upper, which is a chore not many of us will do ourselves, they just send it off to Kurt to take that weight off. After you have already spent the money on the HBAR, this is the least expensive route to go. Of course just getting a lighter barrel to begin with makes the most sense, but not everyone is aware of the differences at the time of purchase.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#13]
WHY? Because people in general are "followers" by nature. This site is a prime example. Having a HBAR barrel turned down when lightweights are available is ludicrous! But the fact many on this site are doing it must make it the best route to go, right?
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 11:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Thats the way I seem to understand it AKM. The only reason I could see someone turning an HBAR down is because they are spoiled and dont want that funky looking GL stepdown.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
WHY? Because people in general are "followers" by nature. This site is a prime example. Having a HBAR barrel turned down when lightweights are available is ludicrous! But the fact many on this site are doing it must make it the best route to go, right?
View Quote

Ever had to carry your AR farther than to staple up some new targets.  Or had to cover a target with it for any length of time?  H-Bars are for benchrest shooters.  If you use it for defensive purposes, it NEEDS to be light.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my local gunshop owners is as fickle as a thirteen year old girl...

When he had a bunch of Bushmaster M4geries for sale, they were the greatest thing since sliced bread... He couldn't stop singing their praises...

Later, I went in and bought a nice Armalite A2 carbine. I asked about the Bushies and he said,"Oh, you mean those over there with the FAKE collapsable stock?" (like they were junk or something"

Heck, I like em both and have shot both. He is just a salesman I suppose...

I was going to buy an AR10 from him, but I'm not sure I can get a straight answer from him...

M4's are definitely cool. Their appeal is purely cosmetic kewlness for me...
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My question is why take a heavy barrel and have it turned down? Isn't it about the same price has just buying a M4 Barrel from Bushmaster.
Patrolmans 16"----$185.00
Superlight 16"----$185.00

What happens if you change your mind and decide you like a Heavy Barre? You can't add the material back, so you have to buy a barrel anyway.
View Quote

that's too bad you sent it off, i have an M4 barrell i want to trade for a 16" HBAR.

ian
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally I like the heavy bbl's, especially when you'll be shooting rapid or FA. The bbl's will be a bit more accurate, and a heck of alot less chance of cook offs.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
My favorite was and still is the STANDARD GI A2,
But almost all Army front line units use the thing, not as dependable as the A2 , But most of all, the 62g 556 dosent perform properly out of a 14.5in barrel. But with that said ,i have one too, LOL. [heavy]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/DBS09.JPG[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/100_FUJI-65%20007.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/100_FUJI-65%20012.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
AND OUR TWO "HEROS" [BEER] ARMY and the MARINES.

[img]http://www.thermaldynamics.com/pictures/area51/JANDLHEROS.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:27:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Of course, this may all change now as the newest, greatest M4 upper from Colt is a full heavy profile barrel except for the M203 cut.  Dennis Todd had a very few at the SAR show for something like $1500!!  Most are getting sent to the troops.  But for those that gotta have the latest, don't send that HBAR off to the chop shop just yet!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 12:25:36 PM EDT
[#23]
We own semi autos for the most part and the HB is only usefull if you can shoot up your 15 mags full auto in a single engagement.  Only the people who own full autos will be getting the HB M4s.  None of the major posters or maderators here will be getting them.

I wish a barrel was available without the GL cut and thin under the handguards.  Since its not I got an M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have used a Car-15 since the late 60's...NOTHING on this planet can beat that rifle for sheer utility, with accuracy, light weight, and ruggedness. My Colt Car-15 A1 is a classic, 3o years old and still shoots like new. However, I also own an M-4 16 Bushy and a custom recreation (as much as legally possible)
of the Car-15 survival rifle. 14" lightweight barrel with a soldered on flash hider from an M1 carbine, tubular stock, shortened sawed off A-1 piatol grip. A-1 upper...the BARE minimum...weighs under #5. I also have aquired a pair of the origional 20 rd. Air Force Mag pouches...if only i could find the drop case.
Oh well...thats what "collectings" all about.
Give me a C-More anytime.
                 GW
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top