Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 9:33:07 PM EDT
I would like to purchase a M4 upper. I am after a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash suppressor. I currently have a Rock River Standard A4 and have been happy with it.

I am intrigued by the LMT and CMMG uppers.  What is the quality of these uppers compared to the RRA? Does the M4 grove make much difference?

Should I be looking at some other uppers?

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I would like to purchase a M4 upper. I am after a 14.5" barrel with a permanently attached flash suppressor. I currently have a Rock River Standard A4 and have been happy with it.

I am intrigued by the LMT and CMMG uppers.  What is the quality of these uppers compared to the RRA? Does the M4 grove make much difference?

Should I be looking at some other uppers?

Thanks,

Steve

RRA if price is a factor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The CMMG uppers are a great value for the money.  The nice thing about CMMG also is you are dealing with real nice people too,  Mine was very accurate.  Here is a 30 round group off of an ammo can at right around 70 yards.  

IDHunt
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I own both, one of CMMG's DPMS 16" pre-ban 1/7 twist M4 and a LMT 14.5" w/ permFS 1/7 M4.

They are both excellent rifles with the LMT being just a bit shorter/handier.

They both perform excellent with the LMT having a slight edge in accuracy over the DPMS. This is using the same BH blue box 77grn. SMKs out to 300 yard/mtrs. (Note: the LMT is equipped with the more expensive LMT bolt and standard carrier).

And when I say "slight" I mean around 1/8"- 1/4" at most @ 100 yards, which is quite difficult to tell as both rifles are equipped with Aimpoints, not condusive to knat's ass accuracy with 4MOA red dots.

Either is an excellent choice and CMMG is a great guy to deal with as is Paul at Bravo Company which is where I bought my LMT upper (think I got my LMT bolt from dennysgunsGTS another great dealer, I like to spread my money around ). See them all on the EE.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:37:27 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, I chose a Bushy M4 barrel (1/7 pre-ban) and a CMT A3 upper.  I'm happy.  FYI, I think Pete (Legal Transfers) still has some Bushy M4 pre-ban 1/7 barrels with perm phantoms for sale on the EE....and Denny (Denny's Guns) has the CMT complete uppers for $89 shipped.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
CMMG  
HFG
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:56:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got a couple of LMT uppers and am very impressed with the quality.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
LMT
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have ;
Bushmaster 14.5", 1/7, M4 with a four port Phantom
CMMG/DPMS 14.5", 1/7, M4 with a five port Phantom

The difference's;
BM has a  black parkerized finish with a forged FSB.
CMMG has a grey parkerized finish with a cast FSB. Yoji, I have no concerns about this either.
However, I *beleive* CMMG is now using forged FSB's.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Not too long ago I talked about CMMG's cast FSB's with our own one man AR wrecking crew, Capn_Crunch.  Here's what he had to say about them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CC,

Excellent thread going on the torture tests.

BTW, did I read correctly that you will be testing the cast FSB vs the foreged FSB?

IIRC, you also have a CMMG upper like mine and I would be very intrested to see how rugged the DPMS cast FSB is. At least we'll get a real answer and put all the questions to rest.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on the test results!

Regards,

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris, you read right  Let me warn you now that the DPMS cast FSB is not like an Olympic one. That was a BAD test for me to start, hehe. The DPMS base like you and I have is every bit as strong as a forged one for all practical purposes. I took my upper and ran thru our killhouse with it, and intentionally nailed every door frame, window pane, and protruding object that I could find. It scratched it up a little, but it still works. As long as your sight is taper pinned on, YOU could beat on it and it would go anywhere... And it looks like your arms are about the size of my waist, hehe.

The OlyArms cast FSB is a POS though. I've broken several of those (our PD bought Oly ARs about 5 years ago... That mistake didn't last long!) thru minimum contact w/ a doorframe. Yes, a doorframe is an AR15 killer. They have this amazing ability to render almost any weapons system useless, because you always strike them at the perfect angle to break something. Thx for the kind words about my project!

-End-

If CMMG is using forged FSB's now that's great but I stopped worrying about the cast FSB after CC told me about the torture test results.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No matter what you label them, CMMG uppers are still DPMS uppers. You'll have to decide for yourself if that is good or bad.

LMT all the way...

Acually, they are not.  We have started our own line of uppers.  All of our barrels have forged front sight bases now.

Jeff

That's great news!  Are you guys also now using "M4" barrel extensions and uppers with factory machined ramps?  BTW, will you be making any 20" 1/7 barreled uppers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top