Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/26/2004 8:00:55 AM EST
Hi all,

I'm still waiting for my first AR-15 (Bushmaster M4gery) to show up at my dealer, but I'd like to go ahead and order an M4 RAS to go with it. I'm a complete novice when it comes to buying AR-15 parts - can you guys give me some advice on where to order one and what I should expect to pay? The best price I've found so far is $305 - just wondering what you would consider a "good deal." Should I hold out and look for one on the EE?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:20:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 8:32:14 AM EST by USMC03]
Dave,

If you are going to pay retail for a rail system I would highly recommend getting a free floated rail system. They cost about the same (give or take approximately $20, depending on the make) but they are much more rigid (you really notice this when you torque down on the vertical fore grip), they free float the barrel, and often times they are much lighter than a standard RAS.

I would highly recommend the Knights freefloated RAS, the Daniel Defense free floated Rail System, or the LaRue Free Floated Rail system.

I own all 3 listed above and have owned others, but the three listed above are the best of the bunch. In my honest opinion the LaRue rail system has everything on the market beat by a wide margin. The LaRue Rail System is approximately 8 oz., it is the only rail system on the market to have an anti-roll device, and it's much cheaper than the competition $262 with 3 Tango Down rail covers or $247 without the rail covers. I recently purchased (2) of the LaRue rail systems along with the LaRue Aimpoint mounts. Both my primary and secondary SWAT guns are wearing LaRue rail systems.

For all the rail systems listed above you can check:

G and R Tactical

or

MSTN

Good Luck

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:30:11 AM EST
Dave,

I copied this info from another post, you may find some of the info useful (it was geared toward a mid-length rail system, which is not what you are looking for, but I was asked about the differences between the LaRue vs. the Daniel Defense). Outside of the weight and price all other info should be useful:

-The Daniel Defense 9.0 costs around $360 (they don't have it listed on their website, but I believe that is the current price)......A LaRue 12.0 is $299.

-All 4 rails on the LaRue are 1913 spec....only the 12 and 6 o'clock rails on the DD are 1913 spec.

-The LaRue rail system is the only rail system on the market to have an anti-roll device that prevents the barrel or the rail system from every loosening or backing off. (If you grab the area on the Daniel Defense rail at the area of where the delta ring should be, try to turn it clockwise and counter clockwise, you will notice that your DD rail will turn slightly, on the LaRue there is no movement)

-The LaRue rail system starts it life as a solid billit of aircraft aluminum

-The finish on the LaRue is nicer and more even

-The LaRue is within just over an ounce of the Daniel Defense rail (comparing 7.0 versions)

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing or bad mouthing the Daniel Defense rail system. I have two of them and thing they are an awesome product, but all things considered I prefer the LaRue rail system when all things are considered (ie. price, features, weight, etc)....That is just my person experience, you can't go wrong purchasing either product.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:05:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By USMC03:
If you are going to pay retail for a rail system I would highly recommend getting a free floated rail system. They cost about the same (give or take approximately $20, depending on the make) but they are much more rigid (you really notice this when you torque down on the vertical fore grip), they free float the barrel, and often times they are much lighter than a standard RAS.

I would highly recommend the Knights freefloated RAS, the Daniel Defense free floated Rail System, or the LaRue Free Floated Rail system.

Jeff - Thanks a lot for the detailed response. I'll definitely look into the free-floating RAS, but my initial motivation to buy the standard one is that I'm hoping to trade in my M16 for an M4 before my Army unit deploys next year, and I wanted to get some experience with what I may be carrying. I guess I might be able to take my own rail system with me, but I'm not sure how receptive our armorer will be to me making modifications to the weapon.

Thanks again - I'll definitely check out both systems.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:28:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/26/2004 2:30:14 PM EST by SNIPERm88]
Have you considered the Troy industries? If anyone has any personal expirence/opinion about the Troy I would be interested. Its FF, mil-spec and continous rail for a resonable price.
Troy Ind
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:21:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 1:02:59 AM EST by RH33]
Always look on the EE and check with the Dealers here first. A new or like new M4 RAS will run $235-$300 on the EE. The $300 ones will normally come with a KAC grip and extra panels. I got a NIB SAS M4 RAS for $250 on the EE. The KAC RAS systems get over looked some times because of all of the newer systems currently available. Yes, they have some advantages, FF, a few ounces lighter, better mounting (A LOT OF INFO tacked at the top of this forum!), but I still like the KAC RAS/RAS II series. The M4 RAS is still a VERY good system! It’s rugged, simple to install by the end user and doesn’t require any permanent modifications to the weapon. I have, and still do use the KAC RAS system on my personal AR’s as well as my entry weapon for SWAT.

Ray
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:35:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:04:19 AM EST
Guys - Thanks a lot for all the input. I think I'm going to stay away from a free-floating system this time around, as this is my first AR, and I don't want to tackle making modifications to the weapon quite yet. I just want to get it to the range and spend a lot of time getting comfortable with the system I'll be using in the Army. I don't have a lot of experience with the M4 - our unit is still mostly M16s, being a heavy Cav organization.

I'll definitely take a good look at the LaRue system and consider it for my second AR

Looks like I need to keep price-shopping for the KAC system - sounds like I can get some better deals than I've seen if I'm patient.

Scouts Out!

Dave
Top Top