Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2004 6:29:26 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy an M4 type AR and would like to know what the big deal is with the barrel profile.  looks like a heavy barrel with areas filed down for???  attachments?? All we had were M16A1.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wondering, I'm not that anal about it looking just right, or "mil spec".  Seems the 16" heavy barrel in 1/9 twist was pretty good.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The cut out on the M4 is so that it can mount the M203 that was originally designed to clamp to the then barrel on your old M16A1.

As for it being a heavy barrel, that depends on your definition of heavy.  The M4 and M16A2 barrels are heavier than your old A1, but they are actually fairly light compared to the HBAR barrels that so many places sell.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Makes perfect sense, but are the heavy barrels better than an M4 since I cant mount an M203 and are FS available for heavy barrels?   Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Newer M4 barrels are actualy 8 ounces heavier than the standard M4  Barrel.They made them heavier to be more reliable when they get hot,me I love HBARs a pound heavier but its not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
LMT M4 barrel can be found here:

G AND R TACTICAL

click on LMT.... then click on LMT M4

They are currently on back order however.

These barrels are made out of  4150 steel.... which is better than the 4140 steel most manufacturers use. Only Bushmaster and LMT, as far as I know, use 4150 steel in their barrels.

LMT barrels also include M4 feed ramps for reliability, have chrome lined chambers and bores, and have the military standard 1/7 twist rate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the true M4 profile barrels.  I like the weight of them VS. a 16" HBAR.  There are a few Bushmaster M4 barrels for sale on the EE.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Only Bushmaster and LMT, as far as I know, use 4150 steel in their barrels.

There's a certain company in Hartford, CT who also makes them from 4150, although their prices are a bit high...

Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only Bushmaster and LMT, as far as I know, use 4150 steel in their barrels.

There's a certain company in Hartford, CT who also makes them from 4150, although their prices are a bit high...

Yes this is true... but who really wants to buy from that certain company who will remain nameless. In my book... this nameless company does not even exist.... that is why I did not mention them. To hell with that nameless company... PC bastards always bowing down before the Liberal gun lobby.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:55:17 PM EDT
[#9]
HBAR serves no purpose on a non full auto rifle.  The extra weight is a MAJOR pain in the ass one you start accessorizing the rifle.  Id go lightweight or M4 at the heaviest... never go HBAR.  HBAR IMO is for the newbies.  I had a 1/9 HBAR and learned my lesson.  Thats the barrel mass produced for the undeucated and uninitated.  You want a 1/7 military profile barrel.  There is no "new" M4 barrel.  The heavier M4 barrel is a special order variant and wont see widespread use by people in the 101st etc.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:25:25 PM EDT
[#10]
CMMG also makes an M4 4150 1X7 chrome lined barrel
CMMG
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top