Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/31/2003 9:18:01 AM EDT
Im looking to get a 16" barrrel. More specificly a CMMG 16" M4 or or a BM 16" Fluted HBAR. Both look cool IMO. From my research I'v found a lot of people say the a fluted barrel cools quicker, and is more accurate than a M4 when it heats up. But it also weights a little more. I have no experence with these barrels and wnat to know if the extra weight is worth it. It's going to be mostly a range weapon, but if SHTF this will be the one I'd use. I'm also a firm beliver that accuracy is as important as firepower. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:14:01 AM EDT
My personal experience is as follows: BM 14.5" fluted HBAR with perm. attached Phantom FS RRA 16" M4gery with slim profile under HG. I specifically held them both to see which was lighter, and they're about the same, just different... :) What I mean is, the M4 was front heavy, but light weight overall, while the fluted HBAR is evenly weighted along the barrel, and the same weight, or maybe even a tad lighter. Of course, it's not exactly apples to apples, since my fluted HBAR is 1.5" shorter than the 16" M4 I was comparing it to... If I were doing it again (which I am) I would still go with the fluted, or even better, turned and fluted by Kurt's Kustom Firearms for the lightest possible barrel without an A2 profile. Just my $.02 based on my personal hands on observations at the range, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:30:39 AM EDT
Hello, According to Kurts chart. The fluted HBAR weights 1.6 oz more than a 16 inch m4 barrel. That is a very little difference that I believe is worth it for the Fluted barrel. I am in LOVE with my 16 inch fluted HBAR. Last week at the range. I loaded up 8 30 rd mags, and set up soda cans, clay targets, and water-filled milk jugs, and proceeded to blast away at them. Aimed fire as fast as I could (1-1.5 rounds per second) for all 8 mags with wolf ammo. I had no failures at all, and to my suprise the barrel was toasty but hardly hot at all. I could still grab onto it for a couple of seconds. Try doing that with a low profile barrel. You'll here a lot of praise and an equal amount of criticism about fluted barrels, but my personal experiences is that they are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:21:21 AM EDT
Wow...fast responces. Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the fluted barrel I just needed to hear that I was makeing the right decision form some one else before I spent the money. It seems almost every one here is M4 happy and i was wondering if i was missing something. I'm going to order the BM barrel tomarrow. Thanks again fo rthe input
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 12:31:16 PM EDT
Gunsmoke ent. has a fluted M-4 so you can have the best of both they used to be at www.ar15.tv but I dont know if they still are
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:34:22 AM EDT
One more thing before you order... Take a look at the "mid-length" barrels from Rock River Arms. Just my personal experience, but they just "look" better than the carbine length handguard/gas system. And everyone makes mid-length stuff now, so even if you want a SIR, FIRSH, or whatever, you can get one. [img]http://www.rockriverarms.com/images/ucara4cm.gif[/img] (it's the one on the bottom, compared to CAR length on top) I bought my chrome lined 16" mid-length from Pete in NH, but I don't think he has any more. ADCO appears to according to their website. Mine's at KKF now getting turned and fluted. Fluting alone is $55, the barrel from ADCO would be $200, which is roughly the same price as Bushmaster's.
Top Top