Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
Im looking to get a 16" barrrel.  More specificly a CMMG 16" M4 or or a BM 16" Fluted HBAR.  Both look cool IMO.  From my research I'v found a lot of people say the a fluted barrel cools quicker, and is more accurate than a M4 when it heats up.  But it also weights a little more.  I have no experence with these barrels and wnat to know if the extra weight is worth it.  It's going to be mostly a range weapon, but if SHTF this will be the one I'd use.  I'm also a firm beliver that accuracy is as important as firepower.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:14:01 AM EDT
My personal experience is as follows:

BM 14.5" fluted HBAR with perm. attached Phantom FS

RRA 16" M4gery with slim profile under HG.

I specifically held them both to see which was lighter, and they're about the same, just different... :)

What I mean is, the M4 was front heavy, but light weight overall, while the fluted HBAR is evenly weighted along the barrel, and the same weight, or maybe even a tad lighter.

Of course, it's not exactly apples to apples, since my fluted HBAR is 1.5" shorter than the 16" M4 I was comparing it to...  

If I were doing it again (which I am) I would still go with the fluted, or even better, turned and fluted by Kurt's Kustom Firearms for the lightest possible barrel without an A2 profile.

Just my $.02 based on my personal hands on observations at the range, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:30:39 AM EDT
Hello,

According to Kurts chart. The fluted HBAR weights 1.6 oz more than a 16 inch m4 barrel.

That is a very little difference that I believe is worth it for the Fluted barrel.

I am in LOVE with my 16 inch fluted HBAR.

Last week at the range. I loaded up 8 30 rd mags, and set up soda cans, clay targets, and water-filled milk jugs, and proceeded to blast away at them. Aimed fire as fast as I could (1-1.5 rounds per second) for all 8 mags with wolf ammo.

I had no failures at all, and to my suprise the barrel was toasty but hardly hot at all. I could still grab onto it for a couple of seconds. Try doing that with a low profile barrel.

You'll here a lot of praise and an equal amount of criticism about fluted barrels, but my personal experiences is that they are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:21:21 AM EDT
Wow...fast responces.  Thanks for the input.  I was leaning toward the fluted barrel I just needed to hear that I was makeing the right decision form some one else before I spent the money.  It seems almost every one here is M4 happy and i was wondering if i was missing something.  I'm going to order the BM barrel tomarrow.  Thanks again fo rthe input
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:31:16 PM EDT
Gunsmoke ent. has a fluted M-4 so you can have the best of both  they used to be at www.ar15.tv but I dont know if they still are
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
One more thing before you order...

Take a look at the "mid-length" barrels from Rock River Arms.  Just my personal experience, but they just "look" better than the carbine length handguard/gas system.  And everyone makes mid-length stuff now, so even if you want a SIR, FIRSH, or whatever, you can get one.

[img]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/ucara4cm.gif[/img]
(it's the one on the bottom, compared to CAR length on top)

I bought my chrome lined 16" mid-length from Pete in NH, but I don't think he has any more.  ADCO appears to according to their website.  Mine's at KKF now getting turned and fluted.  Fluting alone is $55, the barrel from ADCO would be $200, which is roughly the same price as Bushmaster's.
Top Top