Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 905
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:35:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#2]
Originally Posted By DocBach:
Dude, NT4 hider permanently attached! Operations Parts has a couple in stock still!!

This?

http://www.operationparts.com/Kac_Knights_Armament_Qd_Flash_Hider_Suppressor_p/93048.htm

If so, then FU stop making me spend money

ETA it's also not long enough to make 16" and I don't have a stamp for this rifle
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It IS long enough if you send it to Marvin Pitts or Adco, they make a spacer to bring it to 16.1
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
It IS long enough if you send it to Marvin Pitts or Adco, they make a spacer to bring it to 16.1

Stop using reason and facts to make me buy it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
Originally Posted By M4A1:
Originally Posted By Mattyvac:
Originally Posted By Croft32:

Wrong rail color, Wrong stock, wrong grip, wrong fh, wrong buis, wrong trigger guard

Dare to be different!  

Nothin wrong with that, but we are discussing clones. That's simply an M4

You are correct.  These threads tend to fade far from the clone in discussion.

You gents realize that there can't be an accurate "clone" because operators have some discretion as to what they can put on their guns making for a lot of variances. A certain unit may not even issue what's been accepted as standard for the program outside of the rail.

+1
Thats how I see it as well
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FMJ:

Wrong rail color, Wrong stock, wrong grip, wrong fh, wrong buis, wrong trigger guard

Dare to be different!  

You gents realize that there can't be an accurate "clone" because operators have some discretion as to what they can put on their guns making for a lot of variances. A certain unit may not even issue what's been accepted as standard for the program outside of the rail.

+1

There is plenty of discretion, but ideally for this thread it should have an M4 profile barrel, a collapsible stock, mil-spec receivers (no billet stuff), and an M4A1 RIS II in the correct FDE color.  There can always be leeway, but I think those criteria should be met for this thread.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:52:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Will816:

Dare to be different!  

+1

There is plenty of discretion, but ideally for this thread it should have an M4 profile barrel, a collapsible stock, mil-spec receivers (no billet stuff), and an M4A1 RIS II in the correct FDE color.  There can always be leeway, but I think those criteria should be met for this thread.

Awww come on, Daniel Defense calls the black rail the M4A1 rail, too!
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 1:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Is this a pic thread or discussion?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 2:17:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Will816] [#10]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
Is this a pic thread or discussion?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

You're right, pics!

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 2:36:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Dare to be different!  

+1
So, if we have one that is "close" we should not post pictures of it unless they all have the specific parts quoted in this discussion? If so, maybe someone can just find all of the pictures from the internet of "real" weapons and we can all look at those.

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 2:52:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FloridaCreekIndian:

Dare to be different!  

+1
So, if we have one that is "close" we should not post pictures of it unless they all have the specific parts quoted in this discussion? If so, maybe someone can just find all of the pictures from the internet of "real" weapons and we can all look at those.

Dude, the whole point of these "clone" picture threads is to try to get as close to "as issued" as possible.  Nothing wrong with having an "inspired by" M(whatever), but it doesn't belong in THIS thread (or any of the other clone threads).  Post pics of it in the other more generic threads.  It's just a matter of which thread you post it in, not that you can't post a pic of it because it's not a perfect clone.  Within each issue type of weapon there are always some variations, and these are appropriate to post here, but please try to keep with the spirit of the thread.  I'm not going to post a pic of my 16" M4-profile barreled AR here that has a KAC RAS on it.  It just doesn't belong here.  It goes in the other more generic M4 pic thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DocBach] [#13]

Actually, I tried to find pictures of the real ones, and if you could find more and post them it would be great so we have good models to base our clones off of.

I'm fine with people posting "close enough" builds as long as they have the basic components that an issue Block II M4 would have; nothing an armorer would need to do to modify it, so no UBR stocks, no Lite rails in substitute of the RIS II. Things like a drop in CTR stock, well I've seen pictures of team members doing easy mods like that. Not an issue vertical foregrip? So what? Anybody in the military can switch their VFG out for a personal bought one, but things that require a tool bench and an armorer kit aren't the kind of deviations I'd say we should allow in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Actually, I tried to find pictures of the real ones, and if you could find more and post them it would be great so we have good models to base our clones off of.

I'm fine with people posting "close enough" builds as long as they have the basic components that an issue Block II M4 would have; nothing an armorer would need to do to modify it, so no UBR stocks, no Lite rails in substitute of the RIS II. Things like a drop in CTR stock, well I've seen pictures of team members doing easy mods like that. Not an issue vertical foregrip? So what? Anybody in the military can switch their VFG out for a personal bought one, but things that require a tool bench and an armorer kit aren't the kind of deviations I'd say we should allow in this thread.

+1
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
edited the opening post of the thread with information on what makes a block II a block II and reference pics
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#16]
More for you OP

Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#17]
KAC front sight came in today, still waiting on a ton of shit to be delivered this week
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#18]
KAC front sight came in today, still waiting on a ton of shit to be delivered this week

Like your new flash hider?
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#19]

No I really couldn't justify something that is no better than an A2 for 90$
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Touche, plus the cost to have it permanently added onto the rifle isn't cheap, either. What are you going to top the barrel off with? Extended A2?
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 8:23:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#21]

I have an "as new" one that I will sell for $70.00 shipped.  PM me if interested.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

I have an "as new" one that I will sell for $70.00 shipped.  PM me if interested.

Cheers

Boy do I wish. Thanks for the offer but its still allot. if you are really trying to get rid of it and want to go lower let me know.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Not in to building "clone" guns but the one Daniel Defense built for me a few years ago turned out pretty close coincidentally.

Specs:
-Custom DD build. 14.5" permanently attached w/ AAC blackout and DD pinned gas block
- DD RIS II
-AAC M4-2000
-Trijicon TA31 ECOS
-Troy BUIS
-Magpul furniture

Link Posted: 7/12/2011 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 12:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: the-answer-is-42] [#25]
Parts get delivered today. Upper gets dropped off at ballitic advantage for custom assembly tomorrow at 4:00.

5-10 day turnaround though
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
OP and other clone thread enthusiasts, IM me if someone is posting guns too far outside of what you have in mind for this thread. I can delete and edit things out. Clone threads, and yes, even clone pic threads tend to have a good bit of discussion about what goes into building one.

To everyone who has been asking me about the finish on my rifle, I received all the parts and pieces in the colors you see. Sadly, I don't believe Bravo ever sold those IonBonded brown receivers. I am pretty sure Spikes does not sell their color anodized receivers separately. I *think* that if you order a full gun from them they will use the color anodized receivers. I think. I came across both of those by chance and over almost a two year period.

Having said that, IonBond is a company who will refinish things. I think their middle man resource is Springer Precision. You can always ask there. Oh, and thanks for the many kind words about the gun. I like it a lot myself.

Id start with all the non-pic posts.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone know what gas block the military is using with this new M4A1 RIS?  Are they shaving down the FSB that was already on the M4s?
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 8:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amuroray] [#28]
CRANE MK18 gas block.

same as CRANE MK12's
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread is gonna cost me some money at some point, mark my words.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
This thread is gonna cost me some money at some point, mark my words.

Costing me money as we speak :/
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#31]
any interest in pics of Block I/I.5 M-4's? Is there another photo thread for them to go in???
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 10:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By nf9648:
Originally Posted By new-arguy:
OP and other clone thread enthusiasts, IM me if someone is posting guns too far outside of what you have in mind for this thread. I can delete and edit things out. Clone threads, and yes, even clone pic threads tend to have a good bit of discussion about what goes into building one.

To everyone who has been asking me about the finish on my rifle, I received all the parts and pieces in the colors you see. Sadly, I don't believe Bravo ever sold those IonBonded brown receivers. I am pretty sure Spikes does not sell their color anodized receivers separately. I *think* that if you order a full gun from them they will use the color anodized receivers. I think. I came across both of those by chance and over almost a two year period.

Having said that, IonBond is a company who will refinish things. I think their middle man resource is Springer Precision. You can always ask there. Oh, and thanks for the many kind words about the gun. I like it a lot myself.

Id start with all the non-pic posts.

I don't mind the talk about the guns, what is being used, etc. The MK18 and MK12 clone threads aren't labeled "photo threads" They are "photo and discussion " threads. Which I think this one will follow.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By rbhoover:
any interest in pics of Block I/I.5 M-4's? Is there another photo thread for them to go in???

I'd say as long as they've got Block II components on them it'd count as an "Early Block II" clone as described on the 1st post of the thread.
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Mine but with some different accessories that I wanted in my build.

DD RIS II 12", 16" BCM middy, Noveske N4, BCM BCG, BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, Spikes's tactical ST-12, Noveske End plate, DD LPK, BAD ASS safety, Troy ambi mag release, Bad Lever, AimPoint M4s W/ Bobro Mount, BC 2.0,  Troy BUIS W/ Tritium,  ETC
Link Posted: 7/13/2011 11:46:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By jockdeeznutz:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2161/imag0069c.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4880/imag0070ix.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1282/imag0077ml.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9156/imag0075qw.jpg
DD RIS II 12", 16" BCM middy, Noveske N4, BCM BCG, BCM Gunfighter Mod 4, Spikes's tactical ST-12, Noveske End plate, DD LPK, BAD ASS safety, Troy ambi mag release, Bad Lever, AimPoint M4s W/ Bobro Mount, BC 2.0,  Troy BUIS W/ Tritium,  ETC

How are you enjoying the battlecomp?

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:17:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Took a picture of this in Iraq recently, thought it might be enjoyed by viewers of this thread, I do not have a picture of the other side and I do not know who made the lower... appears to be a early Block II
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:25:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By rbhoover:
Took a picture of this in Iraq recently, thought it might be enjoyed by viewers of this thread, I do not have a picture of the other side and I do not know who made the lower... appears to be a early Block II
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2038/img2416b.jpg

very cool love seeing guns from the sandbox, howd u like the grippod? is that part of the sopmod?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Not my weapon, it belonged to one of my passengers and I asked him if I could take a picture! We have grippods for our weapons however I do not use one, I find them to be too long and cumbersome, I prefer the smaller KAC grip on the RIS. I believe the grippod is a standard issue item, Army wide, now... we had no trouble getting them at MOB station. Hope that helps!
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 3:09:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I ordered my tan 553 from Cheaper than Dirt for $619 a few days ago, should be here tomorrow or Friday.  I'll post pics when it gets in.  I have current pics (with an Eotech 512) up on the 1st page, I've built my gun from the ground up to be a SOPMOD Block II clone, the only liberties I took are my BattleComp 2.0 and Magpul trigger guard.

I can't wait for this expensive project to be done.  I have been following the Mk 18 thread religiously and would have gone that route, but Washington doesn't like short barrels.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Going to get dropped off at the shop say bye bye to the old destroyed LMT upper:

Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#42]
If I rebuild my upper into a Block II, I'm gonna use a govt. contoured 14.5" mid-length barrel.  I know it's not to spec but all those details will be under the rails anyways.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Very nice Matt. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Going to get dropped off at the shop say bye bye to the old destroyed LMT upper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/610e9f0e.jpg

What was destroyed on it?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#45]
If I rebuild my upper into a Block II, I'm gonna use a govt. contoured 14.5" mid-length barrel.  I know it's not to spec but all those details will be under the rails anyways.

You'll have to remove the M203 mounts from inside the rail, they happen to be exactly where the midlength gas block resides.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By damcv62:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v404/dillsmod/610e9f0e.jpg

What was destroyed on it?

Flash hider, gas tube, gas block, and possibly barrel threads but I think their ok. It's not destroyed but it just need a good once over at a proper machine shop/installer, which is where she's going this evening.
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 4:47:20 PM EDT
[#47]
New SOPMOD II VBL from Insight (second half of the video) and as well as the NEW SU-231A !

definitely will cost you more $
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Will816:

You'll have to remove the M203 mounts from inside the rail, they happen to be exactly where the midlength gas block resides.

I've only seen my brother's Mk18 rails so I don't know - but are the 203 mounts removable or will this require "no-looking-back-now" mods?
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Seiran:

Originally Posted By jockdeeznutz:

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2161/imag0069c.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4880/imag0070ix.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1282/imag0077ml.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/9156/imag0075qw.jpg

How are you enjoying the battlecomp?

I'm loving it....works like everyone says
Link Posted: 7/14/2011 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I've only seen my brother's Mk18 rails so I don't know - but are the 203 mounts removable or will this require "no-looking-back-now" mods?

A couple of screws hold them in.  They can be easily removed and reattached when the rail is off the rifle.  They can not be re-installed when the rail is on a rifle.
Page / 905
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top