Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 1:11:25 PM EST

Ok i am installing a standard M4 stock onto a lower,

I am using the black and white instructions but it is unclear wether the buffer tube screws all the way into the receiver completely covering up the retainer spring? or is it screwed in enough and the remaining threads are hanging out??

Is the order the tube then the locking ring, then the backplate? that would leave alot of threads bar and open.

Any pics of assembled or half assembled would be perfect.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:18:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 1:20:27 PM EST by mattld]
The new buffer tube screws in until the leading edge of the tube covers the first part of the buffer retaining pin it hits. You will know you are at the right spot when you can no longer screw it in anymore. If that happens, look in you reciever and notice how the actual buffer retaining spring-thingy is preventing you from screwing in the tube further.

Also, it must be noted that both the castle nut and the reciever plate must be ON the tube while you are screwing it in. It might also help to have the stock on the tube as you install it.

So as you screw the tube in, the plate will get closer and closer to its position. Once you are unable to screw the tube in, stop, and back it out until the plate lines up with the hole it fits in. Now make sure that the safety spring is in its hole and press the plate up against the reciever. Now, holding the plate on, start screwing the castle nut forward until it holds the plate securely. Now all you have to do is assure the stock is in alignment with the reciever and then tighten the castle nut as much as you can. I put a little LocTite Blue on my castle nut to help it hold still.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:19:53 PM EST
Try downloading the -23 and follow the instructions (with pics). (click on Information then select Manuals & Downloads).

BTW its screwed in enough to retain the buffer retaining pin.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:23:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 2:04:54 PM EST by SkiandShoot]
thanks guys. doing it now.

IF you meant the 23-9 document, first on the list 2.8 megs, there is nothing in it about M4 buttstock additions etc.

I got it installed. It just seems odd that there is a bit of threads left on the buffer tube hangin out there still though. and empty space left on the receiver that actually has threads too that's past the buffer retainer.

Sadly, my first takedown spring went "BOOOINNNG" into oblivion. i had a spare and installed it though. If anyone has an extra spring i would love to buy it from them!

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:46:35 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:
thanks guys. doing it now.

IF you meant the 23-9 document, first on the list 2.8 megs, there is nothing in it about M4 buttstock additions etc.

I got it installed. It just seems odd that there is a bit of threads left on the buffer tube hangin out there still though. and empty space left on the receiver that actually has threads too that's past the buffer retainer.

Sadly, my first takedown spring went "BOOOINNNG" into oblivion. i had a spare and installed it though. If anyone has an extra spring i would love to buy it from them!

Don't worry about the extra threads showing on the tube. I would be worried if you had none left to show!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:53:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By SkiandShoot:

No I mean the -23 as in "Unit and Direct Support Maintenance Manual"

I can assure you it has all you wanted to know about installing M4 buttstocks.
Top Top