Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2003 7:29:56 AM EDT
Well, other than my constructive use of the word "need" and all the facts of gun ownership. I was wanting to know the advantages of the m4 over the standard ar-15. I think that it has been built up in the movies. Funny thing is that the guys that actually use these things (special forces exc.) all have aks or ak varants. Does that say anything to me. I think so. I think that ar15 has all the toys and spare parts you could ever want, before the real use comes in. I dont think that it has quite done the job that it was built for. But check out my site anyway www.tradefirearms.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#1]

So, our Special Forces, SEALs, Delta, and other highspeed operators all use the AK and it's variants?

I knew they were hiding something from us all along...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty obvious, methinks.

Lighter.

Smaller.

Nifty optical sights on most examples.

I used mine in a carbine course and was pretty happy with it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Scott:

that's a pretty provocative statement re. use of AK's by our troops. I won't event take the bait on that one. But, hey maybe you will get traffic on your site.

good luck
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#4]
The AK and AR have distinct sound signatures. Id be using an AK in a hostle environment so they would think it was their buddy shooting at the enemy, unaware I will soon be shooting at them...
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The AK and AR have distinct sound signatures. Id be using an AK in a hostle environment so they would think it was their buddy shooting at the enemy, unaware I will soon be shooting at them...
View Quote
I guess that'd work if you were stupid enough to be out there alone, or maybe it'll work in the next Steven Seagal movie, but in the real world you'll have other guys around too.  Looking, sounding or acting like the bad guys is a good way to get shot by your buddies.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well, other than my constructive use of the word "need" and all the facts of gun ownership. I was wanting to know the advantages of the m4 over the standard ar-15. I think that it has been built up in the movies.
View Quote
 You're obviously new here, otherwise you'd undertand that the M4 has been in use by the military and was being copied by people on this site long before they started appearing in movies.  And even now they are really not that common in movies.  

Funny thing is that the guys that actually use these things (special forces exc.) all have aks or ak varants. Does that say anything to me. I think so.
View Quote
 It says to me that you haven't been talking to many of the guys that actually use these things.

But check out my site anyway www.tradefirearms.com
View Quote
Until you begin contributing to the boards by either paying to be a sponsor or by providing informative posts instead of trolls like the above you do not have the right to spam these boards.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Hop, do you know the real reason why they would be using AK's?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not hop but I will answer your question anyway:

Field expedient solution - availability of ammo and weapons on battlefield if you are low and don't have resupply.

Sterile ops. - do not want US made weapons used.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
ok, im no expert but what i have read on the subject of what special teams use are several types of weapons. what ever fits best for the operation, they have a vast array of weapons to choose from which include Aks and other arms. i think that they pick and choose wisely for the op.
like when the special ops were running around in bahgdad before the first strike i would think they would have had AKs to stay covert among the vermin that they were mixed in with, if they carried whacked out M4s they wouldnt blend in to well, AKs would be smarter in that situation. just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Funny thing is that the guys that actually use these things (special forces exc.) all have aks or ak varants.
View Quote

Wrong.  Some armored vehicle crews in Iraq got permission to use AKs because there werent enough M4s to go around and a Beretta doesnt cut it at keeping a guy with an RPG from smoking you at close range.

The pics of the members of TF20 standing over the bodies of Uday and Qusay's bodies were well armed with some nice high speed M4 variants.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:36:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hop, do you know the real reason why they would be using AK's?
View Quote

There have been two circumstances where AKs were used:

- As Lumpy said, we had a bunch of tank crews armed with M9 pistols who had to dismount and patrol on foot.  

- Green Berets working directly with indiginous forces (i.e. anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan) where everybody around them also had an AK and 5.56mm resupply was a long way off.  Edited to add that they put in a special request for custom modified M4s that would allow them to use locally available AK mags and ammo without giving up the M4 design that they considered far superior.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Edited to add that they put in a special request for custom modified M4s that would allow them to use locally available AK mags and ammo without giving up the M4 design that they considered far superior.
View Quote

Absolutlely true - I've got the SOCOM Budget Request touching on that subject in the documents section at my website.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top