Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:14:31 PM EDT
I have a friend whos in the Border Patrol in Arizona and knows I love AR's hes asked me to get him a forend rail set up, front grip, ACOG and light set up.  With the dang A2 still having a carry handle I'm not dure which forend or model ACOG to get him.  Any thoughts?  On the light I'm going with a Surefire unit.  I have 2 differnt ACOGs myself but I'm not sure which would be good for that application.  Hell they dont even issue them more than 4 magazines, so I'm getting him more of those also so he will have a total of 12.  He was telling me they have regular incursions from the Mexican Army protecting drug dealers and coyotees so I feel the more I can help him the better.  Hell he was telling me that there orders are to blend in, dissapear use shadows and concealment to hide live and reprot whats going on.
Thanks for the help!
Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone????
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get him a Midwest Industries 2 piece rail system, a TangoDown vertical grip, a compact ACOG, and a Surefire weapons light of some type.  There are lots of options, but these are what I would go with.    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#3]
He's in Arizona, not Afghanistan. Why can't he get what he wants himself?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#4]
With the A2 upper I'm wondering if an Aimpoint or Holosite would be a better choice for him.  Also, it seems to me that an ACOG would be overkill on a 14.5" barrel.  It would be more appropriate on a 18 or 20 inch barrel.  I guess that's a matter of personal preferance though.

-K
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He's in Arizona, not Afghanistan. Why can't he get what he wants himself?

Perhaps he's doing his duty for an extended stretch, and needs assisance of a friend?

Get a grip, please, and help? And let go of your Mojo: it's falling.

ACOG on top of a grip is a bit much. A forward mount CCO (M68) or one of the passive (no battery) devices might be better, especially if he's on an OP somewhere. I'm not a real AR expert (ask me about the FAL), but a flattop is obviously an easier mount for one of the CQB sights AND for a ACOG. See what kind of mounts Trijicon recommends for the ACOG?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The reason I'm helping him as I can, I can afford to, as where being a civil servant hes not making a ton of money. This kid was a life long friend of mine as he grew up with my oldest son so hes like another kid.  So what your thinking is something up on the rail?  He wants a scope but I see your point.  I have flatops but I remember how high the scope was when mounted up on a carry handle.
Whats a CCO/M68  I have a Reflex 2 but have never been really impressed with it, even with the shade its hard to see the reticle.  How about a Aimpoint mounted up front with a 3x nah that wont work not enough room.
Shit what a pain
Mike
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I would get him a Midwest Industries 2 piece rail system, a TangoDown vertical grip, a compact ACOG, and a Surefire weapons light of some type.  There are lots of options, but these are what I would go with.    

Not bad choices.  I think I'd prefer a Troy or Sampson FF rail instead of the MI - but the MI certainly would be less expensive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The reason I'm helping him as I can, I can afford to, as where being a civil servant hes not making a ton of money. This kid was a life long friend of mine as he grew up with my oldest son so hes like another kid.  

I gotcha now. Damn nice of ya.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I can understand his desire to identify and use a scope.  I swap out between my 4x ACOG and EOTech on my M4 all the time (and PVS-17 2x night red dot).  That's a personal preference.  With a ACOG on top of the fixed carrying handle he'll have his cheek off the stock and in not the best position.  However, any of the ACOGs that has BAC in 5.56 should work for him depending on what field of view, magnification and price range he is will to work with.  I've had experience with Knights RIS/RAS, ARMS #50SC rail, and one other SAMCO which I didn't like for it was cheap and didn't hold up.  The other two I can recommend.  For lights have only used various Surefires which I highly recomend.

CD
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]
There have been pics posted before of compact ACOGs mounted on the carry handle and while they are a little higher, user feedback says it isn't a problem.  I'd have to go to the website to check for eye relief, but I'd recommend the 3x with either the triangle or crosshair reticle.  Zero it for 250m and he is good to go for all practical ranges.  At close range, I actually find the regular iron sights to be very fast.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#11]
How well does an Aimpoint mounted on and A2 reciever work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How well does an Aimpoint mounted on and A2 reciever work?

With a gooseneck moutn (like the ARMS#39) it works well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top