AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 905
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARguy81:
Been keeping an eye out for the 14.5 SOCOM barrels and haven't seen any reasonably priced lately.  They are going for over $1000 on GB, is that normal?
View Quote

Get on a waiting list with any or all of the major supply houses. There is no way in hell that I would pay a grand for a SOCOM barrel.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Would a Troy rail be acceptable? Meaning did they use them at all?
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Been keeping an eye out for the 14.5 SOCOM barrels and haven't seen any reasonably priced lately.  They are going for over $1000 on GB, is that normal?
View Quote

I posted one on the EE with Colt 14.5 SOCOM block 2 in the description recently. It sat for a few days with zero interest and I took it down and decided to keep it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That barrel looks like a 16".
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rsatch:

I posted one on the EE with Colt 14.5 SOCOM block 2 in the description recently. It sat for a few days with zero interest and I took it down and decided to keep it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rsatch:

You should sell it on GB.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
View All Quotes

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 1:28:48 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Probably from the sniper comp.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HD2006:
https://i.imgur.com/sdRxMJI.jpg
View Quote

Sexy
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Hot lineup. Which is your favorite?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Honda4828:

View All Quotes

URGI is getting the most use right now.  Mainly because I want to get used to shooting with an LPVO.  

However the non FSP with Elcan will forever be my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

awesome builds... love 'em!

Link Posted: 1/18/2022 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Would be cool if the other socom units adopt the RIS III. I wouldn't be surprised if we see individual purchases though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Would be cool if the other socom units adopt the RIS III. I wouldn't be surprised if we see individual purchases though.
View Quote

Agreed.
Press info shows similar rail sizes aswell, I'm more interested in the weight differences between the two. I'd happily chop up a spare Cqbr upper to try one out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got my stripped m4a1 upper from brownells - unfortunately the upper reciever is marked Daniel Defense (I was hoping they were still shipping the blank uppers but no dice).

Possibly stupid question:  If I go ahead and get this setup Pin/weld with a 4 prong - will I be able to switch out the upper for one that is unmarked at a later time or do I need to do that before I pin/weld?

Worried that I will not be able to uninstall/re-install rail system around a welded 4 prong...
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HAMBURGERATTACK:
I just got my stripped m4a1 upper from brownells - unfortunately the upper reciever is marked Daniel Defense (I was hoping they were still shipping the blank uppers but no dice).

Possibly stupid question:  If I go ahead and get this setup Pin/weld with a 4 prong - will I be able to switch out the upper for one that is unmarked at a later time or do I need to do that before I pin/weld?

Worried that I will not be able to uninstall/re-install rail system around a welded 4 prong...
View Quote

You can but I would switch out the upper first.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I was pretty bummed about that as well when I received mine.  I haven’t done a pin/weld yet because I’ve been contemplating what to do now.  Do I spend more money and look for a colt upper, or just use it as is and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
If you even think you might want to change it out then now is a good time. Colt parts can be feast or famine and right now there seems to be plenty of uppers out there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:

View All Quotes

It’s really easy to swap the receiver on a non FSP.  It really wouldn’t make a difference if the flash hider is installed or not.  

Now an FSP upper, that’s a different story.  Still possible with a pin/weld flash hider but a much bigger pain.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

So its doable but a big pain?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
If you even think you might want to change it out then now is a good time. Colt parts can be feast or famine and right now there seems to be plenty of uppers out there.
View Quote

If I can change it later its not a big deal - I just wanted to make sure it was possible before I sent stuff off to adco (they are still the go-to right?).
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#23]

It’s really easy to swap the receiver on a non FSP.  It really wouldn’t make a difference if the flash hider is installed or not.  

Now an FSP upper, that’s a different story.  Still possible with a pin/weld flash hider but a much bigger pain.  
View Quote

Please explain how it's "really easy" when you have muzzle device pinned.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By RichieRich562:

I was pretty bummed about that as well when I received mine.  I haven’t done a pin/weld yet because I’ve been contemplating what to do now.  Do I spend more money and look for a colt upper, or just use it as is and be done with it.
View Quote

Big Tex has cage code stripped uppers in stock, if you're looking for one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:45:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HD2006] [#25]

View All Quotes

This is strictly for non FSP RIS II’s.  

Unbolt and remove rail from bolt up plate, remove gas tube.  Loosen barrel nut and slide off receiver and down the barrel.  Remove barrel and bolt up plate, bolt up plate is between the receiver and barrel nut.  Reverse process to reinstall on new receiver.  

For a receiver swap I wouldn’t remove the muzzle device even if it wasn’t pinned/welded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Unbolt and remove rail from bolt up plate, remove gas tube.  Loosen barrel nut and slide off receiver and down the barrel.  Remove barrel and bolt up plate, bolt up plate is between the receiver and barrel nut.  Reverse process to reinstall on new receiver.  

For a receiver swap I wouldn’t remove the muzzle device even if it wasn’t pinned/welded.
View Quote

What about the M203 hangers that don't fit over the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Fair point, I don’t have those installed.  I suppose my point is moot if the M203 hangers are still installed.  Is it possible to remove them with the rail installed?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Fair point, I don’t have those installed.  I suppose my point is moot if the M203 hangers are still installed.  Is it possible to remove them with the rail installed?
View Quote

I think I may have done it once with a cut down Allen key but I don't remember if it was possible or not. Definitely more room with an NT4 vs a 4 prong if you are going to try it.

You can slide the rail forward a couple of inches at least and kind of access the barrel nut with the rail dangling off the barrel at least.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:11:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bman2k] [#29]
Do you guys recommend pinning the gas block? Would a BCM low profile gas block also fit under the RIS II rail if I can’t find the  Daniel Defense MK12?
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 8:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#30]

If I can change it later its not a big deal - I just wanted to make sure it was possible before I sent stuff off to adco (they are still the go-to right?).
View Quote
Yes it's possible and it's not to big of a pain.

Your gas block and barrel nut will be permanently with the barrel (until you get the flash hider unpinned) but everything else is removable. You can still slide a non fsp rail off relatively easily and I have done it. Like mentioned before you will have to remove the 203 hangers. I did mine with a full size Allen key and all it took was some maneuvering of the rail and barrel and some
patience.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

I just did a upper swap last week on non front sight post, that still had the hangers installed. It is a SBR so it’s not pinned and welded, but I never removed the flash hider, or the gas block, I did have to remove the lower rail panel, but that was it. Quick, well is quick as it can be to swap uppers.on a side note I didn’t even remove the gas tube as it doesn’t interfere with the barrel nut anyway. I think the FSP would be the same as other than having to remove the front sight to slide it forward, it’s been so long since I did one of those so from memory I think it’s doable as well, you can’t reinstall the front sight until the rail is in place anyway? Like I said I may be wrong as it’s been a couple of years since I did one of those.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Those actually come off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2022 10:34:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Those actually come off.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wissota4:

Those actually come off.

I left mine on as I continue to kick around the idea of getting a M203 then if the mounts are still on it I do remove them, (I did on another) and couldn’t find them anywhere so I figured they ended up getting tossed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

Get on a waiting list with any or all of the major supply houses. There is no way in hell that I would pay a grand for a SOCOM barrel.
View All Quotes

Just got a email in stock at G&R
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Herk-Healer:

View All Quotes

Appreciate the look bro. Just got a stripped socom

@ARguy81
@Herk-Healer
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARguy81] [#36]

@ARguy81
@Herk-Healer
View All Quotes

@ARguy81
@Herk-Healer

Heck Yeah!

Now, are these barrels .625 or .750? I have a spare A frame FSB and will use that if it fits.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:15:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#37]

Heck Yeah!

Now, are these barrels .625 or .750? I have a spare A frame FSB and will use that if it fits.
View All Quotes

@ARguy81
@Herk-Healer

Heck Yeah!

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Socoms and true government profiles should all be .750 gbj.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#38]

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but Socoms and true government profiles should all be .750 gbj.
View Quote

That’s correct.

Brownells has Colt Socom fsb barrels in stock.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:45:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#39]
Originally Posted By FONTY:

That’s correct.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FONTY:

That’s correct.

Ayup. As an FYI For anyone looking G&r has the fsb socom for $315 and Brownells has it for $350.  G&R didn’t charge tax either.

The stripped socom is OOS now at g&r.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Ayup. As an FYI For anyone looking G&r has the fsb socom for $315 and Brownells has it for $350.  G&R didn’t charge tax either.

The stripped socom is OOS now at g&r.
View Quote

That’s a good price from G&R, they also have stripped Colt 10.3 for $230. I missed the stripped Socom barrels
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#41]
any one have set of these rail covers they are willing to part with? The three piece set one not the ladder panel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/20/2022 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#42]
any one have set of these rail covers they are willing to part with? The three piece set one not the ladder panel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/A9CAECA6-98C4-4252-BF4E-5F529DD2F963_jpe-2247568.JPG
View Quote

No but I want that rail!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 4:31:47 PM EDT
[#43]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/A9CAECA6-98C4-4252-BF4E-5F529DD2F963_jpe-2247568.JPG
View Quote

I might I'll look when I get home
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#44]
So I got one of those big Tex uppers to fix this DD marked Bullshit from Brownells...

Now I am hunting for a lower.

Is something like this from TNT going to give me close enough markings or do I have to go to CCC route?
Any better-priced options avail I am missing?

https://www.tntgear.com/catalog/product-detail.php?ID=4263

https://charliescustomclones.com/colt-carbine-lower-receiver-complete-2020-2021-production/
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#45]
So I got one of those big Tex uppers to fix this DD marked Bullshit from Brownells...

Is something like this from TNT going to give me close enough markings or do I have to go to CCC route?

https://charliescustomclones.com/colt-carbine-lower-receiver-complete-2020-2021-production/
View Quote
Ccc sucks. Avoid at all costs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Ccc sucks. Avoid at all costs.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#47]

View Quote

Lots of guys have used Palmetto State Armory's "M4A1" marked stripped lower.

They look really nice on a clone build.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HAMBURGERATTACK] [#48]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

View Quote

Do these come in stock often?  

I would take this or the areo precision m4a1 clone lower in a heartbeat...
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 9:46:04 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

Looks like they're out of stock at the moment, but yes - it's usually not long before they're in stock again.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 10:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mdewey12] [#50]
I have quite a big pile of those DD rail covers if you or anyone else is interested. Also does anyone know if the EXPS3-2s were issued/purchased or just the EXPS3-0s. Thanks
Page / 905
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top