Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2006 9:14:04 PM EDT
Alright - I have searched and searched and I am back where I started with a project that needs a forend system.

My goal is an M4A1 SOPMOD carbine forgery (BRII page 1).  I have a new 14.5 in SOCOM barrel I picked up and I am trying to find the Knigts RIS with the panels (the ones that have the metal clip at one end).  I've been messing with AR's fo about 15 years now but these forend options are unbelievable.

The RIS or RAS is what I think I want anyway unless one of you gurus can square me away with something as an alternative but provides the same simple SOPMOD M4 look.

I want 2 piece, rigid type connection, does not have to be FF and I want the rail panels I mentioned above. I have been watching the EE quite regularly and have not caught any of the RIS or RAS units so I guess I need some alternatives.  

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I purchased a RIS from MSTN. Here is my M4A1 SOPMOD carbine forgery build. It is a work in progress. I still have to replace the Hogue rubber grip with a standard grip and I have to replace the star selector with a standard selector.

My rifle started out as a Rock River Entry Tactical. The RAS would not fit because the barrel is too thick behind the front sight post. The RIS will fit any rifle that uses standard carbine hand guards.

The bi-pod isn't real practical but I had to put it on there for the hell of it. During normal use, I would move the grip further forward and add additional rail covers.

You can't go wrong buying from MSTN. Wes had it on my doorstep in 2 days.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks Stick - cant find any posts

SgtSauer - thats what I'm putting together right there the ever popular "M4A1 SOPMOD carbine forgery"

You mention the RAS not working - hmmm.  I'm using a Colt SOCOM on this project.  I wonder if I'll have the same problem.  This RIS and RAS thing is throwing me a bit.  I really don't have to have Knights but I don't know who else makes these type units.  I suppose I coulds also go with the a FF RAS and have a similar look and the benefits of a FF?  

SC
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I found something

Is the GG&G Modular Tactical Forearm basically what i am looking for?

Does anybody know if this is fairly rigid?  To me it looks like it just attaches like a standard set of handguards?

Thanks

SC
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:03:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I purchased a RIS from MSTN. Here is my M4A1 SOPMOD carbine forgery build. It is a work in progress. I still have to replace the Hogue rubber grip with a standard grip and I have to replace the star selector with a standard selector.

My rifle started out as a Rock River Entry Tactical. The RAS would not fit because the barrel is too thick behind the front sight post. The RIS will fit any rifle that uses standard carbine hand guards.

photos.kitmaker.net/data/13423/medium/RRA_1.JPG

photos.kitmaker.net/data/13423/medium/RRA_3.JPG

The bi-pod isn't real practical but I had to put it on there for the hell of it. During normal use, I would move the grip further forward and add additional rail covers.

You can't go wrong buying from MSTN. Wes had it on my doorstep in 2 days.  

Awesome looking rifle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does anybody know if this is fairly rigid?  To me it looks like it just attaches like a standard set of handguards?

Thanks

SC

Midwest Industries, YHM and Samson all make what you are looking for.

I'd get the MI.

MI Website

Bravo Company has MI and YHM

Pic of MI 2 piece NON free float
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks

SC

MI 2-piece non-FF rail looks similar to KAC and is only $130, if you are looking for a substitute

edit: yeah what comp1911 saild
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

SC

MI 2-piece non-FF rail looks similar to KAC and is only $130, if you are looking for a substitute

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought my brand new KAC M4 RAS for my Gov't profile M4 barrel from the EE at a good price, if you are patient and wait for a good price the EE is hard to beat.

The KAC website is stating that the M4 RAS P/N 98064 will fit M4 type barrels up to 0.840" diameter.

If you're buying it from a KAC dealer make sure that you could exchange it if it doesn't fit before you buy it.

The KAC FF RAS would be no problem because it only mounts on the FF type barrel nut except you have to remove your barrel to install it.

If you're not willing to wait any longer to buy it Operation Parts also sells a lot of KAC products, take a look at them in the Industry section.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

SC

Really appreciate all the advice.  AR3, thank you as well Sir.  AR owner since 1971!  That is fantastic.....

ON the MI 2-Piece non FF> does that have a rigid type mounting system like the GG&G says it does?  Or does it simply "snap" in like a standard set of handguards?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:01:34 PM EDT
[#12]
It snaps in like normal handguards, but the two pieces also lock together to each other. There are grooves that each other lock into. It will be much more stable than just regular handguards.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#13]
RAS will work

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I think the MI is a little thicker than the KAC is. I tend to lean toward the Surefire rail. It is cheap and I think looks close to the KAC.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top