Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/30/2003 6:31:40 AM EDT
Was just looking at Brightflashlites' post in the EE.  If I had the M3 Combatlight with the isolated bezel, how might one mount it to a carbine with mid-length handguards?  If I decide I want a tapeswitch, can it be done?  Would I be better off with a dedicated weaponlight like the 660 than trying something like this?  What should a 660 cost comparatively?  120 lumens vs. 60 lumens seems significant... Still trying to decide, dg.

edited to correct spelling
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The 660 will run around $200 from Surefire.  For indoor use the 60 lumen is fine - go for more if your outside (or have to clear really big buildings ;) ).

There is another recent thread on the M3.  It has a focusing issue and I don't like it for carbines for that reason.  You're much better off with a Surefire product for the carbine IMHO.

600 series is good - as are Surefire's handgun lights (which are similar in design to the M3 and you can get them with tape switches).  Again price range is around $200 depending on model.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Forest is not seeing the wood for the trees.

The "M3" is the SureFire M3 Millennium Series CombatLight.
M = Millennium Series
3 = three SF123A batteries

There are other M3, M-3 etc models including the M-3 from Insight/Streamlight which is a two cell light for mounting on handguns.

Anyway,

1) The tape pressure switch I suggest for the M3 is the SUxx (where xx is the length of the cable in inches - example SU06 has a 6" cable)

2) A dedicated weaponlight always on your weapon with a handheld flashlight on your person is a good idea - especially if they have interchangeable parts - SureFire take this very seriously.
The M3 isn't designed or intended for weapon mounting [although it can be and has been used as such] - it would be an excellent handheld flashlight paired with a Millennium Universal WeaponLight using the same bezel and lamps such as the M961C etc (or an M900A for example)

The 660 is a two SF123A battery WeaponLight with a 5" cable tape pressure switch.
SureFire also offers a three SF123A battery WeaponLight version. I believe it is the 990 or 960 Special order.

The 660 is going to be the cheapest option because it comes with switch and mount where as the M3 requires the tape switch and suitable mount(s).

SureFire gives you many options - I hope that you would consider talking to SureFire Customer Service or an experienced SureFire Dealer about your many options in addition to advice from the internet.

Al
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys-  I'm getting this deal figured out now...  dg
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think Forest is not seeing the wood for the trees.
View Quote

Got me there - I see M3 and I'm thinking of the other company.

The 660 is a two SF123A battery WeaponLight with a 5" cable tape pressure switch.
View Quote

You can also order this direct from the company with a push button endcap (it will require a phone call or e-mail).
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top