Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 228
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:53:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Vehemence:
All of my 14.5" & 14.7" M4 profile barrels came with a bottom front sling loop.  I noticed a long time ago that all of the military models and most of the clones posted here don't have these.  Did you all just remove them with a punch and hammer?

I have added side sling mounts to all of them a few years ago, but because of this, they all have both the front and side loops and that has been bugging me for a long time.

I've been vacillating on whether or not to punch the bottom ones out - what do y'all think?

My hesitation is that if I do, I can't rivet it back in if I decide to later and am hesitant to remove an OEM Colt part, even just a tiny unused one.

So, remove, or keep both?

Thanks.
View Quote
Remove it with a punch. It's archaic at best.

For page ownage:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I removed mine almost immediately.  I kept the swivel but do not foresee ever putting it back on.  The Colt side sling swivel is far better in every way.

I used a straight punch, slightly smaller than the hole.  Basically, use one that fits into the rivet depression.  Generally one decent whack with a regular sized hammer will spew the rivet right out.  Make sure it's a straight shaft punch as a tapered one could jam in the FSB pivot hole.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Vehemence:
All of my 14.5" & 14.7" M4 profile barrels came with a bottom front sling loop.  I noticed a long time ago that all of the military models and most of the clones posted here don't have these.  Did you all just remove them with a punch and hammer?

I have added side sling mounts to all of them a few years ago, but because of this, they all have both the front and side loops and that has been bugging me for a long time.

I've been vacillating on whether or not to punch the bottom ones out - what do y'all think?

My hesitation is that if I do, I can't rivet it back in if I decide to later and am hesitant to remove an OEM Colt part, even just a tiny unused one.

So, remove, or keep both?

Thanks.
View Quote
I don't care for the bottom sling swivel and I think I only have one AR with them on still.  FWIW, I knock them out with a punch and hammer all the time before adding the side sling swivel.  I had one AR (my daughter's) that I replaced the barrel on and since she likes them I put a bottom sling swivel back on it.  I used one of the old rivets and sling swivels that I had kept and it worked out well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
One down, several to go.  Thanks guys.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

3 down.  Better head over to the EE and post a WTS.

I kid, I kid.

Thanks again, they look a hell of a lot better now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MILSPEC556:

Are you saying they have the factory bottom sling swivel, and the side sling swivel?

Remove the bottom sling swivel. Yes hammer and punch. Keep the side sling swivel if it’s Colt as well
View Quote

I did (see above)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
1.5er
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:04:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4AZ] [#10]
Picked up a new old stock upper. Came with C marked upper, BCG, barrel, and KAC rail. Unfired and the covered in dust since it was sitting in the back of the gun shop for so long.

Funny thing is I went in since they had new colt uppers for $850 with no rail. And they guy said he had one in the back with a rail but it had a couple of marks on it from the normal banging around and said I could have it for $650. Wallet came out real quick.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]
1.5 time. Have a 14.5 barrel that’s a D.Wilson to get cut down so that will probably eventually end up on here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Can anyone walk me through exactly what I need to order from ADCO to chop a LE6920 barrel down to 14.7 and pin/weld? I see threading, crowing, M4 contour...I don't see shortening, which I assume is step one. Also, what should I expect to pay roughly, assuming I send them a barrel with the fsp still attached?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions!  And yes, I know I could just email them, but I figured I'd get a little guidance here before I wasted their time with dumb questions. Minimize the number of things I have to ask a busy shop and all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cayman_shen:
Can anyone walk me through exactly what I need to order from ADCO to chop a LE6920 barrel down to 14.7 and pin/weld? I see threading, crowing, M4 contour...I don't see shortening, which I assume is step one. Also, what should I expect to pay roughly, assuming I send them a barrel with the fsp still attached?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions!  And yes, I know I could just email them, but I figured I'd get a little guidance here before I wasted their time with dumb questions. Minimize the number of things I have to ask a busy shop and all.
View Quote

You can ask in their INDUSTRY FORUM .

Personally, I'd contact JT at RETRO ARMS WORKS , the man is phenomenal in every aspect.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:22:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CMCctx] [#14]

View Quote

I haven't looked in a while, but IIRC threading states that it includes cutting down.

Edit: that is correct.

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/gunsmithing/arstandard-barrel-threading/

"If you want the barrel shortened note length in the comment section"
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I will second Retro Arms.  He did a barrel for me last year, I had a Colt barrel cut to 14.5" and an extended A2 flash suppressor pinned and welded, and you could barely tell where it was done.  He machines the pin/weld and refinishes the front part of the barrel from the cut forward so it looks great.  I sold the AR it's on but I have a pic of the front of the barrel that I expanded (somewhat crappy photo unfortunately).

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CMCctx:

I haven't looked in a while, but IIRC threading states that it includes cutting down.

Edit: that is correct.

"If you want the barrel shortened note length in the comment section"
View Quote

I didn't even see that, sheesh. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:
I will second Retro Arms.  He did a barrel for me last year, I had a Colt barrel cut to 14.5" and an extended A2 flash suppressor pinned and welded, and you could barely tell where it was done.  He machines the pin/weld and refinishes the front part of the barrel from the cut forward so it looks great.  I sold the AR it's on but I have a pic of the front of the barrel that I expanded (somewhat crappy photo unfortunately).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137/Left_barrel_front_jpg-1800960.JPG
View Quote

May I ask what that ran you, if you recall? Working out a rough budget for this build.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#18]

May I ask what that ran you, if you recall? Working out a rough budget for this build.
View Quote

This is what he quoted me at the time.  I was able to pick up and deliver in person so that was not charged, but otherwise this is the total cost.

$55 - cut/crown/thread barrel
$50 - pin/weld muzzle device
$16 - shipping/insurance on one barrel
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:50:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cayman_shen] [#19]
Perfect. Thanks!

Next question: I've seen a number of Eotech 552 pics here, but they typically have a2 flash hiders. So mws, not block 1?  Also, at least one person, way back in the middle of this huge thread, mentioned using an Eotech 512 in service. Am I correct that they sometimes showed up in the wild? I don't need night vision, so I'm hoping to save a hundred bucks and still satisfy my anal retentivity.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 10:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: opie999] [#20]
derp
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#21]
When did the Vickers slings start showing up? I have a build going that's pretty 2005, and I feel like the Vickers slings come a lot later? Tried the vtac and just hated it. Can't get a silent sling through my hk hook to use with my cqd mount. The Vickers vcas is perfect. But is it correct?

Tried googling this but no love.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
When did the Vickers slings start showing up? I have a build going that's pretty 2005, and I feel like the Vickers slings come a lot later? Tried the vtac and just hated it. Can't get a silent sling through my hk hook to use with my cqd mount. The Vickers vcas is perfect. But is it correct?

Tried googling this but no love.
View Quote
This article seems to point to them being field tested in 2011 and issued an NSN in 2012.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Somewhat close. Law enforcement trade in factory Colt SBR.
I know I probably should have used an eotech but I like the aimpoint on here. 🤷
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

I wouldn't recommend it. You are going to lose the markings and there will be no step down at the end of the barrel. Also, a bayonet won't work at 14.7" if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Read carefully in BOLD:

This covers/includes cutting/crowning as well as threading. This service is for any AR15/AR10 barrel once it has been removed from the receiver, or any STRAIGHT barrel. AR barrels with the FSB in place are covered under this service/fee. This service also covers handgun barrels that need standard threads. that do NOT need to be extended. Threads will be concentric to the bore. Threads are either standard .400 for pistol caliber or .600 for rifle caliber.  There are no custom thread length or crown options.  If you want the barrel shortened note length in the comment section. This service also covers stripped barrels of other varieties. If the barrel will not drop through a round hole with a diameter slightly larger than that of the barrel, we will not thread you barrel under this service. If sent as a complete upper, the Disassemble/Reassemble service is required as well. Gas port work is included when necessary. When barrels are cut, they are all measured from a closed bolt face as the only standard measurement we use. Turn around for this service is 5-7 business days.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quick Q Re: Surefire S4P Installation and Pin/Welding:
  Do I need to install the S4P with rocksett and shims before sending in or does the shop need to be able to remove the device at some point in the Pin/Welding process?

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MILSPEC556] [#27]
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Whats the preference on SOPMOD stocks?  I see theirs a Bravo, Enhanced and stabdard.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:45:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
Whats the preference on SOPMOD stocks?  I see theirs a Bravo, Enhanced and stabdard.
View Quote

For a clone? Obviously the standard without QD.

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#30]
I appreciate everyone bearing with my dumb questions. I think I just have one more: does anyone have an in the wild picture of a PR with an EXPS sight and a M951 light? I'm sure that's a stretch, but I have a serious hardon for those old lights, and mine has a Malkoff led so it's actually usable, but I might want the EXPS3-0 optic.  If not, I may trade it for a m952v-tn, but I dunno if that combo would fly either. I've seen both in this thread, but again not "in the wild."

And yes, I've googled for days and days looking at military pics.

My 14.7 pw barrel should arrive back from Retro Arms Works today...super fast turn around, good prices, and amazing communication from him, so thanks a million to those who chimed in.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 3:03:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#31]
How do you do, fellow clonerguys?  I was hoping somebody could point me in the right direction.  I'm putting together some semblance of a clone here.  No clue if this is close to a clone or just a combination of parts that have been used on various clone guns.  I'm wanting to get one of those UID stickers and could use some help making sure I get the right numbers on it.

PSA M4A1 lower
Colt complete 14.5" upper with FSB, not pinned and welded
Colt guts in the lower and buffer tube
KAC RAS rail
Aimpoint PRO
matech sight
surefire scout light

Still waiting on...
Tax stamp
KAC foregrip
B5 sopmod stock
Colt ambi selector

Since it has a lot of colt parts in it, I was leaning towards using the "colt m4" style UID sticker.  https://carolinalaserworks.ecwid.com/Colt-M4-M-16-0-75-UID-p87250208  Given that its a PSA lower, M4A1 model, and serial number W000223, what values would be the most correct for the sticker?

From what I'm googling,
CAGE: 7XC20
PART:  12972700
SERIAL: W000223

Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lama] [#32]
New build using a CR6920
IMG_1463 by dean350b, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
Given that its a PSA lower, M4A1 model, and serial number W000223, what values would be the most correct for the sticker?

From what I'm googling,
CAGE: 7XC20
PART:  12972700
SERIAL: W000223
View Quote

Looks right and proper to me.  Also that's a pretty rad serial # for an AR.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a heads up, 14.5 govt bbls at TBA

NOS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 3:51:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Found these on the Marine Force Recon Gram page.

Interesting scope mountings. One has a backwards G mount on a riser and the other looks like it's mounted bridging the gap.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#37]

Gotta change the mount soon
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 1:44:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dyzastr] [#38]
Originally Posted By pezboytate:
Insight VLI
View Quote
VLI (very little illumination) or (very large illuminator)
that was a pretty steep price on ginbroker

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Su233 @ 6 o’clock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Heads up......

SAC has USGI side sling swivels in stock.

Also a handful of M4A1 URGs/NOS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I just received, from Brownells, a genuine Colt ambi selector assembly.  It's the FA version, but even turned to the Auto setting it still locks the trigger and acts as a safety.  However the cool thing about it is both of the levers are marked with the Colt's CAGE 13629.  I put it in my Block 1 clone (or MWS clone) as I have seen it listed as an option, I need this rifle to be fully usable real world, and an ambi selector is good to have.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:54:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:
I just received, from Brownells, a genuine Colt ambi selector assembly.  It's the FA version, but even turned to the Auto setting it still locks the trigger and acts as a safety.  However the cool thing about it is both of the levers are marked with the Colt's CAGE 13629.  I put it in my Block 1 clone (or MWS clone) as I have seen it listed as an option, I need this rifle to be fully usable real world, and an ambi selector is good to have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137/Selector_left_JPG-1831029.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137/Selector_right_ambi_JPG-1831030.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/137/Rifle_right_ambi_jpg-1831032.JPG
View Quote

Looks nice.  I'm watching for a selector, I just missed them when they came back in stock.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:20:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZeusLS3] [#43]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#44]
Chainsaw me if you must, but im pretty excited. Got the collar in today and mounted it up, did a few test shots and im very pleased
M4gery I think is my new favorite range toy.

Surplus take off Diemaco upper, colt c stamp bcg, '98 colt gov profile barrel, '98 KAC RAS (Vero beach panels and broomstick), and (sorry) a B5 Gen 1 contract SOPMOD.
Attachment Attached File

Just gotta find me a side sling swivel.. I keep missing them
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kmcale] [#46]
Anybody have an acog thumbscrew they fancy getting rid of? Really wanting to carry handle mount this TA01
Attachment Attached File

"JN8:12", is this cloney?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:44:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#47]

MRDS has since been moved over to my CAG Glock Build
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#49]
This was taken in 2005. My squad was assigned to PSD duty and the Colonel got us eotechs and lights , our m4s were issued with carry handles and KAC rails kits.
Anyone know what model eotech and surefire they could be, both took 123 batteries.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:49:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jparish62] [#50]
Originally Posted By grizzlygunner999:
This was taken in 2005. My squad was assigned to PSD duty and the Colonel got us eotechs and lights , our m4s were issued with carry handles and KAC rails kits.
Anyone know what model eotech and surefire they could be, both took 123 batteries.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463612/20210228_084422_jpg-1844852.JPG
View Quote

The Eotech looks like  it could be a 551 or 552 and the light is an M961 or 962

ETA: actually I think the 552 is a shorter model so I'm likely wrong on that. I was in the same time as you, but the marine corps was still predominantly still using irons at the time
Page / 228
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top