Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2004 5:33:32 PM EDT
I am real close to selecting all my parts for my carbine project. Reading several posts I am convinced that both profiles should produce equal accuracy. The M4 profile will have a lighter weight advantage for toting it around and the HBar I think will take longer to really get hot during rapid fire and provide some additional stability ( from it's greater mass) which may contributte to enhanced accuracy.

As much as I like to daydream about being on foot treking through challenging terrain days on end with my carbine slung over my shoulder, at the end of the day I am just a married guy with a baby and a job selling tile! So the M4's lighter weight does not necessarily steel the show for me. It may however give the rifle better balance. Frankly I am clueless. I do intend to FF this carbine with an M5 KAC RAS eventually.

Folks, I need help. I've been hanging around here long enough to expect someone to say ," As we say around here get both!" At this time, that's not an option.

I guess to some it all up, does anyone think the HBar would be better than the M4?

Thanks,

Gunz

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I guess to some it all up, does anyone think the HBar would be better than the M4?

Thanks,

Gunz

Nope, the hbar carbine.....is just.....HEAVY.  Go with the M4gery, you'll be pleased with it's profile and I'd go with a chrome lined also.  Just my .02.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking to build an M4 Dissipator myself, but Bushmaster is out of stock of  the barrels.
Do you have access to the barrels?

I am choosing the M4 Dissy over the HBAR strictly for weight reasons.
Really, it's up to what you want. The HBAR Dissy is still lighter than a 20" HBAR
(which is what I like best anyway)
The HBAR should take a bit longer to heat up too, but I think the whole
heat issue only comes into play with FA or constant rapid fire.

I was going to put a KAC M5 FF RAS on mine too instead of the #59 SIR because I just like
the round look of the KAC over the funky look of the SIR.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
M4 dissy!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd hate to hijack my own thread but no I do not have access to the BM's barrels. Did BM tell you what the lead time would be on a new batch of M4 Dissy's
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You can also consider using a fluted HBAR for your dissipator project.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'd hate to hijack my own thread but no I do not have access to the BM's barrels. Did BM tell you what the lead time would be on a new batch of M4 Dissy's

Was originally told 2 weeks, then 2 weeks later that it could be a month or more.
I was told this was due to the fact they only do runs of the dissy bbls when they have
enough orders/demand, then they do a run plus some extras to put in stock.

So....that could mean a long time.

I was hoping you had access to one of each and were just deciding.
If you went with the HBAR, I would ask to buy the M4.

That was my logic with that question.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Gov. profile Midlength.
Don't get an HBAR for a project rifle unless you are building a target rifle.
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Gov. profile Midlength.
Don't get an HBAR for a project rifle unless you are building a target rifle.

Are you meaning use the midlength with a lowprofile gas block to build my Dissipator?
Jason at JTAC suggested that too......I may just have to do that.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't matter which one you get, 'cos in about 3 months, you'll get the other one anyway
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Was originally told 2 weeks, then 2 weeks later that it could be a month or more.
I was told this was due to the fact they only do runs of the dissy bbls when they have

I went thru the same thing with my build-up.  I went the M4 Dissy route strictly for the weight savings.  They also told me two weeks, then another two weeks, then a month, then another month.  I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was more than six months.  Maybe 8 - 10 months.  I put the barrel on an A1 upper with A1 furniture.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:09:54 AM EDT
[#11]
If possible, try to shoot both and see what you like best.  The rifles don't need to by Dissy's, just an HBAR vs. a light barrel.  

I have both and, while I like the weight of the M4, I like how the HBAR shoots.  It all depends on how you shoot.  I shoot 3 gun matches, so when I practice I shoot a lot of rounds quickly.  For that type of shooting, I actually like the HBAR better.  YMMV - many people prefer the lighter barrel.

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]
If you go with the Dissy and can't find a barrel just do what I did.
Buy A '20 cut it down to 16' and enlarge the gas port.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:42:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Don they make a HBAR Dissipator Barrel?    I want a HBAR with full length HG for my Launcher but I like the 16" barrel?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:54:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:28:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I went thru the same thing with my build-up.  I went the M4 Dissy route strictly for the weight savings.  They also told me two weeks, then another two weeks, then a month, then another month.  I don't remember exactly how long it took, but it was more than six months.  Maybe 8 - 10 months.  I put the barrel on an A1 upper with A1 furniture.

8-10 months!!!! Damn....I hope it's not that bad.
I guess I'm going to have to "make my own" dissy bbl.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don they make a HBAR Dissipator Barrel?    I want a HBAR with full length HG for my Launcher but I like the 16" barrel?

Bushmaster's website is down right now but they build both an M4 Dizzy and the HBAR Dizzy.  HBAR Dizzy barrel is #A BBL 16DA for the preban version and #P BBL 16DA for the postie version...
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:13:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I just went down this road about a month ago.  I got the M4 dissy, I did wait 3.5 weeks to get it.  It always sucks to wait on new toys, especially when they are ones you really, really want hat
I agonized over hbar vs M4 just like you, I went with the M4 becasue I already have an hbars so if I really need to blast until I get worried about barrel heat I can just grab one of them.  The Mrs. can handle the M4 alot better because of the weight reduction and the balance so that also had a bearing on the decision.  

Anyway I think it was worth the wait.  I also think that because of pending litigation between Colt and Bushmaster that a judge may temporarily slap an injuction.  Regardless of who you think might win or lose (don't have a horse in that race cause I have both Colts and Bushmasters and love em both) a judge could render your wait even longer if you don't order now.

Either way enjoy!!

(ps eahle firearms in CO did have dissy hbars in stock when I emailed them a month ago)
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So....that could mean a long time. hopingIf you went with the HBAR, I would ask to buy the M4. hat
~ s0ulzer0

try them again, like I said I just got mine last week [editted to get outside the quote]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I do intend to FF this carbine with an M5 KAC RAS eventually.

don't mean to pee in your cheerios, but the M5 Ras is NOT free floating.  it is similar to regular handguards.   you will need to get the FREE FLOATING ras to actually free float the barrel and have nothing touching from the barrel nut on.

have a good one.

Stainless
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#20]
No worries stainless! I'm still waiting on the barrel from Bushmaster. I just ordered it this morning. I opted for the M4 and their unfortunate leadtime.

Alot of good folks here were able to let me know I was referring to the wrong part from Knights for free floating. I guess it is just referred to as the full length FF RAS. I guess it does not have a cool designation like M5FF!

The cheerios reference brought a good laugh

Peace,

Gunzer
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top