Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/31/2005 2:10:29 AM EDT
What is the difference between GI and commercial?? Is it the OD of the tube? What is the OD?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:23:40 AM EDT
Colt buffer tubes are slightly larger diameter than those made by others.

Most aftermarket "custom" VLTOR, Magpul, etc... stocks are designed to the Colt spec, and will be loose on RRA, DPMS, Olympic, Model 1 etc.... buffer tubes.

Is this what your getting at?

Mike

ps - there ain't that big a difference and there are many ways to tighten up a loose collapsible stock
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:41:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/31/2005 2:43:39 AM EDT by redfisher]
OD is Outside Diameter and is a oft used reference point

eta: maybe you knew that and were asking what the measurement value is.... ...sorry its early

If so?....I don't know the measurement, but can get it later today if someone else hasn't offered it

Colt is the Military or GI dimension with others being slightly different. Not sure why it would not be a standardized part, but it ain't

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:45:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Most aftermarket "custom" VLTOR, Magpul, etc... stocks are designed to the Colt spec, and will be loose on RRA, DPMS, Olympic, Model 1 etc.... buffer tubes.

Is this what your getting at?

Mike

ps - there ain't that big a difference and there are many ways to tighten up a loose collapsible stock

Are you sure about that? I can't swear to it but I think you might have that backwards? - I was lead to believe the CavArms\RRA\Bushy tubes were bigger then the Mil-Spec\Colt tube which is why you can not install a Vltor\Crane\LMT stock on them as they will not fit at all?

I don't have any of the CavArms\RRA's that's why I can't say for sure?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:08:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cgv69:
Are you sure about that? I can't swear to it but I think you might have that backwards? - I was lead to believe the CavArms\RRA\Bushy tubes were bigger then the Mil-Spec\Colt tube which is why you can not install a Vltor\Crane\LMT stock on them as they will not fit at all?

I don't have any of the CavArms\RRA's that's why I can't say for sure?

You could be correct as it's been some time since I dickered with my M4 stocks, either way the difference between mil-spec tubes and commercial is in most cases quite slight and my Colt or RRA M4 stocks (both new and old versions) have caused no major problems on any of my 3 M4s buffer-tubes, (which atleast one I know is factory "Colt"; but then I haven't bought into the the need for those over-priced Magpul, LMT, Crane or VLTOR boat-anchors, as I use the standard issue type M4 stocks, which work perfectly fine for me)

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:03:27 PM EDT
Mil-spec tubes call for rolled threads. With rolled threads, the thread is slightly proud of the tube itself.

Commercial tubes use less expensive cut threads. This means the OD of the tube has to be a little larger so the threads can be cut from it and still be compatible with the mil-spec rolled threads. So the commercial tubs have a slightly larger diameter than mil-spec tubes.

I am trying to get the "official" word on what these ODs are. We have some tubes here we can measure but would like to see if there are any published specifications anywhere.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:05:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mr_wilson:

Just the opposite my friend. Mil-spec tubes are slightly smaller diameter. That is why the VLTOR will NOT go on a commerical receiver extension.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:11:40 PM EDT
Just pulled my Colt M4 stock off and tryed it on a Bushie buffer tube and the tube was larger than the Colt stock bodey.
Top Top